Some consumer laws are absurd!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
The few times I've had work done at a garage (I usually do my own) I _demand_ the old parts back. You're just asking to get screwed if you don't. Anyone who thinks this law is silly is blissfully unaware.

Most Fram filters are poorly made, and their best filter is way overpriced. Oil filters are a lot more complicated than some people realize. No need to get an expensive one, just a well-made one. I've been using Motorcraft (likely by Purolator) in my Jeep for a while with no problems.

I'm not sold in K&N air filters unless you live in a dust-free climate. All the tests I've seen showed they let more dirt into the engine than any other brand. To me, reduced wear is worth more than a couple extra HP.

Unaware or sensible?

If my mechanic hands me an old part, am I going to know if its defective or even from my vehicle? I doubt it.

A few months ago, I had my clutch replaced and intake manifold gasket replaced. I knew that I had a problem in each area but whether he used nutty putty to do a patch or new parts, I would never know.

Empath

Flashaholic
Place a comic book up against the area where the manifold gasket would be. If an image of the comic page is transfered, he used nutty putty.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marty Weiner said:
Unaware or sensible?

If my mechanic hands me an old part, am I going to know if its defective or even from my vehicle? I doubt it.

A few months ago, I had my clutch replaced and intake manifold gasket replaced. I knew that I had a problem in each area but whether he used nutty putty to do a patch or new parts, I would never know.

Sensible? I'm not sure I follow you there. If you want to be in the dark about your car that's fine with me, but I think this is a good idea for people who do care. Your unfamiliarity with cars shouldn't make you think no one else would benefit.

Last edited:

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Consumer laws protect the consumer and the manufacturer/wholesaler/retailer. Happiness for both sides.:) ...Now give me that dirty oil filter!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts