River Rock lantern review - FlashlightReviews.com

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse me, but where would one might find this light at target? I searched the camping dept, the flashlight dept by the light bulbs, toys and electronics and did not see it. I did however see some cheap plastic ones, much similar to the ones you see at walmart.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of them have them, some of them don't.

Update on the Brookstone lanterns - I went to the mall and found a Brookstone store. They have four 5mm LEDs inside. One click turns on 1 LED, next turns on all 4, next turns it off. Very unimpressive. I won't be getting them for review.

Kilted

Enlightened
Wutda said:
I just picked up a couple of these RR LED lanterns from Target. It's still daylight out, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. I put on some Glad Press N' Seal plastic wrap to act as a diffuser.

I've been looking to get some LED lanterns for emergency/blackout use. Hopefully, these will fit the bill.

Ok, I tried the Glad Press'n Seal also. ***** to put on, thinking of making a pattern and trying over.

Other than that IT WORKS! Smoothes out the beam very well.

=D~~ Kilted

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
Kilted said:
Ok, I tried the Glad Press'n Seal also. ***** to put on, thinking of making a pattern and trying over.

Other than that IT WORKS! Smoothes out the beam very well.

=D~~ Kilted

Yeah...I literally just slapped it on the lantern. I tried to get it as smooth as possible, but there were still a few wrinkles. Don't know if the wrinkles affects the light quality though.

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
I used my folding fluorescent lantern for a mere 20 minutes this weekend. The River Rock is now substantially brighter, and should stay that brightness for 8 hours according to runtime tests provided on this forum. I guess I will keep it after all. Time to get some of that Glad press n seal.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I picked up the River Rock lantern at Target yesterday. I was amazed at the light output! I have an old Coleman 4C battery lantern that is at least 3 times the size of the RR lantern, and the RR blew it away on light output.

The RR lantern is small and light enough to take on backpacking trips (unless you're really into ultralight backpacking).

Should make an excellent tent light. A bargain for $20.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Purchased the River Rock lantern on the review.

Great little light. I am surprised at the quality, and the thought put into this thing. It's even got three little rubber pads on the bottom so it won't slide.

The tightly fitting bottom is a plus, as you won't inadvertantly lose the damn thing. Also it seals well.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

Did I mention the Jupiter is white as heck, no off color at all.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This lantern is one of the lights I would put into the "damn nice performer and quality for the buck" class, along with the likes of the SL Propoly Lux and Fenix, to name a few of the most recent ones. I run mine on nimh, and it works great.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnK said:
Buy one, you won't regret it.

I did buy one, and I did regret it.

I regretted not buying 2 more. By the time I realized my mistake, the store was sold out of them. I had to hit 4 more Target stores before I found a store that had any of them. I bought the last 2.

BTW, fantastic tip about the Press 'N Seal.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
The word must be out... the local Target by my office is sold out of the RR Lantern. I'd agree, this light ranks right up there with the SL ProPoly 4AA Lux as the best light for the buck honors.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I sit between two targets and damned if they don't BOTH keep selling out of the RR Lantern, the .5watt 2xAAA, and the 2xAA. The 2xC seems to hang around a bit.

Darnit, I want to stock up on the .5watts and the lanterns as gifts!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to see them at my targets. I even asked someone who worked there. They looked, but all they could find was the coleman fuel and cf ones, then the cheap rayovac ones.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Target in Rockville MD (right near the RIO mall) was FULLY stocked with Inova and River Rock lights including the River Rock LED/Incandescent combo light which I hadn't seen before. The wife and I were headed out camping and swung by there en route.

Well, okay, they aren't fully stocked now as I bought all 5 of the .5 watt 2xAAA lights they had for Christmas presents.

InfidelCastro

Banned
These lanterns sound really neat. I think I might wait to see if they put a dimmer switch on them though before I buy. I also don't understand why it's a AA, but whatever. I'd rather have it use D's. But for something like backpacking, AA's are best, I agree.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ICast, maybe you shouldn't wait. This light appears to be selling like hotcakes, so I think it's doubtful the manufacturer will be modifying it any time soon. Besides, with AAs, you can more easily use nimh cells, and get even longer runtime.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
With an 8 hour runtime, it's a pretty efficient lantern using 4 AA cells. I've yet to use up the included AA alkaline batteries that came with it.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
These lanterns sound really neat. I think I might wait to see if they put a dimmer switch on them though before I buy. I also don't understand why it's a AA, but whatever. I'd rather have it use D's. But for something like backpacking, AA's are best, I agree.

You may not realize how small this lantern is. 4 D cells would cause the size and weight to at least double.

I also wish it had a low level as opposed to the strobe function. A good mod candidate for this.

It runs great on the AAs. I have over 9 hours on my first set.

If you can find one, I'm pretty sure you will not be disappointed. If you are, it would go in B/S/T in a heartbeat.

Mark

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
@ Wutda

Wife eye rolling... I know the feeling man! Just remind her that addictions come in much worse forms than flashlights, and she should be lucky if flashlights is your addiction ;)

I love this light. I used to have a flourescent lantern to take camping. If I rolled into a campsite at dark and had to have some light to start unpacking I could use the flourescent first then once the propane lantern and bottles were unpacked switch to those. But this little guy is lighter and takes less room, is easier to have sitting right on the top of everything else ready to use immediately, looks as bright as my flourescent (althought the output isn't as even... gotta try that Press N' Seal idea), won't burn out and make me look all over the place for a replacement bulb, won't give fits starting in cold weather, and uses cheap rechargeable or Alkaline AA's!

If you use it in a corner or edge of an area, you can wrap aluminum foil (shiny side facing the LED of course) around half the lantern and get a little more brightness towards the other direction. Helps fill in the gaps a little too! :)