Southern Georgia (U.S.) Swamp Pictures

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
They probably do have a special permit to hunt that amount. The American Alligator was hunted to near extinction at one time, and as long as we're a civilized country, that will never happen again. A lot of alligators are actually farm raised for food, and hide now, but either way, Louisiana has a LOT of alligators. Florida has a pile of alligators too. I guess it's because both states have a lot of wetlands. Anyway, I know you don't like seeing their demise on Swamp People, but (and I'm sure you know this) too much of something can be bad. If populations aren't kept in check they can cause damage to other populations that they prey on. Down here, alligator meat is a delicacy (gator tail). I've only eaten it a couple of times.
Check out this gators meal :D:

Oh yeah, there's a huge gator out there, and I think it's female because I usually see one or two smaller ones with it. I was hoping they would be there when I took these pictures, but they were a no show, or they probably saw me, but remained hidden so I couldn't see them. I'll try to sneak up near the water next time before I get in the boat; I can probably get a picture that way, but once I'm in the boat, they hide.

Hey, check this out: Burmese Pythons are actually becoming a problem in Florida, and they say they might be headed north, which is straight towards me. These snakes have even been known to kill alligators. It's my understanding that pet owners either release these snakes into the wild or the snakes escape. Either way, they've started breeding.
Clicky

Last edited:

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't worry too much about gators. I would bet next weks pay check there are more gators in Florida than cows in Wisconsin. In many places they have become a dangerous nuisance animal when people feed them.

I see a lot of them out on the St. Johns River. FWC estimates there are well over 20,000 in that river alone.

UniqueBaron

Newly Enlightened
Great pics! Those wasps look nasty, I would stay far far away from them and never get close enough to take a picture.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics! Those wasps look nasty, I would stay far far away from them and never get close enough to take a picture.

Yeah, with all of the limbs directly over the water, I'm constantly on the lookout. I have actually drifted directly under a nest about the size of the one pictured above, and they didn't bother me. I actually had to lay on my back to duck from hitting the nest, and as my head went under the nest from about 2 ft away, all I could think about is, "this is going to hurt like hell!" LOL... I guess I either got lucky or the wasp will let you get away with it as long as you don't touch the nest, or move it in any way. I don't care to try it again though.