Rogue Flashlights by ICON

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
PK (and Icon) will have to deal with A LOT of preconception. That´s sad...

Anyway, these new lights looks sweet!
I really liked the titanium gray model. The finish looks excellent!

Best wishes to Paul Kim in this new project!

I´m anxiously waiting for some reviews from fellow CPFers...

ugrey

Enlightened
Everybody has an opinion, so do I. The logo on the head looks terrible, it makes the light look cheap. The body diameter seems way too big with the ribs or whatever they are called. Better, brighter, SMALLER? Minus those two things, I would love to buy one. It would last me the rest of my life and would be a great beater/general use light that I could feed cheap AAs. For now, I am very happy with my Fenix lights.

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
Man this thread is getting some serious attention!! I like the look of these (especially the gray 1xAA) but I definitely agree with some of the previous posters about the logo on the head...it looks horrible! To tell you the truth, at first glance I thought the logo was actually a 2nd LED to double as a headlamp (ala the Zebralights)...I really need to get my eyes examined :crackup:

I'll probably wind up getting one and buying an aftermarket option for the head...'icon-to-c' adapters anyone?!?

Centropolis

Enlightened
Re: Icon Flashlight by Surefire

The fact that SF is spinning off a new brand, logo, design, battery style, et al, is probably a strong indication that the real SureFire brand will remain unchanged, and uninfluenced by Icon.

I'm not going to jump down their throats because they want to play with a new brand. If I don't like what they do with Icon, I won't buy.

Actually, I think of this the opposite. They are setting up a plant in China now to help the workers there to get more experienced and acquire the expertise in making flashlights. And once they think the plant in China has enough experience, they'll start slowing making Surefires over there instead.

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened

Actually, I think of this the opposite. They are setting up a plant in China now to help the workers there to get more experienced and acquire the expertise in making flashlights. And once they think the plant in China has enough experience, they'll start slowing making Surefires over there instead.

Agreed. Even if it's not the primary driving factor behind this new brand, I'm sure they WILL consider the option down the road. Will the level of experience and expertise in the new factory be up to the SF standards? Probably. Is it in their best interest given the 'made in USA' push? who knows, although there are definitely strong opinions here...

carrot

Flashaholic

All those worried about Surefire moving production to China...

Consider that Surefire has a government contract. Government contractors supply USA made goods to our military, not imported.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps they will keep what they need in the US for the contract work and move the rest to China as mentioned.....there is nothing sacred in "made at home" anymore. Just a side note; from my own experience, Chinese made Spyderco's (Byrd) are actually better made than the US made models.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

:sick2: What? I can't believe that.

Well, I bought two Spyderco Yojimbo's, one black and one blue. Where should I start......there is no consistency in the two, locks are of different thickness and lock in different spots.....the blades differ in length by 1/8"....one has a straight edge the other slightly curved.....there is a slight fault in one of the handle scales.....the pocket clip on one is in the middle of the handle and the other is to one side.....

Now, I also have two Byrd Hawksbill folders and these are like twins.....exactly the same in all respects.....fit and finish is near perfect.....no other comments here.

Don't get me wrong, I love all of my Spyderco folders but the idea of "made at home" (for westerners) no longer is an advantage or a guarantee of the best quality.....sad but true.

carrot

Flashaholic

Sorry, I have to tell you that your experience does not match mine and is probably a fluke. I have or have had about a dozen Golden-made (USA) Spydercos, probably a dozen more Seki-City (Japan) Spydercos, and a handful of Byrds (China) as well as a Tenacious (also China). F&F on the Chinese ones are GOOD but nowhere near the polish of the Japanese Spydercos. Golden is good but sometimes they let slide things that you would never see on a Japanese Spydie, like slight cosmetic marks from grinding shapes into G10 slabs. Also please keep in mind that Spyderco is constantly refining their models so if your two Yojimbos have different birthdates (check the box) it would explain some of the differences.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that the fact it is made in china it has to be cheap. It doesn't depend of the manufacturing country, it depends of the manufacture process. American products are normally better because they follow a series of rules and quality checks, but if chinese manufacturers follow the same process, they can make nice quality products as well.

Back to the flashlight, until now all we have is picture and specifications. We dont have any beamshots or tuntime tests (as far as I know) so throwing in almost $100 for a 2AA light is somewhat risky, imo... As for the 1AA version I believe there are way better options.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, I have to tell you that your experience does not match mine and is probably a fluke. I have or have had about a dozen Golden-made (USA) Spydercos, probably a dozen more Seki-City (Japan) Spydercos, and a handful of Byrds (China) as well as a Tenacious (also China). F&F on the Chinese ones are GOOD but nowhere near the polish of the Japanese Spydercos. Golden is good but sometimes they let slide things that you would never see on a Japanese Spydie, like slight cosmetic marks from grinding shapes into G10 slabs. Also please keep in mind that Spyderco is constantly refining their models so if your two Yojimbos have different birthdates (check the box) it would explain some of the differences.

Points taken on board.....but on one Yojimbo, blade is straight (the edge grind) and the other is clearly not straight making the lenght 1/8" shorter, clearly nothing to do with refining, just poor QC.......but enough of this and back to the ICON.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Anybody who is thinking that this is but the first step in moving SureFire production to China really doesn't know or understand SureFire at all.
I say it is precisely because ICON is a venture into international manufacturing that SureFire will be able to continue manufacturing as they are; as they have done so they can continue to do what they need to do - design and manufacturer the world's finest illumination tools for American forces.
Buy American is vital to achieving this goal.

ICON is separate from this. ICON is ICON.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find a some of the comments here interesting food for thought. /shrug

Anyway I like the body design, and the yellow/greenish color. Hopefully the lumens are accurate (true tested OTF); I agree that the runtimes seem a bit off.
The thing I don't get is why the output is so poor. With that body design there should be more than enough surface area and thermal mass to drive the LEDs harder. Maybe if the body ends up being really nice I'll get a new driver put in. There's tough competition from Eagletac for a simple 2-mode AA lights.
But first I want to see some beamshots of the beam profile and see if the regulation is decent. Thanks to those who decide to jump in first to test the waters.:grin2:

carrot

Flashaholic

Points taken on board.....but on one Yojimbo, blade is straight (the edge grind) and the other is clearly not straight making the lenght 1/8" shorter, clearly nothing to do with refining, just poor QC.......but enough of this and back to the ICON.
Out of my dozens of Spydercos, each is perfect or very close. Sorry, but yours is one that slipped through the cracks.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Anybody who is thinking that this is but the first step in moving SureFire production to China really doesn't know or understand SureFire at all.
I say it is precisely because ICON is a venture into international manufacturing that SureFire will be able to continue manufacturing as they are; as they have done so they can continue to do what they need to do - design and manufacturer the world's finest illumination tools for American forces.
Buy American is vital to achieving this goal.

ICON is separate from this. ICON is ICON.

No, I am not sure if I can fully understand any company that well to know what they future plans are.....with the world nowadays with manufacturing especially.

I am not for Chinese-made Surefires. I am just stating what other companies I know of have done to their production. I didn't think Arcteryx jackets would be made in China after doing so well making them in British Columbia.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Hopefully the lumens are accurate (true tested OTF)...

That´s my hope too.

I really liked Rogue 1 (1xAA) in Titanium gray color.

Alistair... did you see some of them in your own hands ?
What do you feel / think ? I mean... your impressions ?

(I´m just curious about it... I mean no offense, or bother you...)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a good product,

I especially like the extra thickness,makes it better to hold than those regular AA lights.

And if PK is behind it i have no problem forking over the dough for them.

Ordered 2pcs yesterday.
Icon Rogue 1 Lime Green
Icon Rogue 1 Grey

Will share my impression when i get them.

Benny