Social Security.... the Oily Truth.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
As long as Americans only elect slimeballs, it's only going to get worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd place the blame on people that believe that politicians can save us from ourselves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't think thats really on the local zoning boards mission statement...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
i'd place the blame on people that believe that politicians can save us from ourselves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't think thats really on the local zoning boards mission statement...

[/ QUOTE ]
That's really the heart of the problem not just with Social Security but with Medicare, Medicaid, and many of our silly laws. We insist on not only trying to protect idiots from themselves, but also on picking up after them when they screw up. I say no to government trying to do either.

As for Social Security and Medicare, allow a person to put any amount up to the entire 15.3% of payroll into a private account. Once they do, they lose a proportionate amount of future benefits. If they opt out entirely, the government has no obligation to them whatsoever. And no forced "insurance coverage" for those who opt out. If they want to buy medical or life insurance, wonderful. If not, the private savings account serves that same purpose. Insurance conceptually is another scam. Those who are responsible/healthy pay for those who aren't. Best of all, if your accounts do well you can retire far earlier than Social Security's stipulated age 67 (the age at which I would receive full benefits).

BTW, for single people like myself who never plan to have children most of the "safety net" aspect of Social Security is worthless. This is why many in my generation or younger regard it mainly as a savings account. Even the so-called disability part, which is about the only thing possibly of value to someone like me, is so full of stipulations as to be worthless. If you're disabled and there's some job, any job, someone in the US which you can do with your disability then you can't get SS disability. Never mind if it pays $3 an hour, requires you to move across the country, or is in a trade you have no experience in. So long as the job exists (yes, exists even if there are no current openings), even though you obviously wouldn't relocate for it, you can't get the benefits. I know. My mom was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome (I have it too but not as bad as my mom) by a doctor in the mid 1980s, tried for SS disability, and was rejected for exactly the reasons I outlined. They had a whole list of "jobs" she could do, even though most were far away, and not necessarily available anyway. She was/is disabled to the point that she can't use her hands on any kind of regular basis yet was totally ineligible for any help. If this is a safety net I'll take my chances with private accounts. At least I don't have to give a reason for drawing upon my account.

BTW, congratulations on 3000 posts James S! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me say this, my dad worked two jobs between the time he was in the navy for ten years and worked for the DOD for the past 35 years in addition to most catalog stores that are out of business. Now that he is retired he gets 313 dollars a month to live off of. GOod thing he took the early retirement from DOD and got a lump of 25 grand to supplement the 313 a month he gets. I am sure if he put the money aside that was used for this fund he would have more.

Then again, we dont know how long any of us will live either and if a sudden disease wiped out the elderly or we have a population explosion ss will be saved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, when that magic date comes around that it will run out, really only 75% of the claims will be covered, it wont be a total wipe out for everyone, just a part.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I agree with eliminating social security. Car insurance should be the same way. We don't force people to buy health insurance! If you choose to drive a car without insurance and have an accident, you are responsible to pay for all damages. If you can't pay, you go to prison where you can pay it back making license plates.....

If you don't save enough for your retirement, well, dog food is a suprising nutrition value, and I personally don't mind getting my windshield cleaned at every intersection.

This would make for a much more efficient economy, and that's really what is most important in life, isn't it?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO all of the talk about the upcoming crash of Social Security is
moot. For many the SS system crashed years ago. They stole
my money every day that I worked. They used it for things that the
pols felt were important -- like fixing potholes and countless other
vote buying schemes.

Trying to attain disability status with SS is a process that may
take years and the outcome is often considered to be completely
arbitrary, even by professionals who work with the system every
day. If I sound angry it's because I am.

The problems of SS are exacerbated by a totally apathetic public.
Those still alive in the demographic lovingly described by Tom
Brokaw as "the greatest generation that ever lived" are
removing from SS three times what they put into it and they are
so self absorbed and short sighted that they seem to be totally
unaware that they are stealing it from their own children and
grand children.
Usually when masses of people are able to
rationalize plundering the future wealth of their own descendants
it's a sure sign that significant change will be very difficult to
initiate.

While there are some risks associated with privatization they are
trivial compared what we will face if we do not wrench it from the
grasp of the Fed.

YMMV. I hope so.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave Ramsey? Hes on sirius and xm satellite radio, nationwide, canada and a few hundred miles off the coast.

Latest posts