SF M2 + KL3 or KL5

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered the M2 since I bought a M3-CB and just loved it, rugged and heavy-duty with double 0-rings. So I decided to explore more of the M`series. I know that you can take the M2 and use it with the KL3 or KL5. Does anybody have pictures of this or have eny experience of it? I am especially interested in the KL3 because of its optics. And how long will 2 x CR123A last for KL3 and KL5?

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It will look like an L5 except the writing on the body :D
IIRC runtime of the KL5 on 2x123 is about 60+minutes, and 110minutes on 3x123.
bernie

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Hello Bernie! :wave:

Thanks for the reply. I must say that your answer made me notice the similaritis between the M2 (L5) and M3 (L6), the bodies are basically the same there are only the bezels/lamps that differ. I hadnt thought about that before. I also noticed that most of my questions had their answer on SF site.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/929/sesent/00

But SF shows the older version of KL3, if put on the M2 does the bezel and body fit perfect so that no part of the bezel 0-ring is visable? Thats one of the things I like with my M3, it feels like not even an atom would make it between them when tightened and the 0-ring is having great protection.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Attention ... :caution: ... the KL5 won't run on the M3 and the KL6 won't run on the M2 or C3 body!! Just in case you didn't know, please don't feel offended by this statement :D :D

You can put the KL5 on the C3 for 3x123 action though.

I do not remember enough from the old KL3 to tell you how the fit was, but knowing SF it should have been great as ever. The new KL3 is just ike a somewhat shorter KL5 and fits great.

bernie

EDIT: stupid typo :green:

Sburr23

Newly Enlightened
The KL5 is a little big for how much light it puts out. Don't get me wrong, it puts out a nice beam, I just prefer my L2.

Steve

rmacias

Enlightened
Sburr23 said:
The KL5 is a little big for how much light it puts out. Don't get me wrong, it puts out a nice beam, I just prefer my L2.

Steve

The larger L5 bezel is for throw, I own both the L2 and the L5 and while the L2 is bright as hell it lacks throw. The L5 can light up objects further away but both are sweet torches.

RJM

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, when I have recieved my M2 I will see if there will be any LED attached to it. With the new optics I think the KL3 would be my choise because of the longer running time. Or perhaps this will end in a more flashoholic way.. and I will buy both of them. :thinking:

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
I just read a review written a while ago on the M2 telling that perhaps the "newer" versions of the M2 would have a clickie tailcap. Is this true?? I dont want that, I want to twist! :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You can buy twistie M-Series caps at lighthound for not much $$ ... or exchange your clicky in B/S/T and get soemthing extra.
bernie

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I posted this in another thread for something else :thinking: anyway I can't find it now but this is what KL3/M2 looks like. I prefer this to the L6 which I sold (if thats anything to go by)

M2KL3.jpg

Last edited:

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
You can buy twistie M-Series caps at lighthound for not much $$ ... or exchange your clicky in B/S/T and get soemthing extra.
bernie

Thanks for the reply. :)

Why cant the clickies go away, I want the twisty. Well I just have to buy that.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Bad-*** looking light, SolarFlare! :thumbsup: :D
Don't we love the SW02 ... and I really like the new design of the KL3!

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Bad-*** looking light, SolarFlare! :thumbsup: :D
Don't we love the SW02 ... and I really like the new design of the KL3!

Very bad-*** indeed. :rock: Speaking about clickies I now understand that the z57 perhaps not is the best clickie SF has. But I have a SW02 on the way, heard anything about that malfunctioning?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Patrik!

When I got my SureFire M2 (newer design than previously) it did come with a "twisty" and not the clickie and as Bernie already mentioned it's an option. I'm REALLY contented with my SF.M2 and it feels and fits just right in my hand. Although for me, it'll remain incandescent and I have no desire to "up" it with them LED heads. That's just me.

Enjoy yours when you get it!

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Hello Patrik!

When I got my SureFire M2 (newer design than previously) it did come with a "twisty" and not the clickie and as Bernie already mentioned it's an option. I'm REALLY contented with my SF.M2 and it feels and fits just right in my hand. Although for me, it'll remain incandescent and I have no desire to "up" it with them LED heads. That's just me.

Enjoy yours when you get it!

I believe you, I think I will like my M2 very very much. :) Its interesting not long ago I prefered the LED`s and clickies before incandescent and twisty. But just a few days ago that turned, thats partially because my bad experience with the z57, that I am in the middle of replacing with the older z52. Dont like clickies, period. And concerning LED´s, well if I was prioriting long lasting light and better protection against dropping etc, yes I would take a LED. But for everyday use I think I prefer the incandescent. Especially when used with the M-series as they are pretty well protected there. But in some way they are two different kinds good for different things, they are not the same. So comparing is tricky, I use LED under certains situations but they will have to be much better then the current models for me to give up incandescent. KL1 with beamshaper is nice though. And since I have a M2 on the way along with the SW02 that I ordered before my clickie problems I might try them along with a KL3, 4.5 hours of light I think and then usable for about...?

It will take about 10 days (dealer had it not in stock) for my M2 to arrive, but I`ll get back with a review. :wave:

Last edited: