Ridiculously Powerful HID to run on 12V Socket?

Daekar

Enlightened
I've got my N30 and I'm thrilled with it, but as any good flashaholic knows, enough is never enough. I'm not interested in spending an enormous amount of money for a battery pack and light, I'd really just like the light with a cord to plug into my car for use while the engine is running. If it has an SLA and charger which will allow me to leave it plugged into AC power to safely trickle-charge 24/7, that's fine too, as long as it runs off of 12V socket...Are there any large-reflector HIDs out there for a reasonable price that will put out 6000+ lumens? Really the more the merrier, I'd love 10,000+...

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've got my N30 and I'm thrilled with it, but as any good flashaholic knows, enough is never enough. I'm not interested in spending an enormous amount of money for a battery pack and light, I'd really just like the light with a cord to plug into my car for use while the engine is running. If it has an SLA and charger which will allow me to leave it plugged into AC power to safely trickle-charge 24/7, that's fine too, as long as it runs off of 12V socket...Are there any large-reflector HIDs out there for a reasonable price that will put out 6000+ lumens? Really the more the merrier, I'd love 10,000+...

There just aren't many choices out there above 35W without getting into to mods.

The X990 does have a 12 volts option just not the 6000+ lumens you're looking for. I use mine off 12 volt 3 or 4 times a year and it really does great. When it's plugged into 12 volt it's much lighter and that makes a huge difference after holding it out of the truck window for hours. I don't know if holding for extended periods of time would be something that you'll be doing but if you are, onboard SLA's are terribly tiring due to the weight.

Daekar

Enlightened
Hrmm... well I guess after I finish building my computer I'll have to start looking at HID mods. I suppose the primary things to search for would be bulbs and ballasts, yes? After those were selected I could match them with a reflector... it would be nice to avoid the battery altogether, hopefully there are ballasts out there meant for that. Anybody got any bulb/ballast links?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind most 12V outlets in cars are only good for about 100W before they blow their fuses.

Daekar

Enlightened
Keep in mind most 12V outlets in cars are only good for about 100W before they blow their fuses.

Yes, I was planning on wiring a heavy-duty socket with large-gauge wire directly to the battery - I should be able to figure out what kind of fuse to put in-line to protect the system while allowing sufficient current flow with some simple math.

Right now the most powerful 12V ballast I've found is only 50W, and I'd like to do at least 100W. It would be annoying but I might be doomed to wiring in a power-inverter and using an AC ballast. A 3000K or 4000K bulb pushing 7000 lumens for 100W over 11000 lumens for 150W wouldn't be that expensive either... or at least those are the specs claimed on bulbs.com I'm beginning to think that I would be able to light my whole apartment with one or two HID fixtures and use the same amount of energy as CFLs... :whistle:

Anybody else have any ideas?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mega Illuminator can run directly off of DC - they're 3200+ lumens each and the price is reasonable so just buy multiples. :)

NeonJohn

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I was planning on wiring a heavy-duty socket with large-gauge wire directly to the battery - I should be able to figure out what kind of fuse to put in-line to protect the system while allowing sufficient current flow with some simple math.

Right now the most powerful 12V ballast I've found is only 50W, and I'd like to do at least 100W. It would be annoying but I might be doomed to wiring in a power-inverter and using an AC ballast. A 3000K or 4000K bulb pushing 7000 lumens for 100W over 11000 lumens for 150W wouldn't be that expensive either... or at least those are the specs claimed on bulbs.com

These guys have a 70 watt ballast. It's designed to operate a double-ended bulb but it should work fine with a D2 bulb. Drop 'em a line and see.

I'm beginning to think that I would be able to light my whole apartment with one or two HID fixtures and use the same amount of energy as CFLs... :whistle:
CFLs still have the edge in efficiency, they just can't compete with HIDs or LEDs for surface brightness.

You could light your apartment with HIDs but the result would not be pleasant. Conventional long-arc HIDs are significantly more efficient than the short arc versions. Efficiency is one of those things that is sacrificed to get a small arc size and high emission.

You can buy a 175 watt HID lamp in an envelope about the size of a 100 watt light bulb at Home Depot for less than $20. A 175 watt mercury vapor security light ballast will usually strike that lamp. If not, add a few more turns to the ballast. Less than $50 if you shop carefully.

I built a "trouble light" (drop light) around that configuration, with the ballast in a small metal box. It works great, produces massive light for its size and doesn't make too much heat.

The problem you'll run into in trying to satisfactorily light your apartment, for example, is that the relatively point-source of light is harsh and produces lots of glare and sharp shadows. It's still much more pleasing to light with diffuse light from several luminairies or tubular sources such as neon tubes using "incandescent" phosphor.

John

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
who makes this said Mega Illuminator and YES i am searching.

Patriot

Flashaholic

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mega illuminator is the new version of the old Costco/HF HID. The light is all throw by the way and not as versatile as the N30 in many respects. When I use a corded spotlight I'm still holding and handling the light...out a truck window for example. I cant imagine doing that with the "Mega" because it huge and cantankerous.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/mega-illuminator.html

Hmmm, I think I'd take the N30 over that, purely because the N30 uses NiMH and isn't so damn heavy.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood - but the Mega has the run for DC setup Daekar had asked after.

A more elegant solution is an AE Xenide with a DC contstant run adaptor.