SHOT Show 2012: Surefire 'New Products'

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire - New flashlights 2012 video

Wow, not only lots of massive upgrades to existing products, but some truly innovative ones too. That 2211 wrist light looks awesome. I wonder what batteries it uses? I'm guessing a proprietary li-ion like in a mobile phone.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire - New flashlights 2012 video

Wow, not only lots of massive upgrades to existing products, but some truly innovative ones too. That 2211 wrist light looks awesome. I wonder what batteries it uses? I'm guessing a proprietary li-ion like in a mobile phone.

Nice idea, reminds me of Star Trek. Might keep an eye on that.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: It´s going to be a expensive year... (Surefire 2012)

I guess I don't see much difference between the E1B and EB1. More lumens? Slightly different design?

brianna

Enlightened

The new eb1 will be 200 lumen's. The old e1b is 110 lumen's. The difference should be substantial. I just hope the run times get improved.

AR_Shorty

Enlightened

This is assuming that what is in that video actually becomes available for purchase in 2012. A lot of it was shown at SHOT 2011 and still hasn't been released.

molon__labe

Banned

After years of no new lights and lacluster vaporware its nice to see a gaggle of new awesome lights. Go surefire!

And most are over that SF 200L ceiling.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Plenty of new products proposed - I hope SureFire manage to release some.

Surefire needs to release less videos and market interest probes, and just go make some damn lights.

Some of these lights were also 'new for 2011' it seems. Are these more 'concept cars' or will we actually see most of these lights on the market in the coming months? The UAR Aviator seems to be conspicuously missing from the list this year. In the real world, it is hard to get a professional pilot to spend $30, much less say, $500, on a light in my observation.

There is only one thing missing from the following that would make them perfect ..... UM2 Ultra - P2X-B-BK Fury - LX2 Ultra - E1B ... PK's signature adorning each one.

There definitely seems to be less of the 'I wrote a puff piece on SF and PK sent me a purple light' CPF posts than in the past. Maybe some of the customary marketing 'gratuities' have been driven underground by recent U.S. Federal Trade Commission scrutiny of product blogging. Then again, perhaps the SF PK swag bags are being passed out at the SHOT Show as I type.:)

UDR Dominator MRSP $1,370 :eek:

That would limit the market for this light to a very small niche I would think. I wonder at what price points the R1 and R2 Lawmen will be introduced? Will cops go for a $700 duty light? Or even a $400 duty light? The days of the $600 toilet seats are fading fast as the U.S. military faces drastic cuts and the domestic economy remains in the doldrums.

UBR Invictus (11-setting selector ring, 4-Function TailCap, rechargeable, TIR, 800 lumens)

Remember how not that long ago all the extra modes of the Chinese lights were ridiculed by SF fans? And how we were told that SF would never (again) use rechargeables? Here comes the era of the Swiss Army Knife Surefires.

Is it just me or are Surefires starting to look like cheap Chinese imports? I really dont like the whole no grip scalloped look. It just looks cheap and tacky

I've made a similar observation on another thread. Somehow, the new entry level SF's just don't seem to me to be the same quality look and feel as say, the C2 and 6P. In the 2012 new product video, many of the mid and high end SF's now have knurling again it seems.

How much will SF ask for that UM2 that I want? $400 perhaps? Or $600?:confused:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SureFire SS2012 'New Products'

I definitely want the EB1, UM2 Ultra and 2211 wrist light.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lot of new lights hope they come out soon.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened

I'll ask one of the more pertinent questions:

At 500 + lumens, which of these lights will be compatible 18650's? If none, will they provide a yearly estimated cost of ownership for burning through cr123's? Not interested in rcr123's as a real option as they have absolutely anemic capacities.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

The lumen wars are definitely in play with Surefire and everyone else.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

At 500 + lumens, which of these lights will be compatible 18650's? If none, will they provide a yearly estimated cost of ownership for burning through cr123's?

Surefire manufacturers and sells their own line-up of CR123 batteries. What do you think? ;)

Joking aside, they announced the "dual fuel" line-up last year which means their lights will run on either a rechargeable battery pack or CR123's in a pinch. You'll notice that a lot of the new lights in the video have a charging jack built into the side - this is not there by accident.

Whether or not the battery pack will operate at the 3.7V we're used to with our 18650's or at some other voltage has not been mentioned.

seattlite

Enlightened

Wonder if the 2012 "E-series" form factor lights(EB1, LX2 Ultra) will be sealed? Seems like the SF is making it difficult to lego their new lights.

victory

Enlightened

So, i was always told "1 lumen per yard to see, 2 lumens per yard to identify" and i'm assuming that this hasn't changed because, you know, light is light.

So, someone tell me what is the point of a 500-700 lumen weapon mounted light? Do people just really like blinding themselves with back splash or do people just buy surefire nowadays to show off to their friends at night and never use otherwise?

funder

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire New Products 2012

I bet its XM-L, few point
Surefire tends to use XM-L in current LED line
They dont bluff lumen, XP-G with 500lm is on the edge of cliff, may even require overdriving, with R5 its only [email protected], and the maximum one stated by CREE is 493lm, with 7% of tolerable error, new bin isnt officially available yet IF the data sheet still holds, even S2 isnt widely available, let alone S3
I hope they would re-design the optics utilizing XM-L
And currently-latest E-series LED uses XR-E, E1B, LX2 etc
Btw, if new LX2 have a RRT-0 XM-L beam profile, i would definitely stick with the old one ; )

Agree, By using the XML, the new LX2 will have a decreased throw, from ~10K cd to ~5K cd, although the luminous flux is much increased.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire New Products 2012

If the new EB1 with 200 lumens is with a good binned XRE, then it may be a nice upgrade for me. Same beam with more throw and some increased brightness. If it is a wider angled led like the XPG or even more so with the XML, Im not as much interested in it. Runtime will be a factor too. Guys, for the record, I compared my 2009 model E1B (80 lumen version really 100+) to a 200 lumen E2DL and the difference between the two was not drastic. It will take a big improvement to bump it out of my pocket after being there for almost every single day for three years now. 500 Surefire lumens and beam quality out of a TIR really has my interest. Up to this point, I have not been overly impressed with the XML or larger led's in a small light with a reflector except for a few. My fav's are the Malkoff M91W and the Fury which I really like. The new Surefire line looks like they are trying to pick up the pace with the latest and greatest now to keep people buying. All I can say is, it's about time as long as quality is not replaced with something less in the process.

Latest posts