• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
So are we talking about a fully loaded tail cap that will cost upwards of $ 250?

It's $168 just for trits parts alone. Installation will be done by someone more professional than me. They will likely charge $50-$75....So yeah....it seems $250 only just cover the trits portion alone and not the price of the tail cap. I imagine most will just enjoy the tail cap side grooves as grips points and the rear slot as an aesthetic design feature. Twisty is also a MUST for ultra high drain P60vn such as LilV for the extra output and reliability. Actually it should make all P60vn brighter. I know for sure I will be carrying the twisty tail cap way more than the clicky as I am a HUGE fan of twisty. I trust the simple reliable operation. I personally cant afford the all decorated tail cap though.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
By the way most of the trits slot on lights are 1.5X6mm. This one is about twice as thick and twice as long! Green is VERY bright!

https://www.mixglo.com/store/p94/T315_3x15mm_Vials.html

UG6So0x.jpg

Zandar

Enlightened
It's $168 just for trits parts alone. Installation will be done by someone more professional than me. They will likely charge $50-$75....So yeah....it seems $250 only just cover the trits portion alone and not the price of the tail cap. I imagine most will just enjoy the tail cap side grooves as grips points and the rear slot as an aesthetic design feature. Twisty is also a MUST for ultra high drain P60vn such as LilV for the extra output and reliability. Actually it should make all P60vn brighter. I know for sure I will be carrying the twisty tail cap way more than the clicky as I am a HUGE fan of twisty. I trust the simple reliable operation. I personally cant afford the all decorated tail cap though.

Don't worry Wayne, I personally know the maker of this uber light and I can get you a deal on a fully decked out twisty tail cap! That said, you know I'm in for a twisty cap with some trits!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just guessing but I'm thinking you can probably pull another 500 lumens out with the white MCPCB. :poke:

Last edited:

Samlittle

Enlightened
What will the basic color of these twisty caps be?

Do you intend to have them finished to match the range of SLN color options?

Samlittle

Enlightened
I might just spray mine a shade of gray then to go with my raw light. The color in the image would be fine.

I suppose I could strip the finish too but I think a shade of gray could be nice - whereas the black a bit harsh.
Won't know until I see it though. :thinking:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Who actually thinks the White MCPCB on LilV will make a lumen difference that is detectable?

Beacuse I was so surprised at the amount of Lumen loss due to the LED's being recessed, I'm going to say that well actually see a difference of 250-500L. Things like this really go against my intuition at times and that's why I'm guessing high.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Beacuse I was so surprised at the amount of Lumen loss due to the LED's being recessed, I'm going to say that well actually see a difference of 250-500L. Things like this really go against my intuition at times and that's why I'm guessing high.

There is really no surprise that there is ~30% output loss in any light from LED Lumen to OTF Lumen. Its just more shocking because now you know about it. But this is noting out of the ordinary for any light.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is really no surprise that there is ~30% output loss in any light from LED Lumen to OTF Lumen. Its just more shocking because now you know about it. But this is noting out of the ordinary for any light.

I guess the shocking part was that there was so much of a difference with this particular light with the bezel on and with the bezel off. Who would have thought the bezel would make such a difference.

Is there higher output with the white MCPCB?:thumbsup:

I guess the shocking part was that there was so much of a difference with this particular light with the bezel on and with the bezel off. Who would have thought the bezel would make such a difference.

Right, the bezel... did we investigate the possibility of highly reflective high temp resistant tape on the inside of the bezel? Or adding an extra copper layer of heat sink to force the LEDs to protrude a few extra mm's so the bezel is less problematic?

SKV89

Enlightened
I think with a silver host, the white mcpcb will make a much bigger difference than with a black host since the light gets reflected from the silver bezel back to the mcpcb whereas black bezels absorbs all light that hits it.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Is there higher output with the white MCPCB?:thumbsup:

Exactly, hotdog! I'm not unaware of differences between LED lumens and OTF lumens. Most of us on this subforum understand how much various reflectors, optics and lenses can effect OTF output. I was however, amazed that 3500L could be lost on a mule in which the LED's were already fairly close to the front of the light. I don't know what the exact depth is or how many fewer millimeters of bezel there would have to be, in order to get another one-two thousand lumens OTF but I'm just saying that this particular example of flashlight physics was a real eye opener for me. It's not something that I would have guessed correctly even if someone told me they'd give me lots of money to nail. I still find it interesting even now and if I had a junk SLN to destroy, I'd start grinding down the bezel 1mm at a time while measuring the output, simply to satisfy by goofy curiosity.. haha.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think with a silver host, the white mcpcb will make a much bigger difference than with a black host since the light gets reflected from the silver bezel back to the mcpcb whereas black bezels absorbs all light that hits it.

Yes, it's fascinating to consider that such seemingly small changes "could" potentially result in some kind of gain, perhaps even substantial gains. I'm very excited to hear what the results are, even from a scientific perspective. I saw that Vinh had a white board already built so hopefully we'll find out soon.
:popcorn:

Patriot

Flashaholic
By the way most of the trits slot on lights are 1.5X6mm. This one is about twice as thick and twice as long! Green is VERY bright!

https://www.mixglo.com/store/p94/T315_3x15mm_Vials.html

UG6So0x.jpg

Vinh, I love that you went with this size trit slot! Once I started using 3 & 3.5mm trit tubes, the 1.5 & 2mm seemed so anemic. You can still see the smaller tubes in the dark but the 3mm sizes actually project an amount of light that can be useful.

One particular little lantern that I have, (I'll see if I can find a picture of it) has 3 x 3x22.5 trits, 1 green, 1 yellow, 1 white, and I use it as a night light. It makes the corner of my bedroom glow and casts about 3-4 feet. It's all I use when getting up for the bathroom at night.

qzHeJku.jpg

TJfpcdx.jpg

I used to have 3 x greens and it was a little too bright at night, a couple feet from my face, so I toned it back a notch.:laughing:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, I love that you went with this size trit slot! Once I started using 3 & 3.5mm trit tubes, the 1.5 & 2mm seemed so anemic. You can still see the smaller tubes in the dark but the 3mm sizes actually project an amount of light that can be useful.

One particular little lantern that I have, (I'll see if I can find a picture of it) has 3 x 3x22.5 trits, 1 green, 1 yellow, 1 white, and I use it as a night light. It makes the corner of my bedroom glow and casts about 3-4 feet. It's all I use when getting up for the bathroom at night.

qzHeJku.jpg

TJfpcdx.jpg

I used to have 3 x greens and it was a little too bright at night, a couple feet from my face, so I toned it back a notch.:laughing:

I gotta have that!!! Where do u get the lantern?

Patriot

Flashaholic
TEC Accessories

They come in grey Ti, but I did a HC treatment on mine. I've been trying to work with them to produce a 6 trit model that's the same size as the this one. There's plenty of room between the three existing trits. I'm also working with a local machinist to modify one of mine to hold 6. I'll let you know how it goes.

Zandar

Enlightened
Right, the bezel... did we investigate the possibility of highly reflective high temp resistant tape on the inside of the bezel? Or adding an extra copper layer of heat sink to force the LEDs to protrude a few extra mm's so the bezel is less problematic?

When I first heard from Vinh, on the loss of OTF lumens on my P60 mule , I suggested using that old "High Tech Material" called Aluminum Foil!!!!!

Last edited: