SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Its already done.
Temp after 20 minutes is 74c, i doubt it will ever go over 76-77c.
Big difference the reversing makes. I did cutout the grill for better airflow, and also seems bit quiter without the grill(less turbulence) , but reversing it also might have role in the quitness.

Let me come clean about the "hack" :). Its more of a discovery as i didnt modify any software.
I got the 2a per slot when starting the discharge from the mobile app. My program is 2A discharge for all 4 slots, and slots 1 and 4 populated in the charger. It will posibly work with different slot/program config, but i havent tested it yet.
Its either a slip, or maybe Skyrc does plan to enable this in the next firmware so we can get 2a when working with the charger buttons.

You have Androïd? We cannot go higher than 1A with iOS application.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

You have Androïd? We cannot go higher than 1A with iOS application.
Yes, android.
It was up to 1A here too, but the latest app update has that limit to 2A

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

from the mobile app … either a slip, or … in the next firmware
the peeps who work on the mobile app are not the same peeps who work on the firmware, different 'companies' actually.

it's a slip.

take it from me.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

Yes, android.
It was up to 1A here too, but the latest app update has that limit to 2A

If someone set all 4 slots at 2A, I think it will be very dangerous....the appli developpers have to correct this "error" rapidly.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

If someone set all 4 slots at 2A, I think it will be very dangerous....the appli developpers have to correct this "error" rapidly.
The failsafe will probably kick in and lower the current, as it will definately overheat.Or maybe it will just start at 4x1a. cant say about any posible hardware damage.
havent tried and am not planning to.
Maybe kreisl could try it on his test units so we know the severity of the situation.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

it will cost a power supply to the one who will try before the failsafe trigger.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

sorry guys, i just dropped my smartphone and the bluetooth module seems broken. can't test anything re the bluetooth app, sollie

:fail:

i posted 4 clear comments today re this topic, this is my 5th. i can test boundaries in future, not now. we have other fish to fry.

( if someone wrecks the charger because of accidental exploitation of this slip in the v2.8 android app, then she/he can open a claim with the seller and or Skyrc company. i am moving on. )

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

it will cost a power supply to the one who will try before the failsafe trigger.
Today your math is way off :).
It wont do anything to the psu. It is a 60w one. Even if one runs 4x2A , that is 33.6w when discharging freshly charged batteries. As the batteries depleet and voltage drops, so will the wattage. Only issue is heat dissipation, and posibly overloading some chip, dunno.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

How much it will handle in charge is irrelevant, discharge do not load the power supply.
Gues my wrong logic replaced the real way it functions :).
Its a capacitor inside the charger that does the discharging right?

If the charger does discharge 4x2a through the mobile app, would the only issue be heat as i said, and would one with sufficient cooling be safe using it tgat way or are there other implications?

HKJ

Flashaholic

Its a capacitor inside the charger that does the discharging right?

Resistor or in this case a transistor.

If the charger does discharge 4x2a through the mobile app, would the only issue be heat as i said, and would one with sufficient cooling be safe using it tgat way or are there other implications?

The issue is heat, mostly on the heatsink where sensors will reduce the current if the charger get hot. There is also some current sense resistors, but because the charger is already rated for 2A discharge I doubt there will be any problem with them.

HKJ

Flashaholic

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/408288

Post 6: I thought it took more current during discharge because I already had a similar problem.

That problem looks like it is when the charger starts charging after a discharge, the MC3000 will stop with an error message if the power supply is too weak.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Just tried with 3 batteries for short time, and it does discharge them all at 2A .
I guess soon it will be time for that double fan mod :).

This charger keeps suprising.
Oh , and save the current .apk from playstore in case they update the app and decide to "fix" this.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

That problem looks like it is when the charger starts charging after a discharge, the MC3000 will stop with an error message if the power supply is too weak.

Ok. Thank you for the explanation. This problem never returned with a better power supply.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

Just tried with 3 batteries for short time, and it does discharge them all at 2A .
I guess soon it will be time for that double fan mod :).

This charger keeps suprising.
Oh , and save the current .apk from playstore in case they update the app and decide to "fix" this.

I wish I had this "error" on iOS to try but at my own risk.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

One more interesting observation...
When you start a 2a discharge through charger buttons and then add another battery to charge, the discharge current drops to 1a.
Starting a 2a discharge on the charger(or the app) and then starting a charge through the app, doesnt lower the discharge current.
You can test this on ios, it might work.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

Today your math is way off :).
It wont do anything to the psu. It is a 60w one. Even if one runs 4x2A , that is 33.6w when discharging freshly charged batteries. As the batteries depleet and voltage drops, so will the wattage. Only issue is heat dissipation, and posibly overloading some chip, dunno.

Yes P=VI

It is 6.45am...it is time to sleep. it's because of you that I go to bed later. [emoji106]