Smoking...How to Quit?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yes, it's different for everyone.

There are 3 major mechanisms to work with. Physical, habitual and mental. The patch and gum help with the physical withdrawal, but you still have a lot to overcome. Each person has different habits to break and emotional barriers to get past. That's where the programs help.

Daniel

lambo

Newly Enlightened
I've used a little credit-card sized computer called "Lifesign" -- available here -- that incorporates almost all the excellent suggestions made in UK Owl's post above. It starts out with a one-week warm up period where you punch a button every time you light up so the computer learns your smoking patterns. During that week you read the included literature and give some serious thought to why you want to quit. Then, for the next two to four weeks, the computer tells you when to smoke, gradually increasing the time between cigarettes until you're down to 3, 2, 1 a day.

I've used this dandy little machine a number of times to quit, and I've found it takes away much of the temptation to cheat when you're trying to cut down in some systematic way. And the actual quitting, at least in retrospect, seems fairly easy. (At least to me. I've have no success at all with other methods. After three days of cold turkey, my girlfriend at the time was begging me to smoke.)

Of course, "I've used it a number of times" is the problem, which I think comes from the memory of how easy it was to quit. You may be more inclined than with other methods to go back to smoking months later when something stresses you out because you think "I can always quit again, it was easy". Still, I suppose even that is quite a bit better than smoking all those intervening months. (The computer actually recognizes that you may need a number of attempts to quit: it can be "rebooted" a couple times in each of the time-spans if you need to start over. I seem to recall that you can even reuse it if you start up again later after "successfully" quitting.)

Moreover, it's a gadget, which should satisfy the flashaholic in you. You don't have to be called "gadget lover" (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif) to think that gadgets, on the whole, make life easier.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
The problem that has always stood in my way was answering the question, "If I stop smoking, what the hell am I going to do after sex"?

[/ QUOTE ]

More sex?

Much better than smoking!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
After trying to quit for years I finally quit smoking five years ago by using Nicorette. The patch also works.

Luxbright

Enlightened
Just to share, quiting smoking is very easy, because I did it so many times.

Now jokes aside, I had been smoking for more than 40 years until one day last September, I had a bad sore throat so I just quit like that.

I'm currently lighting up but in a different way--flashlights.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I smoke off and on. I dont around my folks, holidays, sickness or when I am asleep. I do not really have the urges once i have the last one either. Sure, I wouldnt mind lighting up, sure they are cheap and easy to get, but I dont smoke at those times cause of the situations. Ive never noticed any sideeffects, other than wanting to light up. Then again I cant eat beef cause of some alergy, but still get the urges for that.

fuelblender

Enlightened
Wellbutrin worked wonders for me ... After day one, it was like I had never smoked in my life. That's how hard it was to quit.

It's been 8 years since my last smoke. Just as well - blending gasoline and smoking never went together too well.

rayearth

Newly Enlightened
All of the above are good suggestions. As it has been said before, "You are unique, just like everyone else."
It may take 1 or 20 tries to quit. However, each "failure" is not just that, it is another step to quitting, just so long as you have the desire to quit. Some people can gradually cut down; others need to quit cold turkey. Some can do it without aids, but this does greatly increase the risk of failure. Best approach is to use a combination of methods. Personally, I prefer 1) a definite stop smoking date, 2) wellbutrin/zyban, 3) nicotine gum/patches, and 4) trigger avoidance. Do not be afraid to fail - just try harder the next time. Oh, BTW, another trick is to save all the money spent on smokes into a piggy bank. After several months of staying smoke-free, splurge on something nice to reward yourself - this can hammer the point home for many people. If you have a pack-day habit of $3 smokes, in three months or so, you can get that uber-nice custom made light of your dreams /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm down to 4 or 5 cigarettes a day now. A lot of the information above has been useful, but interestingly, what xochi wrote keeps resonating each time I have an urge to puff..

[ QUOTE ]
4. There were times when I felt like I was loosing my best friend and couldn't deal with the idea of never smoking again. This is more junk that your mind is throwing at you to get you to smoke because IT wants nicotine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Goodbye best friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I am a bit wary of taking drugs, but see that many reccommend Wellbutrin. I'll leave that as a last resort if others fail. Thanks again for all the info.

lambo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
rayearth said:
Oh, BTW, another trick is to save all the money spent on smokes into a piggy bank. After several months of staying smoke-free, splurge on something nice to reward yourself - this can hammer the point home for many people. If you have a pack-day habit of $3 smokes, in three months or so, you can get that uber-nice custom made light of your dreams /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. I rolled my own, which is quite cheap, and only smoked ten or so a day, and I still managed to pay for most of an X990 that way with the savings over a few months.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I quit short term like I do during holidays, when I am ill, etc. Man, the first day wasnt that bad. I dont normally smoke one out of bed, but a few hours later 7am or so. About the end of the day I got a splitting head ache, although my neck was bothering me too. (Keep in mind smoking half a pack a day helps me manage my pain). Day two went on with no problems although I felt I was missing something. Like a beanie baby of ELMO I sometime sput in my shirt pocket or my watch I stick in another pocket. Several days later I started having day dreams of smoking. Finally, Saturday I inhaled. Man that was great. I felt bad the whole gobble gobble break I took and wondered if i needed rest or just to constinue smoking.

Latest posts