Roll Crimp (self done) saved the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have 5 Arc AAA and have had about 20 more pass through my hands. Including 2 LEs and a CPF. Anyway by hand selecting for best brigtness, color and beam I found a regular 2.x that was better than the 3.0s, LEs and CPF models. This one of course became my favorite. Unfourtanely it started to flicker/dim. I even posted in this forum about my frustration.

BUT..Thanks to the great tips here added a roll crimp myself on a piece of angle iron. Since then i've run a battery down and gone through 30-40 on off cycles with no problems! I took the foam off to do this. I then widend the hole in the foam and put it in the bottom of the flashlight (clean the sticky stuff off). The nipple in the bottom contacts the negitive teminal of the battery just fine. This seems to actually work better than the original method. Though it depends on the configuration of the neg side of the battery as to how much force is required to turn the light on. Also the battery doesn't turn inside the light as you turn it on. This would provide a "wiping" action on the positive terminal, I don't know if this is better or not.

I also found you can add a crimp even with the foam on, but its hard to tell if you did a good job or not.

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
I also have a white 2.x version that seems brighter than my original LE or new 3.1 LE. Haven't had the flicker problem yet(hope I don't), but maybe I will be able to "fix" it if I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.