• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator BATCH 2

TurboLou

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear the news but I still don't have the aluminum pieces made yet.
Do you know anyone who has one of these for now that I can buy?
Also can you use the stock mag switch with this regulator or will not be good enough for the high watt and and amp draw?

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear the news but I still don't have the aluminum pieces made yet.
Do you know anyone who has one of these for now that I can buy?
Also can you use the stock mag switch with this regulator or will not be good enough for the high watt and and amp draw?

I don't know of any one with an aluminum base for sale. You'd have to search around.

The stock mag switch is only used (electrically) to operate the regulator. It only carries ~10mA at most. The regulator bypasses the switch for the current going to the bulb. So it can handle more power at less resistance than even the best modified Mag switch. Check out the links in the top post of the sales thread. There are links there with instructions for installing the regulator on the switch body.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
fredx,
Your PM mailbox if full. Can you clear that thing out and confirm for me the name on the PayPal account that you used?
I'm pretty sure, but please confirm.
OK. Thanks. And sorry again for the delay.

fredx

Newly Enlightened
Sent you a PM- post#152 says I sent it to you the required paypal funds
Post #153 says per your own words" Got it- thanks"
I sent you the transaction # from pay pal
Paid to James Minihane--

Thank You

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sent you a PM- post#152 says I sent it to you the required paypal funds
Post #153 says per your own words" Got it- thanks"
I sent you the transaction # from pay pal
Paid to James Minihane--

Thank You
Whoa, whoa, whoa. fredx, I am perfectly happy to send you 2 unprogrammed regulators. I asked about the paypal because I did receive a paypal for 2 regulators. It was from Nancy H***** (last name obfuscated) If this is you, your regulators goes out today.

I was just double checking.
Originally I was going to suggest that I put your regulators aside, as I have done for someone else, and when you have specs ready, I program them send them out saving you double shipping.
Never mind. Your regulators get shipped today to Nancy H in Florida.

Also, since you seem fond of quoting me. How about thise quote from way back in the top post of this thread. "Please copy and paste the text of your CPF "I'll take it" post into your PayPal payment along with your CPF handle. You NEED to include your CPF handle."

Was your cpf handle in your paypal transaction? Neither was your name that you sign your PMs with. Just some lady named Nancy.

I just put your regulators in the mailbox for pickup later today.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
fredx, I'm trying to reply to your PM, but it says you're at your quota. You need to delete some inbox/sent messages.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Jimmy, how on earth could you not divine that Nancy H******* was for fredx? It was completely obvious to me. :laughing:

Just kidding you both, as I know it was an innocent mistake. Fred, just so you know, Jimmy is one of the best all time members here on CPF, and always wants to help you out! Gotta have a sense of humor sometimes on CPF !! :poke:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy, how on earth could you not divine that Nancy H******* was for fredx? It was completely obvious to me. :laughing:

Just kidding you both, as I know it was an innocent mistake. Fred, just so you know, Jimmy is one of the best all time members here on CPF, and always wants to help you out! Gotta have a sense of humor sometimes on CPF !! :poke:

Yeah. These things happen sometimes. Text is a terrible conveyor of tone.
Kind works, Lux. Thanks. Right back atcha.

Conte

Enlightened
What are the dimensions on these controllers ?
And are they still available ?

I'm wondering if I can cram one of these into my favorite Fulton.

Extra info if anyone cares:
I've done all the mag mods. Got a couple AW Incan drivers. Love them.
Sadly, 99% of the time my go to flashlight is my trusty Fulton Anglehead.
I run it with a couple of 26650 cells, and whatever bulb is the most appropriate. Typically something 6v 10w.
I'd love to run a ROP high in there with a controller to further expand it's capability.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the dimensions on these controllers ?
And are they still available ?

I'm wondering if I can cram one of these into my favorite Fulton.

Extra info if anyone cares:
I've done all the mag mods. Got a couple AW Incan drivers. Love them.
Sadly, 99% of the time my go to flashlight is my trusty Fulton Anglehead.
I run it with a couple of 26650 cells, and whatever bulb is the most appropriate. Typically something 6v 10w.
I'd love to run a ROP high in there with a controller to further expand it's capability.

They're 30mm diameter and about 6mm thick. I'm not familiar with the insides of the Fulton, So you'll have to fiddle with it.
When (if) you do the install, take pics. I'd love to see it. A pair of 26650s would drive an ROP-hi, very nicely. Would a pair of 32600s fit in there? They don't need to be protected since the regulator prevents over-discharge.

I've got plenty left.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't installed one myself. But as long as you have about 6mm on clearance between the top of the switchbody and the bottom of FiveMega's socket. You should be good. Although, you shouldn't allow direct contact between the bottom of the brass socket holder and the regulator. It would allow too much heat from the bulb to get to the regulator. You wouldn't need a lot. a thin mineral fiber (mica or similar) would do. I also have Alumina ceramic refractory insulation that I can give (with purchase of a reg). A bit of that would work too.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I installed a JM-PhD-D1 and a FM 6.35 in a Leef adapter used to connect a Leef body to a D Mag head.

The Leef D Mag adapter:
LeefDMagadaptersideview.jpg

The JimmyM regulator fits without any mod'ing needed:
LeefmodJM-PHD-D1testfit.jpg

The FM 6.35 socket/brass holder:
FMbrasssink-sockettopside.jpg

The brass holder is too big to fit into the Leef adapter. I had to bore out the adapter using a brake hone. Here is the FM holder inserted into the bored-out adapter:
LeefmodFMbrasssinkinstalled.jpg

Just enough space left to fit the JimmyM regulator:
LeefmoddriverspaceundertheFMbrasssink.jpg

I used liquid electrical tape (also used Kapton tape -- not shown -- for redundancy) to cover exposed metal to protect against shorts. Also, soldering the wire connections was a bit of a hassle because I couldn't do the soldering outside of the adapter and then just drop in the works. The Leef adapter uses the retaining rim to hold a contact board in place (kind of like the c-clip in a D Mag that holds the Mag switch in place). So I had to solder in situ.
Leefmodregulatorconnectionstocontactboard.jpg

Some ceramic insulation surrounding the 5761 bulb:
Leefmodceramicinsulation.jpg

The assembled light, using 3x26500 BigLeef segments and a purple D Mag head holding a KD v3.1 15mm opening OP reflector:
Leefmodcompleted.jpg

Outdoor shot, BigLeef mod, Philips 5761 with Vbulb=7.0V, target is a tree 55 yds away, just to the left of the second story of the brick house and behind the power lines (distance measured using a laser rangefinder):
BigLeef5761mod55ydstotree.jpg

Conte

Enlightened
They're 30mm diameter and about 6mm thick. I'm not familiar with the insides of the Fulton, So you'll have to fiddle with it.
When (if) you do the install, take pics. I'd love to see it. A pair of 26650s would drive an ROP-hi, very nicely. Would a pair of 32600s fit in there? They don't need to be protected since the regulator prevents over-discharge.

I've got plenty left.

That should fit in a Fulton no problem. Question is in the mounting. It's a plastic flashlight.
Does this unit generate any heat? Does it need to be heatsunk depending on the aluminum lights to keep cool ?
I read the part about Lux's tests. The other thing I'm not sure about is the warning temp.

The Fulton is the classic angle head US army flashlight.
Been running them for years. They seems to be made out of quality plastics and rubbers, between that and the fact that they come with a metal reflector they seem to have no problems taking the heat of a ROP-Low or Equivalent for hours at a time. Just need a glass lens.

32600 is a D cell right ? They are 2D lights so yes, that would fit, however, because of the wiring provisions I'd have to do to make your unit work, I'd have to run extra wires up and down the battery tube thereby making it internally smaller. 26650's need a spacer tube anyway so that would allow room for the wires.

I've run the Fulton with a Rop-High before, but the old style switch can't seem to pass the current and the light get's throttled down.
Your unit would overcome that. Meanwhile, the times I did test the ROP-Hi bulb, it seems to handle the heat just fine for the brief period that I ran it.
I imagine if I ran it for a while, something might start to melt, but the idea with the regulator is I'd probably run throttled down most of the time, only using full power for the occasional boost when I need it.

I did some net research, apparently they are made of ABS plastic. Other searches suggest ABS can handle up to 80C of temp. I wonder how long it would take to get the flashlight that hot. In which case your units overload protection can prevent that from happening.

Can you quote me a price for one shipped to P3G 1C1 Ontario Canada ?
Pretty sure I got $28usd sitting in my paypal I can put towards it.