Somali pirates (not of the Caribbean)

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an overview story of the problem--interesting details like catered Western food for hostage crewmembers and a boomtown for poor Somalis. The pirates, like drug runners in Mexico and Colombia, are local heroes.

If the story is accurate, and it may not be, the hostages are treated relatively well. This would be an incentive for them to surrender rather than risk death in a battle for the ship. If the hostages thought they'd be shark food, they'd fight like cornered animals.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27806965/

Note the historic parallels--increasing hunting grounds and ransom demands. When you get away with a crime, you not only keep doing it, but expand your ambitions. Apparently, these pirates are relatively wealthy, even by developed world standards. I don't own a Land Rover.

Culhain

Enlightened
The pirate Jean Lafitte, who aided General Andy Jackson in the battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812 and became a US folk hero, would have been envious of the Somali pirates.

Those without the fortitude to defend themselves are destined to become victims. The predators win and then write history to suit themselves.

Empath

Flashaholic
I don't know what happened in the thread to make so many think the use of off-colored language is fitting, but there has been a significant number of posts that have been administratively edited and phrases deleted to remove the references to genitalia. This is a family friendly board.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey maybe I smell a new career for me.
Ship guarding? Boarder repeller? Nah, CHAINGUNNER! There we go.

Since none of the nations with superior firepower are willing to do what's needed, because of political reasons, someone with a ton of money is going to create a new, needed, service..... Professional protection for the larger merchant ships. For a fee, you get a company that supplies your ship with trained, dedicated, ex-soldiers. Plenty of ex-soldiers out in the world who could use a fat paycheck. (I don't mean mercenaries. More like bodyguards for the ship's crew & cargo).

And why not? None of the developed nations are going to send men onto the beaches to route the pirates from their strongholds. It's disgusting how absolutely pathetic the world has become.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Between 1801-1805 the US joined by Sweden and mercenaries waged the first of two Barbary Wars against segments of the Otoman Empire who were supporting and involved in Piracy on the high seas. Effort is celebrated in the Marine Hymm, "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli. Previous to the wars we, like other countries including the British Empire. were paying 1,000,000 a year to keep from being pirated, 20% of our revenue. When our navy became stronger we said in effect, "no more".

What the world is doing now is paying that kind of tribute and more, in the form of ransoms, to modern age pirates. I think it is time for the world to say, "no more".

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What the world is doing now is paying that kind of tribute and more, in the form of ransoms, to modern age pirates. I think it is time for the world to say, "no more".

Bill

I look around, and the only strong-willed leaders I see are the dictators.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since none of the nations with superior firepower are willing to do what's needed, because of political reasons, someone with a ton of money is going to create a new, needed, service..... Professional protection for the larger merchant ships. For a fee, you get a company that supplies your ship with trained, dedicated, ex-soldiers. Plenty of ex-soldiers out in the world who could use a fat paycheck. (I don't mean mercenaries. More like bodyguards for the ship's crew & cargo).
I've been thinking about this a bit. Why couldn't the ships just mount a .50 BMG machine gun on the front, back, and each side of the ship? Much longer range than the RPG's the pirates carry. On a smaller scale, have a couple of guys with .50 caliber Barrett sniper rifles that can address the threat when it is still a mile or two away. Start filling the approaching craft with half inch holes, and they'll turn tale and run (or sink).

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I know of no one on earth (this includes many snipers I served with) who can make a 1-2 mile shot on the rolling seas.
Lot of wind on the water too.................

Great idea but let them get a little closer to you!

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got a point but I sure would not be willing to approach a ship that is firing .50 rounds at me you might get the lucky bullet.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've been thinking about this a bit. Why couldn't the ships just mount a .50 BMG machine gun on the front, back, and each side of the ship? Much longer range than the RPG's the pirates carry. On a smaller scale, have a couple of guys with .50 caliber Barrett sniper rifles that can address the threat when it is still a mile or two away. Start filling the approaching craft with half inch holes, and they'll turn tale and run (or sink).

You're assuming that members of the crew have the training and the will to use such weapons. On a large merchant ship, that's not likely.

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget that they'll be up against rpg's and other forms of cheap missiles that can be brought cheaply on the black market left over from wars etc

Also up against drugged up pirates that have nothing to fear and don't care about dying for a quick buck.

Ideally you'll need something that can lock on them from a great distance and take them out before they can ever get near to be in range of getting you.

An old aircraft carrier with some A-10s on it should do the trick and/or a few Apaches both fully armed to the hens teeth. :naughty:

Personally I like the A-10s :cool:

meuge

Enlightened
And why not? None of the developed nations are going to send men onto the beaches to route the pirates from their strongholds. It's disgusting how absolutely pathetic the world has become.
Actually, I saw in the news that Russia has offered NATO to conduct a joint operation which would involve naval and land operations to remove the pirate strongholds.

Unfortunately, NATO has declined the offer.

Burgess

Flashaholic
An old aircraft carrier with some A-10s on it should do the trick

A-10 Warthogs are not carrier aircraft. :shakehead

Although, they DO have a nice 30mm cannon. :)

This is a very interesting thread !

:popcorn:
_

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Actually, I saw in the news that Russia has offered NATO to conduct a joint operation which would involve naval and land operations to remove the pirate strongholds.

Unfortunately, NATO has declined the offer.

I wish I could say I'm surprised. But I'm not. :ironic:

NATO is about as effective as a one-legged man in an @$$ kicking contest.

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened
An old aircraft carrier with some A-10s on it should do the trick

A-10 Warthogs are not carrier aircraft. :shakehead

Although, they DO have a nice 30mm cannon. :)

This is a very interesting thread !

:popcorn:
_

They are one impressive aircraft - love the way they look like they are virtually going backwards when they fire up that cannon.... :naughty:

Nothing them pirates have could match one of them I reckon... :D