Review of Charger Xtar XP4

sbbsga

Enlightened
penals? at a corner? split apart? :confused:

sure.
whatever.

gu6uzy6u.jpg

Here is the photo. Top and bottom panels, split apart at the bottom right corner. Sorry if this is still confusing. Anyway, the context was, the charger failed structurally, could be on any other side, photo or not. I hope yours will not end up like this if you have one or more.

Sent from mobile device.

Last edited:

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
gu6uzy6u.jpg

Here is the photo. Top and bottom panels, split apart at the bottom right corner. Sorry if this is still confusing. Anyway, the context was, the charger failed structurally, could be on any other side, photo or not. I hope yours will not end up like this if you have one or more.

Sent from mobile device.

The same thing happen with my NiteCore i4 charger due to tight tension on the springs , I just superglued mine.

sbbsga

Enlightened
The same thing happen with my NiteCore i4 charger due to tight tension on the springs , I just superglued mine.

I thought about that too. Anyway, if the replacement opens up, I would just fix it myself or I could just glue them right out of the box. :D

We'll see. :)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now i am getting it. Of course. Thanks for sharing the photo!

Aren't the panels held together with 4 screws? :)

sbbsga

Enlightened
Unfortunately, the replacement failed at the same corner too. :shakehead I will just glue them up this time.

[UPDATE: 13.11.2013]
It was the right side that split. Now, the left side. Not so apparent because the right corner has been glued but gap widens when that corner is loaded up.

I hope XTAR responds to this issue, it cannot be an isolated case as this is my second unit which replaced the first one that have the same problem. Cost of shipping will be raking up if I am suggested to keep shipping damaged units back.

Last edited:

Ares

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if they fixed the NiMH issue in the production model??

ggroyal1117

Newly Enlightened
This charger does a great job charging my Sanyo XX eneloop 2450ma AA nimh batteries. They are barely warm at end of charging. I charge them at .5 amps.
No problems charging 14350, 18650, and 26650 li-ion batteries. I have not tried the USB port.
I have not seen any cracks or separations on the case. Also, I have the Xtar VP1 and SP2 chargers.

ggroyal1117

Newly Enlightened
I charged my 160mah single cell lipo batteries for my nano quadcopter using a 4000mah 26650 4seven li-ion battery in slot four.
The Eflite single cell lipo charger plugs into the USB port.

Thanks for the excellent review of the Xtar XP4 charger.

lowks

Newly Enlightened
There is a new revision of this charger which has been released to the market and according to the marketing person, they have and I quote "XP4's inductance has been changed in new version and can be cooler about 10℃."

I believe this is rev 4

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would one know what version you are buying? Any markings on the box or on the charger itself?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a new revision of this charger which has been released to the market and according to the marketing person, they have and I quote "XP4's inductance has been changed in new version and can be cooler about 10℃."

I believe this is rev 4

can you please post a new review of the new version?

lowks

Newly Enlightened
How would one know what version you are buying? Any markings on the box or on the charger itself?

From what I can see, I don't see any markings on the charger's casing itself indicating the version of the charger. Probably the PCB inside would have some sort of marking.

viperxp

Enlightened
I will have the latest XP4 version hopefully within a week. I can post a review of the charger. It will not be as half as technical and profound as HKJ's one, but it will answer some interesting questions. Are you guys interested?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have the latest XP4 version hopefully within a week. I can post a review of the charger. It will not be as half as technical and profound as HKJ's one, but it will answer some interesting questions. Are you guys interested?

a tear-down would be helpful to demonstrate that you have the latest production iteration :p