SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened
i don't understand a word of coherence here, sorry.
i am giving up.
sorry but i am no native English speaker so i don't understand the text perfectly well.
let us know which paragraph of the instruction manual you don't understand clearly and we'll try to rephrase.
Sent you a pm...

tjh

Enlightened
Thank you

No I have no problem with the parameters or the manual for the MC3000 I confess to not having read lol
I work in electronics and computer science for 25 year.
I bought LSD for their benefits.
At first I thought their low internal resistance would pose problems for the detection of Delta peak so I increased the load up to 1A and always the same.
Usually I charge my Ni-MH / Ni-CD on other chargers but I need another.
Lately we loaned me a charger bc-700, it was expected that I buy this one but I'm a geek lol
I always loaded all my my Ni-Cd and NiMH 15 mV and 3 mV between 7mV on many different chargers (I make modelisme) and never any problem of detection, even by charging 80 mA 0.1C my Ni-CD

The screenshot is for Ni-CD 800mA ...
Why do you find it high 15 mV for Ni-CD?

The BC-700 I loaded closer to what is recommended for my batteries.
NiMH LSD 2300 mA => 460mA / 7h (therefore 500mA on BC-700)
NiCd 800 mA => 160mA / 7h (so 200 mA on 700-BC)

The detection on all my other chargers is effective .... I own Power LAB 8 Graupner ULTRAMAT, etc ....
On the same MC3000 to increase the load to heat the battery to increase the internal resistance for improved website detection does not change anything that is still haphazard.
I must on the MC3000 activated the safety timer and ability, I ca not find normal for a charger at this price and also evolved.

I launched a test by loading the NICD 800mA (Dv on 7mV and load 160mA) without security ... I watch the curve :-/
I'll try the Eneloop AA std fashion but I find the detection really very insensitive and unrealistic ..
If you do not have problem when I fell on the wrong charger.

My FW version is 1.02
My HW version is 1.04

Why do you feel that 15mV is a better setting than 3mv for an individual cell? I can understand larger number for a pack of cells in series, but that's not what is happening here.

I suspect your other chargers aren't terminating on -dV, rather their own internal time or Voltage triggers.

I've had this charger for 2 months now and it hasn't missed a single AA or AAA termination (using -dV) yet.

If you can justify why you think the (imho rather crazy) settings you're using should work, we'd love to understand. But they don't made sense to me for all that I've read about how -dV termination works.

Therefore I think the reason it doesn't terminate for you is due to incorrect settings.

T_zero

Newly Enlightened
what is the current firmware version?

in terms of hardware the version is the same? or SkyRC have updated the MC3k?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
since market release Nov 2015 (v1.4 PCB) the hardware got updated for Feb 2016 production (v1.5 PCB) for the added FCC/CE certification. the current firmware is still v1.03 and it doesn't show the hardware version collectly: v1.5 PCB is shown as "v1.4" on the LCD in GSV. hopefully the new firmware can fix that info error on the lcd, see (k#40). the only way of knowing 100% for sure if you got the v1.5 PCB is by opening the charger.

every production batch might get minor improvements in the assembly (i.e. things which every early owner could do too by himself, called modding) but that doesn't increment the hardware version.

looks like the new fw won't be released this month. someone in this thread joked about IFA 2016 as release date lol :crackup:

Last edited:

kappa7

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean IFA 2016 in berlin in september??? I hope that we haven't to wait so much... I'm already a little tired to wait...:thumbsdow

Devon

Newly Enlightened
since market release Nov 2015 (v1.4 PCB) the hardware got ...............

looks like the new fw won't be released this month. someone in this thread ............. IFA 2016 as release date.........../QUOTE]

Is that an announcement by the Secret Squirrel of the new improved firmware release date?

Awesome news Squirrel! !!!

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had bought the 10180's months ago, hardly used them since, and always wanted to graph the discharge curves wiv mc3k. Back then PCLS wasn't reliable because of USB co-usage by my hp printer. Since DEX finally meets my personal requirements for serious logging, i went through with the tests of unused 10180 DQG batteries, successfully in one go.

2 battery samples, A and B, both delivered together in 1 gb package months ago (see post#507).
program CYCLE C>D, N=1.
charge rate 0.05A (50mA), termination current 0.01A,
|discharge rate| 0.05A, 0.10A, 0.20A, 0.30A; cut-off 2.70V.
same mc3k slot used for all tests.
logger: DEX 3.2.5,
cross-checking and post-processing: Excel (https://www.sendspace.com/file/bydye6)
result: see pic

25907053882_edac7ede7c_o.png

The tests were done in random order, i retested sample A several times before and after testing sample B. It's a fact that sample A has higher capacity than sample B, ~80mAh vs ~70mAh, which i find intriguing. That's that, i have no further use of the 10180 cells other than testing for the mc3k forum review. This post, as many other squirrel posts in this thread, would become part of the review.

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened
If you are discharging a battery at 2A and start charging different one in another slot, the discharge rate falls to 1A.
Only thing that comes to mind is that SkyRC did this out of thermal concerns, which in practice isnt an issue. So removing that limitation would be nice.
If posible add this to the list of suggestions.

Rapster

Newly Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Deleted

Last edited:

Rapster

Newly Enlightened

Does anybody know of a brand of permanent marker that won't rub off, I mark the capacity of my cells, I have 3 different brands of permanent maker and they all just rub off just with my hands when i pick up the cells

Thanks

John.

The Stabilo 'Write-4-All' pens are very good and I use them for all my permanent ink pen duties. I have written on my 18650 batteries literally months ago and handle them most days and the ink is nearly as good as the day it was applied, only slightly matted from handling.

http://www.staples.co.uk/write-4-all-fine-black/cbs/356864.html

Try and find the 'Medium' size as it has a nice 1mm size tip.

Edit: Here's a pack of 3 Medium Black with a not extortionate price to go with them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NWD4NC8/

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Amazing Thank-you, I will order a 4 pack :)

John

The Stabilo 'Write-4-All' pens are very good and I use them for all my permanent ink pen duties. I have written on my 18650 batteries literally months ago and handle them most days and the ink is nearly as good as the day it was applied, only slightly matted from handling.

http://www.staples.co.uk/write-4-all-fine-black/cbs/356864.html

Try and find the 'Medium' size as it has a nice 1mm size tip.

Edit: Here's a pack of 3 Medium Black with a not extortionate price to go with them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NWD4NC8/

Rapster

Newly Enlightened

Amazing Thank-you, I will order a 4 pack :)

John

Mind sharing where you found the 4-Pack, John?

I'm in the market for some more Medium Write-4-All's but do not want to purchase 10 of them and if 4 are the same or slightly higher than 3, well...

Yeah, I'm careful with my money. :twothumbs

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry 3 pack :ohgeez:it was the write-4-all that must have threw me.

Yeah, I'm careful with my money. :twothumbs[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Rapster

Newly Enlightened

Sorry 3 pack :ohgeez:it was the write-4-all that must have threw me.

Yeah, I'm careful with my money. :twothumbs

Darn it, I was about to take you up on the offer of 5 for £4.64 or whatever it was, John. I wasn't able to reply when I saw your offer this morning (in a rush) and now you've removed it.

Someone beat me to it, John, or did you change your mind?

I'm not prying and you can freely tell me to go mind my own business. :D

P.S. 3-Pack/4-Pack/Write-4-all, easy enough to confuse. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi.

Are you in the UK ?? as International postage via Royal Mail is Expensive.

I paid £8.53 for the 10 pack, So for 5 pen`s it`s £4.27 + 95p 1st or 74p for 2nd class postage.

I only accept paypal gift for payment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CPNHNXC/

John.

Darn it, I was about to take you up on the offer of 5 for £4.64 or whatever it was, John. I wasn't able to reply when I saw your offer this morning (in a rush) and now you've removed it.

Someone beat me to it, John, or did you change your mind?

I'm not prying and you can freely tell me to go mind my own business. :D

P.S. 3-Pack/4-Pack/Write-4-all, easy enough to confuse. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rapster

Newly Enlightened

Hi.

Are you in the UK ?? as International postage via Royal Mail is Expensive.

I paid £8.53 for the 10 pack, So for 5 pen`s it`s £4.27 + 95p 1st or 74p for 2nd class postage.

I only accept paypal gift for payment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CPNHNXC/

John.

Know what? I'll just buy myself 10 also!

By the time the OTH, the kids and my neighbour has 'borrowed' one, I'll probably end up needing all 10 just so's I'm left with 5.

Huge apologies for messing you about though, it's just that when I did the sums I found I may as well just buy the 10 since I'll probably (or someone else will) find good use for them. :oops:

Peace bro'!

As my son would say... lol

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, At that price by the time you loose some, leave the tops of others, friends or kids eat them, you will be glad you bought 10 of them.

John.

Know what? I'll just buy myself 10 also!

By the time the OTH, the kids and my neighbour has 'borrowed' one, I'll probably end up needing all 10 just so's I'm left with 5.

Huge apologies for messing you about though, it's just that when I did the sums I found I may as well just buy the 10 since I'll probably (or someone else will) find good use for them. :oops:

Peace bro'!

As my son would say... lol

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello John,

There are times in a long thread where the topic drifts a little. Finding a way to label cells you have tested in order to keep track of them isn't an "extreme" drift.

To complete the discussion I would be interested in reports from others that have used the "Write-4-All" pens. Rapster seems to find that they work well... anyone else have a report?

As far as deleting posts, I am inclined to let them stand. However, you have the ability to edit your posts. Before you do I would be interested to hear from others that have used these pens. Keeping labels on cells is a constant battle and I am always looking for improvements.

Tom

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Tom

Anybody use a handheld label printer, are they cost effective or is it best to stick to permanent markers.

On the subject of permanent marker, some seem not to be black but dark purple :ohgeez:

John.

Hello John,

There are times in a long thread where the topic drifts a little. Finding a way to label cells you have tested in order to keep track of them isn't an "extreme" drift.

To complete the discussion I would be interested in reports from others that have used the "Write-4-All" pens. Rapster seems to find that they work well... anyone else have a report?

As far as deleting posts, I am inclined to let them stand. However, you have the ability to edit your posts. Before you do I would be interested to hear from others that have used these pens. Keeping labels on cells is a constant battle and I am always looking for improvements.

Tom

maukka

Enlightened

Anybody use a handheld label printer, are they cost effective or is it best to stick to permanent markers.

I have a Dymo LabelManager 160. The edges of the labels come off soon on their own. I've switched to using markers.