Small Portable Radio's?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another contender for you small-n'-cheap fans; the Radio Shack 2000669 - AM/FM/SW, 57 station presets, clock, 2xAAA power, $28. Getting some above average [for category] reviews.

pjEP5IH.jpg

It's a bit odd that Radio Shack (usually) kicks butt when it comes to radios.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sony SRF-T615

Love my T615, but ~40 hours on a pair of batteries isn't remarkable, and not everyone wants to listen to a 1" speaker for hours. Aside from that, it now costs as much as a CCrane CCRadio2E..

It's a bit odd that Radio Shack (usually) kicks butt when it comes to radios.

Eh, a few exceptions, a few clearances. They're still not really competing with the online radio stores.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my T615, but ~40 hours on a pair of batteries isn't remarkable, and not everyone wants to listen to a 1" speaker for hours. Aside from that, it now costs as much as a CCrane CCRadio2E..
I listen to mine every day for a few minutes, bbc news is on about that time of morning, to a station that does not need the headphone wire as an antenna. I bought mine for a fraction of what they are selling for now. The second one works fine and serves as backup.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
New Europe/Japan-only Sony, the ICF-M780; AM/FM/SW, 3xC power or AC, possibly a passive radiator speaker, ~$100. Looks like quite the tabletop casual listener:

qoFhLk9.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
County Comm version of the Tecsun radio arrived awhile back. Will let you guys know what I think of it a bit later on.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay Allen posted a review of the C. Crane CC Skywave radio. Thomas from SWLing mentioned he is also going to review the C. Crane CC Skywave and is asking for input from the readers on what they would like to know about the radio. Looks like a nice very small radio with lots of features.

Radiojayallen.com said:
Conclusion: The CC Skywave Radio is a fun radio to own and use. Its combination of great performance, ease of use, small size plus the inclusion of Weather and Air bands in addition to AM/FM/SW make it an unusually useful traveling companion. Highly recommended!

caf2892a-1abb-4a5c-b6c9-9f305f0faaa3_zpsac76bce9.jpg

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
County Comm version of the Tecsun radio arrived awhile back. Will let you guys know what I think of it a bit later on.
I'm curious on how the speaker performs with spoken word broadcasts. I like the station scan feature.

Does anyone know of differences between the two brandings with regard to features, performance?

1. Tecsun PL-360 Digital PLL Portable AM/FM Shortwave Radio with DSP

2. CountyComm GP-5 DSP General Purpose Radio

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of differences between the two brandings with regard to features, performance?

1. Tecsun PL-360 Digital PLL Portable AM/FM Shortwave Radio with DSP

2. CountyComm GP-5 DSP General Purpose Radio

5S8Zh5

I do not believe there is a significant difference between the Tecsun PL-360 and the CountyComm GP-5.

However there is a new version of the radio on the way which is the CountyComm GP-5/SSB that offers SSB both upper and lower and a wider shortwave range (shortwave 2300-30000 VS 2300-21950). Unfortunately the radios are stuck in California waiting to be unloaded at the dock where there is a labor strike so it is unclear when the radios will be ready to ship. You can read about the radio via the link below.

Universal Radio Inc.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
5S8Zh5

I do not believe there is a significant difference between the Tecsun PL-360 and the CountyComm GP-5.

However there is a new version of the radio on the way which is the CountyComm GP-5/SSB that offers SSB both upper and lower and a wider shortwave range (shortwave 2300-30000 VS 2300-21950). Unfortunately the radios are stuck in California waiting to be unloaded at the dock where there is a labor strike so it is unclear when the radios will be ready to ship. You can read about the radio via the link below.

Universal Radio Inc.
They've been stuck for going on more than a month now I think. Double the price of the GP-5 DSP.

I got the GP-5 DSP. (just search for CountyComm GP-5 DSP General Purpose Radio)

Here are a few videos, the first showing the ETM (easy tuning mode) that scans and saves all stations for later listening - after seeing that I bought it.

How To Demo

Night scan

Accessories Included

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Tecsun is coming out with a new full featured portable radio which is the Tecsun PL-680. The Tecsun PL-680 spec wise is very close to the PL-660 and like the PL-660 the PL-680 includes SSB and sync.

The PL-660 is currently being sold by Anon on eBay for 85.00 plus shipping and in mind anyway is one the best values on the market for anyone looking for a full featured portable which includes sync. It will be interesting to see if the PL-680 will gain the same respect from the SW community as the PL-660.

Tecsun PL-680

PL-680-Nevada_zps06db8114.jpg

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the market for a small, inexpensive battery powered weather radio. Most of you are much more informed than myself about these, so what's good?

The Kaito KA210 would fit your needs. AM/FM and NOAA weather bands (No alert functions, however) and DSP tuning. Takes 2XAA, has headphone jack, telescopic antenna, external speaker and will fit in a shirt pocket. There's also a KA200 model that looks alike, but it has no weather band, so be watchful of that.
The KA210 is 20 bucks at Amazon.

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how it compares to the PL-880?

The big question is performance which for now anyway is an unknown for the PL-680. The PL-880 performs well but the Sync and SSB are sub-par as compared to the PL-660. I have a difficult time tuning in SSB on my PL-880 and the sync hurts more than it helps. But on the other hand the speaker and control inputs are outstanding on the PL-880 and overall the PL-880 has the quality feel of a top of the line product. On paper the PL-880, PL-660 and the PL-680 seem similar in terms of features and capabilities but in till you have one in your hands and see how the radios really performs it's hard to compare. What's interesting is if you look at the PL-680 and the PL-660 side by side you will notice the placement of the keys matchup almost exactly which makes me wonder if the PL-680 is simply just a replacement for the PL-660 but at a lower price point. If the PL-680 performs as well as the PL-660 and has a passive radiator speaker like the PL-880 then Tecsun could hit a homerun with this radio. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Thomas has posted his review of the C. Crane CC Skywave portable radio

Last edited: