River Rock lantern review - FlashlightReviews.com

Kilted

Enlightened
It seems to me the best mod for this light would to figure out how to frost the lens inside to even out the light.

=D~~ Kilted

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilted said:
It seems to me the best mod for this light would to figure out how to frost the lens inside to even out the light.

=D~~ Kilted

Superglue fumes?

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam said:
Well, it almost sounds like the Brookstone lantern isn't worth the expenditure of my meagre resources.....

I'm starting to think you are correct. Maybe I need to find my way to Target...

-john

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSax, don't know about how it compares to the Osram, as the only one I have seen was at PF4! But, for $20, you can't go wrong. This is a great little lantern, and a great value. You won't be disappointed, I don't think. It can be a little glare-y, it's true, especially at close range. I think maybe the reason the globe isn't frosted is because they wanted the led and the various reflective cones and surfaces to be visible. It's pretty high-tech looking for what you'd find at retail. I also don't doubt the waterproof tests done; the battery compartment is quite tight and requires a good amount of torque to remove. I use nimh in mine, and it runs a long time with constant output before I can notice it dimming.

txmatt

Enlightened
I don't think the glare mentioned from the River Rock is a big deal. It comes with the territory with relatively bright lanterns. Ever glanced directly at a Coleman lantern with the mantle(s) blazing away? Any bright light source is going to be distracting when looked directly at in the dark.

That's not to say I won't try wax paper or Writeright to diffuse the source a little, but glare from a bright lantern should be expected as far as I'm concerned: no glare, no glory. ;)

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left, River Rock Lantern. Right, Osram Lantern

dsc011467tf.jpg

dsc011457ri.jpg

dsc011445hl.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. The Osram lantern looks like it is the same as the Brookstone which looks the same as the Bruton.

-john

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone else notice that the battery compartment is labeled for 3 batteries with their "+" facing up and 1 battery with its "-" facing up? My lantern would not work this way. I ended up getting it to work with 2 batteries up and 2 down.

Overall the lantern isn't too bad. Not as bright as I had hoped. I have some of the fluorescent 4AA folding lanterns from Big Lots that are about as bright. I wouldn't have purchased the River Rock if I would have known it wasn't going to be significantly brighter. I feel bad returning a perfectly good item to the store just because I don't like it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
electronics4life said:
...I feel bad returning a perfectly good item to the store just because I don't like it.
If you wish to sell it to me and you have a Paypal account, I'd be more than happy to relieve you of it - in the name of science of course, so I can add it to my website.
Just PM me your Paypal address and a total amount, and I'll take care of it immediately upon receipt.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
elect, if you mean the Energizer 4AA/2 led folding lantern, you have a serious problem with your River Rock lantern. The RR lantern is WAY brighter; not even close. If you meant Energizer 4D fluorescent folding lantern, that one is much brighter than the RR. Maybe you have a bum lantern? Could it be your batteries are weak or one is dead, and you are not running in regulation?

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a couple of these RR LED lanterns from Target. It's still daylight out, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. I put on some Glad Press N' Seal plastic wrap to act as a diffuser.

I've been looking to get some LED lanterns for emergency/blackout use. Hopefully, these will fit the bill.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wutda said:
I just picked up a couple of these RR LED lanterns from Target. It's still daylight out, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. I put on some Glad Press N' Seal plastic wrap to act as a diffuser.

OK, you have got to let me in on the Glad Wrap thing. I have used WriteRight, scotch tape and wax paper.

WriteRight works well, but in order to cover the RR lantern globe it requires patchworking 4 or 5 of the small pieces.

Isn't Glad Wrap just clear plastic? How well does it diffuse?

Mark

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
Flash_Gordon,

The Glad Press N Seal is not clear plastic. It's kinda pebbled in texture. I took a couple of pics and will be in the process of posting them.

Please bear with me, this will be the first time I have attempted to post a pic here on CPF.

I'll post 'em real soon.

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
OK. Hopefully, these pics show up and I don't get spanked by the admins if I did something wrong...

First, the RR lantern with the Glad Press N Seal around it. This was in my bathroom
img03981ko.jpg

This pic is just the Glad Press N seal on my window. Don't know if you can see the texture on it.
img04035xo.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for the pic hosting.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Great idea, Wutda. I have removed the wax paper from my lantern and replaced it with the Press N Seal. A much more elegant solution. Didn't even have to buy any since my wife already had some. Thanks.

Geoff

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
Great idea, Wutda. I have removed the wax paper from my lantern and replaced it with the Press N Seal. A much more elegant solution. Didn't even have to buy any since my wife already had some. Thanks.

Geoff

Cool. I'm glad someone besides myself tried it. My wife just rolled her eyes when I showed her :)

I too had some of this press n seal already in the house. IMHO it works great and you can always remove it.

Anyone know how hot this lantern gets when running for extended periods? I'm hoping not too hot as to melt the press n seal.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmmm, gonna have to try the press n' seal trick. By the way Wutda, that lantern doesn't get anywhere near warm enough to affect the press n' seal.

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
zespectre said:
Hrmmm, gonna have to try the press n' seal trick. By the way Wutda, that lantern doesn't get anywhere near warm enough to affect the press n' seal.

Thanks for that info zespectre. It would have been a bummer if the lantern got too hot for the press n seal.