Small portable radios?

paulr

Flashaholic
That Coby looks pretty similar (but not the same) as the slightly smaller Countycomm $10 radio labelled "Kaiwa", fwiw.

DaveT

Enlightened
I'm not too high on the Coby brand...had a very small radio from them - smaller than a pack of cigarettes, had a built-in lanyard to hang around your neck, thumb-wheel adjustment for stations, AM/FM - worked well for about 2-3 months, then it started having problems with keeping a station steady and audio quality.
That's when I got that small Sony, which I've had more than 8 months. I love the digital tuning and memory presets, and will gladly trade that for the battery drain - I think the life on it is still great.
Dave

fuego

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy with the Grundig Traveller II.I got it on ebay for $26.AM,FM,SW.Uses AA(4)and is approx 5x3.5x1.Definitely not a POS.

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, the $2.50 radio stopped running last night. It had been on for more than 24 hours nonstop, but less than 36 hours, on partially discharged 700 mAH NiMH cells, running a big pair of Sony headphones (instead of the tiny earbuds which probably use less power) for about half of the run. So I think a pair of alkaline batteries can probably run it for around 40 hours. That means a CR2450 coin cell could run it maybe 20 hours, and a CR2032 maybe 10 hours. Not bad, not bad at all.

paulr

Flashaholic
Further: I've been seeing more similar radios with the same interface, scan and reset button and no tuning dial. They must all use the same chip. I just saw one at the local liquor/convenience store for $1.99 including two cheap AAA's. This one is in a different form factor like a highlight marker, about 1 inch wide and 5 inches long, with a pocket clip. You could carry it in your shirt pocket like a pen. It might be a little more packable than the squarish ones I got. It might also be a better candidate for a coin cell mod (saw off the lower 2 inches or so where the AAA's are). Spending 20 bucks on that one from Uniquestuff isn't looking attractive.

The Countycomm radio is a Kawai KA-989 which got some decent reviews around the net. It apparently normally sells for around 20 bucks.

For higher class radios, I'd lean towards the Sony 1aaa model with the TV and weather bands plus AM/FM.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Avix said:
maybe a bit more than you want to pay ($35.00), but it's got solar, crank, nihm internal and AA batteries. AM/FM/WX/SW.

http://tinyurl.com/2b4pa

comes with ear buds and wire antenna.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of those - the older model without the digital display. It's made by Kaito. It's an excellent unit, but a lot bigger than what's been called for on this thread. Still an excellent choice, though, and you can get by completely without batteries by just winding it a few seconds every couple hours.

Still looking for something smaller to complement it, though.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Harrkev said:
If you don't mind going "ultra deluxe," you might want to try one of these:

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=103&encProdID=rHqQH%2FVccfo%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

It is a LOT more than $20, but worh it. And it DOES have digital scanning with hundreds of memories. Picks up AM, FM, weather, TV, shorwave, police/fire/EMS, corless phones, Throw in a long-wire antenna, and you are set for anything...

But this is an item for a the descriminating customer. It is the "surefulre" of hand-held radios.

Here is what I carry every day (it also transmits):
http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5019&Group=5

[/ QUOTE ]

That Yaesu looks pretty similar to the Icom IC-R5. Are you familiar with that unit? I've been eyeing the Icom for about a year, but didn't know about the Yaesu. I'll be looking into it. Thanks for the link.

Harrkev

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
That Yaesu looks pretty similar to the Icom IC-R5. Are you familiar with that unit? I've been eyeing the Icom for about a year, but didn't know about the Yaesu. I'll be looking into it. Thanks for the link.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yaesu model was a competitor to the Icom IC-R2, and is an older version. It is far better than the IC-R2, but I have not compared to the IC-R5. Both are probably good choices.

avusblue

Enlightened
Hey guys, be alert that the Sony SRF-M37 referred to above is available on eBay for $13.98 shipped. It has an American Express logo on it, but its sucha good deal that I went ahead and snapped one up as a spare. As of this writing there are 12 left.

Here's the link.

sony00.gif

No affiliation, yada yada, just posting as a public service.

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dave

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dave, I just ordered one. We'll see if it's a goodie or not. If not, I live here in the city so I'll just return it in person. Used but they look like they're in good condition. Probably an American Express promotional product but still less than half price. Should get here pretty quick.

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tad, I think I was in line just in front of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I picked up two. Hope they're okay! Incidentally, for those who haven't looked at the listing yet, the first one costs $6.99 with $6.99 shipping, but each additional one tacks on only $2.00 shipping. Figured I'd average down my cost a bit by going for a couple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Tad, I think I was in line just in front of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I picked up two. Hope they're okay! Incidentally, for those who haven't looked at the listing yet, the first one costs $6.99 with $6.99 shipping, but each additional one tacks on only $2.00 shipping. Figured I'd average down my cost a bit by going for a couple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Scott, I watched the quantity drop by two as I was viewing the listing and then the seller's feedback! I figured what the heck for $14 it was worth a shot, looks like you scored by ordering two for the minimal shipping increase. According to other listings of the same product in their feedback section these are in excellent condition, so it looks like a good deal. These radios are highly recommended by Dave T and he's a great guy so this was a good opportunity. Thanks again for the tip Dave (Avusblue).

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, good deal spotting that Ebay sale, thanks. I do notice that the way Sony sells those things, they come with nice looking headphones instead of those cheap earbuds. The earbuds are preferable for compactness, but lower quality ones tend to have flaky plugs.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt I'll use the buds. Sony's headphones are stinko anyway, I have a few pairs in brand new condition because I always replace them with Koss Sportapro folding headphones immediately. A buddy of mine that worked at J&R music and really knew his stuff showed me how some of the electronics made by Sony could be the best on the market if they just had better phones and now I always want to test stuff with the Koss' first before buying. I mean it is really that big of a difference.

paulr

Flashaholic
Sony makes some pretty good headphones (I have their MDR-V6 which are excellent). Maybe their standard Walkman phones are no good, I'll take your word for that. I have no direct experience.

I looked at that Sony radio in the store and it's noticably larger than the $2.50 thing I got, but it's sure a lot nicer. I might buy one, dunno. Anyone else want one? Maybe we can split the shipping charge, those things should weigh just a couple ounces and cost less than a buck to mail.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Sony SRF-M37's today from the ebay listing. They look and work great. One does have a minor scratch on one edge, so non-critical that I didn't even notice it until hours after I started playing with that particular radio. The other unit is near-perfect cosmetically. In the more important (for emergency use, anyway) category of function, both work as advertised. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, while I was finding a place to stash these new radios, I rediscovered a really small Sony unit I had a friend send me direct from Japan a few years ago. I don't think it was ever sold over here. It's a Sony SRF-M90. I have the silver one shown here...

SRF-M90-JE.gif

It measures about 3-1/2 by 1-3/4 by 5/8 inches. Runs on 2aaa batteries. Very nice! But I got it to clip on my jogging shorts while running, then found it doesn't have a clip. Now I don't really need it.

If someone could use it for their emergency kit, I'll sell it for $20 plus postage and Paypal fees. I paid much more than that to get it originally, but otherwise it'll just sit in the closet. Might as well let it be useful for someone else. I'll send some bud-style earphones, too, although not particularly good ones. PM me if interested.

paulr

Flashaholic
That's an FM-only unit, right? How big is it compared to the SRF-M37?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paulr, it does both AM and FM. If you look REALLY closely at the text under the words "FM STEREO" in the photo, you can barely see where is says, "FM/AM RADIO".

Sizewise, it's about half the thickness of the SRF-M37. Its height is the same as the SRF-M37's width. Its width is about two-thirds that of the SRF-M37.

Put another way, turn that little silver radio on its side, put it on top of the SRF-M37, and it'll come up to the bottom edge of the SRF-M37's display. Does that make any sense to you?

Subjectively speaking, it "feels" like it's half the size.

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm, how does the FM sound? Does it have the right channel spacing and equilization for use in the US?