SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

On my side, if I use the USB charger port and Bluetooth (application) together, PCLS stop logging. When I close the Bluetooth PCLS continues. It must be written somewhere that this is normal with this charger.

tjh

Enlightened

After reading abut the fan issue it does indeed makes a difference. Oh well.
Why?
Do you discharge 4 x 18650 all the time?

I can't believe what a mountain/molehill has been made of this issue.

I get that it's disappointing the charger has this "flaw" but to me the AAA contact issue is a bigger one.

Both "issues" have easy fixes though. So they're only very minor flaws.

Re-read HKJs review everyone and realise how far the positive aspects of this charger outweigh the minor flaws the first release of it have.

Or buy another version in a years time when these little niggles are fixed. I'm sure more little issues will be discovered before this thread goes quiet.

dssguy1

Newly Enlightened
TJH, just remain calm. If we weren't talking about the issues they would never get fixed.

I don't see "very" many people saying they don't like the charger.

I brought up the AAA issue more than 1.5 months ago so nothing is new with your comment of it being a problem. If nobody said anything, how likely do you think all these issues would be fixed? I don't.

I'm only commenting that a very easy flip of the fan (and minor grill removal) solves the problem completely for myself. So instead of having my charger run hotter even when only discharging a couple batteries, it will run much much cooler.

Imo, some people have gone overboard with all their adjustments to fix the "issue". Laptop coolers, dual larger fans, etc.

Last edited:

MarioJP

Enlightened
Why?
Do you discharge 4 x 18650 all the time?

I can't believe what a mountain/molehill has been made of this issue.

I get that it's disappointing the charger has this "flaw" but to me the AAA contact issue is a bigger one.

Both "issues" have easy fixes though. So they're only very minor flaws.

Re-read HKJs review everyone and realise how far the positive aspects of this charger outweigh the minor flaws the first release of it have.

Or buy another version in a years time when these little niggles are fixed. I'm sure more little issues will be discovered before this thread goes quiet.

Its not that big of a deal considering i probably won't be discharging 4 Li-ions cell all at once, this would be a rare thing and set a program to discharge only in case i missed the final readings. I have yet to test out Refresh. I keep reading something about not saving the final results or saves the charge capacity as the final results. And as for the contact issue. Managed to deal with it and when its time to replace the cells. I now know which cells to get next time. I have had no issues with AAA's. This is a really great charger. Most flexible one at that, not even the Opus is that flexible. Judging from the LCD it is probably using the same program functionality that is found in the La crosse and the IQ except that it supports Li-ions. this whole 250/500 350/700 500/1000 is getting old lol. So glad that the MC3000 is not set up like that.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I have yet to test out Refresh. I keep reading something about not saving the final results or saves the charge capacity as the final results.

I asked for that. On the charger, at the end, it displays the discharge capacity. In the *application, we have the charge capacity. The charger could be able to display the charge/discharge capacity alternatively and the application too. When you know it and you need the charge and discharge capacity, use both device or PCLS to overcome this "flaw".

Edit: In iOS application, don't know if it is the same with android.

Last edited:

tjh

Enlightened

I sometimes wonder if he people posting in this thread are also actually reading it.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

I sometimes wonder if he people posting in this thread are also actually reading it.

I wonder what is the utility of this kind of remark ... to change habits ? If that's right, you're dreaming .

Capolini

Banned

Wow!! You recieved a lot of replies/interest kreisl!

Now I need to read the thread!,,,at least the most important parts.

tjh

Enlightened

Wow!! You recieved a lot of replies/interest kreisl!

Now I need to read the thread!,,,at least the most important parts.
Here is a summary:

The charger is very good, flexible and customisable.

The first batch of chargers aren't as good at cooling as subsequent batches. This only matters if you're discharging 4 x 18650's at 1amp. You can put an external fan on the charger and this fixes the problem.

Some battery types have a few issues making contact correctly. You can fix this but then the batteries might not be touching the temp sensor.

The Windows app is very poor, can't be resized. 3rd party app is available but can only monitor, not program the charger.

The Android and iOS apps are pretty poor.

A new firmware 1.04 will be released "soon" that fixes many of the (minor) discovered bugs and issues with v1.02/1.03

What'd I miss?

billcushman

Enlightened

For those of you who are computer experts, would it be possible to update the MC3000 using a micro-USB flash drive and files downloaded from the web on either a Mac or PC? My Korg Kronos Synthesizer uses this method and it works very well using a USB drive. The typical Korg update contains all the new manuals as well as the update files.

Zanders

Newly Enlightened

Here is a summary:

The charger is very good, flexible and customisable.

The first batch of chargers aren't as good at cooling as subsequent batches. This only matters if you're discharging 4 x 18650's at 1amp. You can put an external fan on the charger and this fixes the problem.

Some battery types have a few issues making contact correctly. You can fix this but then the batteries might not be touching the temp sensor.

The Windows app is very poor, can't be resized. 3rd party app is available but can only monitor, not program the charger.

The Android and iOS apps are pretty poor.

A new firmware 1.04 will be released "soon" that fixes many of the (minor) discovered bugs and issues with v1.02/1.03

What'd I miss?
Here you go! :thumbsup:

Rapster

Newly Enlightened

For those of you who are computer experts, would it be possible to update the MC3000 using a micro-USB flash drive and files downloaded from the web on either a Mac or PC? My Korg Kronos Synthesizer uses this method and it works very well using a USB drive. The typical Korg update contains all the new manuals as well as the update files.

That won't work as is because there will be no way of initiating the firmware upgrade without PCLS. PCLS is way of updating right now and to be honest I cannot see a way for the MC3000 to be updated via a plain old USB stick. The difference with the Korg Kronos is that the Kronos has its own Operating System and can initiate updates itself or via user request on the Kronos itself.

Rapster

Newly Enlightened
Regarding flat-top Panasonics:

I've been charging flat-top unprotected NCR18650PD's without any issue whatsoever in the MC3000, four at a time, too. I haven't had any contact issues whatsoever.

MarioJP

Enlightened
Regarding flat-top Panasonics:

I've been charging flat-top unprotected NCR18650PD's without any issue whatsoever in the MC3000, four at a time, too. I haven't had any contact issues whatsoever.
But what about the B?? Just looked it up. Those look like it could work. The + is not too covered and maybe slightly raised.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i haven't tested them yet. i will only point out after testing AND after testing positive. if test negative, then no. ha.