search for something better than a TK11

Hendrikjansen

Newly Enlightened
Hi people,

Im searching for a good torch,

Good price, Nice beam ( throw it on a long distance ) beter than my TK11!

so i search for a torch that is better than my TK11, and have a good price ( not too much ).

What do you think of the LedLenser torches? and which one i must choise?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: search for a.......

"Friends don't let friends buy LED Lenser's"

Seriously though, take a peak at Tiablo. They have models that will easily out-throw the TK11 for a similar price.

yalskey

Enlightened
Re: search for a.......

Yeah... stay away from LED Lenser / Coast... yuck.

Also, this has got to be one of the most generic / A-typical "recommend a light" threads so far. LOL

How about the Dereelight CL1H V4 or DBS V2... great throw... the CL1H is only $85 too... very fair.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi people,

Im searching for a good torch,

Good price, Nice beam ( throw it on a long distance ) beter than my TK11!

so i search for a torch that is better than my TK11, and have a good price ( not too much ).

What do you think of the LedLenser torches? and which one i must choise?
If you want better throw, then you should definitely buy a Dereelight DBS or the Raidfire Spear.

Hendrikjansen

Newly Enlightened
which tiablo type is the best of his price?

i see the A9 what u think of this light? What kind of battery's goes in it? and how long il can play with the light before the battery's are emty, how far wil the beam throw :twothumbs ty

Hendrikjansen

Newly Enlightened
I need some outside pictures :) do somebody have that for me :p i cant do nothing with beam shots on walls :)

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless Marduke & yalskey own (or have held and tried a LL in the dark) they are making an uneducated stab at Led lenser - they may have had an older model LL (which gives them the right to knock them) but obviously not owned or at least tried the new ones - I have a DBS V2 an Olight M20 and a LL P7 - I have others as well but for the point I am making I mention the said lights - the LL feels no worse made than the M20 (I know they are in a bit differant class to each other but for quality comparison LL are just as good) - its hard to beat the LL beam pattern up to about 75-100 meters - a really wide flood to a smooth no spill spot (no following the bouncing ball effect) the LL uses an optic built into the head that slides in and out with one finder that takes 1 second or less to do.
suppose I am saying dont just disreguard something just because a couple of people give there opinion.
And if Marduke & yalskey have tried and or have owned a new LL their opinions are valid and I apologize :wave:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Unless Marduke & yalskey own (or have held and tried a LL in the dark) they are making an uneducated stab at Led lenser - they may have had an older model LL (which gives them the right to knock them) but obviously not owned or at least tried the new ones - I have a DBS V2 an Olight M20 and a LL P7 - I have others as well but for the point I am making I mention the said lights - the LL feels no worse made than the M20 (I know they are in a bit differant class to each other but for quality comparison LL are just as good) - its hard to beat the LL beam pattern up to about 75-100 meters - a really wide flood to a smooth no spill spot (no following the bouncing ball effect) the LL uses an optic built into the head that slides in and out with one finder that takes 1 second or less to do.
suppose I am saying dont just disreguard something just because a couple of people give there opinion.
And if Marduke & yalskey have tried and or have owned a new LL their opinions are valid and I apologize :wave:

I'm glad you like your lenser, but that still doesn't excuse their imaginary specifications and poor choice of power source.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you like your lenser, but that still doesn't excuse their imaginary specifications and poor choice of power source.
still say what are you basing your "opinion" on - do you own a new one of the new generation LL's ???
maybe the distance that they say the beam goes is inflated - they use a Q4 and a high bin Q4 can be better/brighter than a low bin Q5 - they quote for the P7 167 lumens how is that inflated?????? - if you take the time to read any forums of people that "actually" own them and have light meters they are actually over 200 lumens - they quote 130 hours - that's on low OBVIOUSLY - and why is it a poor power source?? tons of people on this forum keep going on about wanting a flashlight that runs on readally avaliable batteries :thinking:
on 1200 mah Nimh AAA batteries I get about two hours of well regulated high out put - also AAA's they are sold everywhere
So this is just again my opinion (with some hard facts as I actualy own one)

Marduke

Flashaholic
still say what are you basing your "opinion" on - do you own a new one of the new generation LL's ???
maybe the distance that they say the beam goes is inflated - they use a Q4 and a high bin Q4 can be better/brighter than a low bin Q5 - they quote for the P7 167 lumens how is that inflated?????? - if you take the time to read any forums of people that "actually" own them and have light meters they are actually over 200 lumens - they quote 130 hours - that's on low OBVIOUSLY - and why is it a poor power source?? tons of people on this forum keep going on about wanting a flashlight that runs on readally avaliable batteries :thinking:
on 1200 mah Nimh AAA batteries I get about two hours of well regulated high out put - also AAA's they are sold everywhere
So this is just again my opinion (with some hard facts as I actualy own one)

LL quotes imaginary lumen and runtime specs. Granted, their lumens have been getting better, but their runtimes are still off by a factor of 100 (when they say 200, they mean 2), always have. They use the same criteria for all their lights, a theoretical maximum to which the LED and circuit will still function to emit a single photon out of a dead cell. They have apparently never heard of using a "runtime to 50%" standard like everyone else.

Their "special patented electronics" they market consists of nothing more than a direct drive light with a drop resistor.

Talk about marketing BS!!

As to why multiple AAA lights are not a good design, use the search engine :poke:

However, I doubt someone who believes they are buying 1200mAh AAA cells will believe or understand any of that.

It's not my opinion, it's just how LL is.

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
LL quotes imaginary lumen and runtime specs. Granted, their lumens have been getting better, but their runtimes are still off by a factor of 100 (when they say 200, they mean 2), always have. They use the same criteria for all their lights, a theoretical maximum to which the LED and circuit will still function to emit a single photon out of a dead cell. They have apparently never heard of using a "runtime to 50%" standard like everyone else.

Their "special patented electronics" they market consists of nothing more than a direct drive light with a drop resistor.

Talk about marketing BS!!

As to why multiple AAA lights are not a good design, use the search engine :poke:

However, I doubt someone who believes they are buying 1200mAh AAA cells will believe or understand any of that.

It's not my opinion, it's just how LL is.
point taken (but you still didn't answer me as to if you have tried one of the new LL's out in the dark or even picked one up - other wise it is just your opinion that they are crap!) - mind you its not my favorite light.
My daughter has claimed it to use for general lighting and camping - she buys disposable batteries for it because she's not interested in charging anything - so its better for her.

yalskey

Enlightened
I'll say for the everyday person who knows nothing about flashlights, Coast / LL might be a good light for them. But the consensous here on CPF (the greatest collection of minds on the topic of flashlights) is that they are pretty crappy. You can argue that they ARE NOT crappy, but you can't agrue that most people on CPF who have an opinion on Coast / LL have a negative one.

I appreciate they are available at Costco and Walmart, etc. They are better then a lot of the other crap sold at those places. However, put a Coast / LL up to a Surefire or Peak, or heck, even a Fenix and it's apples to oranges.

Coast / LL competes and is on the same level as Dorsey in my opinion. It's targeting the upper end of NON-flashaholics. And that's fine.

I think the issue people on CPF (read: flashaholics) have with them is they tend to market themselves with overly amplified specs and such. Some exaggeration with lumens is sorta commonplace in this industry, but I think Coast / LL stretches the limit.

p.s. I owe 4 Coast / LL flashlights and have studied them throughly, so my opinion is an educated one.

p.p.s. My first "p.s." was a lie, I have never owed and Coast / LL light, and besides playing with them at Costco, I really have no basis for what I'm suggesting... LOL (how's that for honesty... about lying?)

:twothumbs

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll say for the everyday person who knows nothing about flashlights, Coast / LL might be a good light for them. But the consensous here on CPF (the greatest collection of minds on the topic of flashlights) is that they are pretty crappy. You can argue that they ARE NOT crappy, but you can't agrue that most people on CPF who have an opinion on Coast / LL have a negative one.

I appreciate they are available at Costco and Walmart, etc. They are better then a lot of the other crap sold at those places. However, put a Coast / LL up to a Surefire or Peak, or heck, even a Fenix and it's apples to oranges.

Coast / LL competes and is on the same level as Dorsey in my opinion. It's targeting the upper end of NON-flashaholics. And that's fine.

I think the issue people on CPF (read: flashaholics) have with them is they tend to market themselves with overly amplified specs and such. Some exaggeration with lumens is sorta commonplace in this industry, but I think Coast / LL stretches the limit.

p.s. I owe 4 Coast / LL flashlights and have studied them throughly, so my opinion is an educated one.

p.p.s. My first "p.s." was a lie, I have never owed and Coast / LL light, and besides playing with them at Costco, I really have no basis for what I'm suggesting... LOL (how's that for honesty... about lying?)

:twothumbs
yep I take your point
but like you say "It's targeting the upper end of NON-flashaholics" - so that make us nit picking "flashaholicks" here the minority of the flashlight owners in the world yer? - I know they are cheaper than SF and the like but there not competing in the upper class are they? - I know LL are made for the populace and they aint my favorate light either - but its funny that MattK (who must be an "every day person who knows nothing about flashlights" and not have a "great mind") is selling them in his shop batteryjunction and likes them and has mentioned it here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188484 on the shoot you down in flames if you dare to have an opinion forum - here's a good little review on the LL P7 if you are interested http://translate.google.com.au/tran...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=6NV&sa=N
PS: no offense to MattK he is a good guy and I respect him & have bought off him - and the above is just my opinion anyway

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ears were ringing. :p

Hendrikjansen - I would skip the Tiablo line at this point; Take a look at the Olight M20 or LumaPower MRV SK. The LED Lenser P7 is pretty attractive as well. The Olight M20 is like your TK20 - but 'more' - output, features, etc.

Marduke & yalskey:
The new LED Lenser HP line should not be compared to their old product. The HP line cannot be seen at mass market stores like Costco and other similar retailers.

To make a judgement on an entirely new product line that you've not seen, basing judgement upon old product that you've only seen briefly or on a concensus opinion also based upon outdated information is simply illogical.

Yes - LL has an odd way of measuring runtime but 'output to 50%' is not some universal standard outside of CPF. There is an advisory panel of flashlight industry folks trying to put together a 'universal standard' which LL is a part of so one assumes that their runtimes will be more in line with the norm but remember none of the other mfr's, except those that cater to CPF, even tell you WHAT their runtimes are based upon.

Regarding battery choices; yes, I'd like to see a LL CR123A powered light but that doesn't mean AA's and D's don't have their place. They are cheap and widely available, especially in Europe where LL is based. I had a long conversation with the owner and chief engineer of LL and while they weren't 100% sold on a wholesale conversion they did seem open to testing the waters with some CR123A powered models so perhaps we'll see something coming in the future.

The LL HP line's quality is far beyond anything made by Dorcy. The HP line offers adjustable focus, something rarely seen on the flashlight market, esp with LED's and it's very easy and fast to adjust focus from spot to flood. Are they an enthsiasts light? Yes, I believe that some of the models are entirely legitimate entrants for the enthusiast market - if I didn't we would not have picked up the line.

yalskey

Enlightened
Matt,

Hmmmm, the "HP" line. I'll have to check those lights out.

I stand corrected... or at least with my judgment reserved, for now.

I guess LL is trying to fight a bad rap perception from us flashaholics. Maybe that bad rap isn't fair... maybe it is in a way. But either way, we should give them another chance if they have changed their game / tune.

I will check out the newer models, but I have to be honest. Until I'm convinced otherwise, if a newbie asks me about LL, I'm not going to give them massive praise.

You got to base your opinions on something, and a companies' history (previous products and service quality) isn't a unreasonable basis for an opinion.

But hey, if Matt sells them, they can't be total trash, that's for sure!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's all I ask - don't trash 'em 'till you try 'em . :)

I don't disagree about most of their previous products - there was a reason we never carried the line before but LL the HP line products, all that we carry BTW, are really quite impressive - though they are mostly AA/AAA powered and the advertised runtimes are obviously 100>0% which IS somewhat misleading.

We're only a hrmm 6 hours drive from B'more - if you bring me a dozen whales from Bo Brooks I'll let you play with every flashlight we have. :)

Hendrikjansen

Newly Enlightened
my next question is; i can use a rechargeable 18650, can i use every rechargeable 18650 battery or do i need a special one? I have a universal battery recharcher can i recharch the 18650 with this? and what is the cheapist 18650 battery :) ?

I need a battery that is protected against overload and too deeply unload.

ty

yalskey

Enlightened
Only a 6 hour drive, eh?

Only a dozen whales, eh?

Bo Brooks, eh?

Play with every flashlight you have, eh?

Yeah, but I'm not going to drive up there for 6 hours with Bo and 12 large sea creatures in my car, just to go to a flashlight store. I mean, it's not like you also sell batteries. Now that might be worth it; but until then... no way!

:)

You are a heck of a salesman Matt, I'll give you that!

Latest posts