Scored a Nice 16" Parabolic Reflector. HID or Short Arc? Test Beamshots w/ HID.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened
Re: Scored a Nice 16" Parabolic Reflector. HID or Short Arc? Test Beamshots w/ HID.

Bvh is correct. Cover with some trash cloth (shirt, towel, etc.), 4 layers thick should be plenty, and hammer it, then toss as is.

As far as your main thread post.... it's very basic... Smaller arc = tighter/cleaner beam.... I have a fist full of lights.... from a small reflector 10/30w hid to my hack job 400w mh beast....
Watt for watt... at an honest 83watts for both tests.... true SA xenon beats all others (hid(mh "sa" ), merc/xenon, hbo, xhp......etc) as far as that laser like, super far throwing beam...
Given that the = wattage HID throws a ton more lumens down range, the beam it's huge.

OK, great input, thank you for the clear info. That makes the Oriel set up sound pretty good for performance, then. Excellent.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Scored a Nice 16" Parabolic Reflector. HID or Short Arc? Test Beamshots w/ HID.

SA lamps can be dangerous, however... As long as proper safety protocols are observed.... totally worth it. Common sense and knowledge are all our best friends. :) almost anyone here with experience will be more then willing to assist you in your project as well as informing you of safety precautions.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

<<< Created a more appropriate avatar for this forum.

For reference and continuity: The old was was a gearhead - an illustrated cutaway of a head, full of gears.

Last edited:

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

I had a fascinating, extremely helpful chat with FritzHID. I learned a ton! lovecpf

I am now quite enthusiastic about the Short Arc lamp options. In fact, I just bought the Oriel 68805 power supply I've been watching. Now I should have everything I need to operate a short arc lamp from mains power; I just need the lamp itself.

I might have some spousal explaining to do when these big, heavy boxes show up in a week.:sssh:

--
Below is partially repeat info, covered here in relevance to my pending lamp decision:

Reading more about XBO (Xenon) and HBO (Mercury) short arc varieties, I am convinced that the XBO is less suitable.

XBO150 W/4 is a S15 orientation lamp, meaning it is supposed to run within 15 degrees of vertical With axial mounting, that means the light could only aim near the horizon. (corrected, originally said horizontal, but there is an error in the section of the data sheet I was using).
It is the largest available XBO I can power, and makes 3000 Lumens with Luminous Intensity = 300 cd.

HBO200 W/2 is a S90 orientation lamp, meaning it is designed to run within 90 degrees of vertical. So, I shouldn't aim it downhill for long, but that provides a lot wider range of motion, within the intended operating position requirements. Anything from straight up, to horizontal.
It is the largest HBO I can power, and makes 9500 Lumens with Luminous Intensity = 1000 cd. Average Luminance (cd/cm2): 40000

I still want to learn more about the Hg(Xe) lamps, in case they may be even more suitable than the HBO.

Edit
: Hg(Xe) are in between the others, not surprisingly (Oriel 6292 200W). 4500 lumens. 600 cd.

Still liking HBO200/W2. So I just bought one, pretty cheap for what it is, at $50. This appears to be an L1 variant, with a small internal reflective area at the bottom/cathode end. That reflector is probably not ideal...but it's what I found in the low priced lamp options.

It might only be rated for S45, depending upon which spec sheet I believe. S90 orientation is listed in Osram's general specs for HBO200W2 lamps. Hmm. Complicated.

Now I am fully committed to trying this. The week after next should be very interesting.

Mounting any of these lamps so they are electrically isolated from everything else, and can be cooled, will be a big challenge!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

If by "small reflective area", you mean a gold, painted on coating on one end of the bulbous arc chamber then the purpose of that coating is to keep that "cooler" area of the arc chamber hotter so that the Mercury does not re-condense in that area. That's what the guys at A.R.C told me.

McMasterCarr carries high-KV silicone insulated wire if you need it for the secondary run. I think up to 40KV and up to 12AWG.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

Reflective coating for heating the end with the mercury more/faster, sure, that makes sense. Looks like it could block a small area of light from hitting the center area of the reflector, and will probably add that light to spill. Not much, though.

I'll order some silicone wire, good to know where to find it, excellent.

By the looks of this HBO lamp, I think the mounting barrels (metal cylinders on the ends) are electrically live, right? So, I can't machine a simple aluminum mount like I did for the HID lamp. That would not isolate the lamp from the reflector. Thus, electrocution hazard.

I have not been able to find any ready-made, ceramic lamp sockets that would work. It will take some creativity to mount that lamp such that it is electrically isolated, sturdy, and won't melt. I am thinking along the lines of a cylindrical steel clamp on the bottom/rear of the lamp, with 3 thin metal legs maybe 2-3" long. These would be in the air path, so they will stay relatively cool at the furthest ends from the lamp. This assembly could be anchored in a cylinder made of Delrin, Nylon, PVC, or similar. The whole thing would insert into the reflector just like the HID mount did.

Maybe there will be useful bits in the Oriel lamp housing for this. I'll post internal pics when it shows up.

BVH

Flashaholic

My housing hasn't shipped yet. Kinda disappointed in them. The cylindrical ends are call bases and conduct power and ground to the electrode rods that are welded to the top/center of the bases. Anything you make to mount them in, I call base adapters. The Cathode base for the small electrode (negative) and the Anode (positive) base for the big electrode. Most specs I've seen indicate the bases should not reach over 250C. Some higher KV lamps could certainly be different. Check out Fluorosint. Its a Mica inpregnated PTFE/Teflon material. Maybe 500C IIRC. Very expensive but a very high temp "plastic". I've used it before. Some of the Delrins won't hold up, I've softened a few in my Locators.

Be sure to control your cooling fan separate from the lamp ignition and running circuits. You want to be able to run it for a few minutes after shutdown. If you can believe it, the Spectrolab NightSun old style control box was wired to run the fan with the light so that when you turn off the light, you turn off the fan. Right in the manual it says to immediately turn the fan back on. Newer models fixed that with a different switch setup.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

That was one info packed post ^. Online shopping time.

My housing, PS, and lamp have all shipped. Big stuff coming slowly, though. Possibly as late as Oct 1 arrival on the housing.

I'll be off the forum for a few days. Later guys.

BVH

Flashaholic

Opps, meant 500F for the Fluorosint, not 500C. My housing should be here tomorrow.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

Just a quick update so you guys know I am still around! I am very busy at the moment, with travel, work, collecting firewood for the winter, car maintenance, and other chores.

My lamp, ignitor, housing, and power supply are sitting here in boxes, ready to play as soon as I can free up some time and clear up some bench space. I hope to unpack it this weekend.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

OK, today I finally made time to clean up shop space and unpack my toys. :D

The Power Supply was very well packed:

So were the housing and ignitor:thumbsup::

But, do they work? A bit worried about the gamble.....:scowl:

Power supply lights up, and amps preset works. Good!

The housing was designed for a lamp that runs anode (+) up. My HBO200 runs anode down. So I had to install upside down for the housing, placing the arc way too low, even at full adjustment. This could be remedied with a spacer, but it's good enough for testing.

Crossing my fingers.......:eek:oo:

Will I be disappointed?

:naughty:

Hooray!! :)

It was fully warmed up within about 8-10 minutes. I ran it for about 15 minutes.

The hot spot completely misses the optics, so the fiber cable is dim.

Next I need to start working on a lamp mount for the searchlight. Progress will be slower than before, it is a very busy time. But I hope to work on it every weekend for a while, at least.

BVH

Flashaholic

Hurray! The power supply issue is out of the way now.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

Ok, I'm back. Like I mentioned, it's been busy.

I did finally get back to playing with the light a little bit today. But first, a totally off topic diversion for a moment. This is what has used up my free time the last couple of weekends:

A wood shed and a mechanical wood splitter. The latter is a spring loaded, gravity assisted gizmo which spares me the effort of swinging a splitting maul.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

Here are a couple more shots of it running:

The lamp is still positioned about 1/4 inch too low here, so it's a small fraction of the intended intensity.

All of the cables plugged right in. All of the various safety interlocks worked. I had to reverse the DC+ and DC- at the housing, though. The HBO lamp has + (Anode) on the bottom; it came with the Cathode connection on the bottom.

I also collected several bits which will be helpful in mounting the lamp, although in what configuration, I am not yet sure.

Included are a 10 mm brad point drill and a 10 mm center cutting end mill, to make the pocked for the lamp base. Also a pair of 4 mm x 0.7 mm plug taps, so I can retain lamp in my pending custom heatsink, using the threaded terminal at the very end of the lamp.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

The Delrin and PVC pieces shown above will be used for electrical isolation. The heat sink will be machined down to fit inside a cylindrical plastic housing which attaches to the reflector. So, only the cool, outer edges of the fins will touch plastic.

I need to devise the means of lamp positioning before I go much further.

Here is a shot on the inside of the lamp housing. Note the mechanism at the left. This positions the reflector in x,y,z axis. I would like to convert this for lamp mounting use, but it will be very difficult to keep the forced air cooling if I do. The body has no passages for airflow, and it fills the ID of the reflector fairly tightly.

Isn't it pretty in there?

Here is the outside view:

And here it is, removed - it is the round piece to the right. The black one is the shutter assembly and a 'dark shield' interlock:

The entire inner assembly, the gray and the silver parts, move in and out about 0.240". The silver part angles up/down, left/right PLENTY far. I would like more z and less x,y, but the mechanism is almost perfect for the job. Except for the lack of an airflow path.

I could simply make the lamp adapter long, like 4" instead of 2", and feed the cooling air in from the side instead of axially, but I really don't want much excess length hanging off the back of the reflector. Worse, I think, is this solution would require the lamp to be cantilevered a long ways out from the adjusting mechanism. That would not be good for precision.

I could also do a simple 3-screw mounting with springs under the screws. But, then, all 3 screws need to be turned for any adjustment. I want one just for focus, and two independent ones for the x,y.

Next, I need to make the heat sink, play with the pieces for a while, and think.

Last edited:

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened

I figured out the necessary dimensions to mount the lamp and center the arc at the reflector's focal point.

The arc location is 1.575" (40 mm) from the face of the lamp's Anode end. The parabola has an externally threaded mounting sleeve that was not shown in the original drawing, but is sketched in, below.

This drawing is marked up to reference the arc location to the rear flange of that mounting sleeve.

A 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe is a slight interference fit with the smooth ID of that threaded sleeve. So, I can use the PVC as the first layer of HV isolation, between the lamp adjuster and the reflector/frame assembly. This will enable gross tuning of lamp center, to enable a range of lamp sizes to be fitted.

I think, with a little creativity, I will be able to use the x,y,z mirror stage from the lamp housing as my lamp adjuster.

Here it is disassembled, below. The part on the left is the part that moves in and out, z axis. The tilting stage (x,y) is on the bottom of that, barely visible through the hole and under the bottom edge.

The part on the right is the rear cap, upside-down in this view:

Here is the x,y stage removed from the end of the z axis piece:

Remember that the positioning stage had no airpath. Well, it does now. Almost. I turned down part of the OD to allow annular airflow. Then I cut a path in the front face to spread air out in the gap between the z axis part, and the x,y part:

Finally, I hogged out a few gaps between key features I can't ruin, from the outer lip around the front face. The result is an air path to feed cooling flow from a fan mounted to the side of the mounting tube, to the back of the x,y stage.

Below is a VERY rough approximation of how the parts will interface. Note that the main mounting tube, a piece of 2" PVC, is NOT shown here. It will be attached to the flange of the 'top hat' in this picture, and will cover the whole assembly, except for about 0.5" of the heatsink. There will be clearance inside that tube for the guts to move.

A small blower will be located on the side closest to the camera, mounted to a hole in the (not shown) outer PVC mounting tube. The PVC shown here represents the 2nd layer of HV isolation, to which the heat sink and lamp assembly will be mounted. I might use Delrin or Nylon instead, but you get the idea.

The heat sink will wind up only about 2" long and will be partly nested inside the insulation piece:

I still need to drill holes in the x,y stage to feed air to the back of the heat sink.

Here is the 12v blower I found. It is 3" across by about 1" thick, quiet, and powerful enough for this task, I think:

Next, I need to figure out how, exactly, I am going to mount the whole thing to the reflector such that there is room for the adjustment range, and airflow. Then, machine a suitable heat sink from that giant donor, above, and start putting it all together.

Last edited: