Specialty Tools

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Repairing capacitor related faults would have been so much easier with the ESR meters available today, back during the early 2000s these devices were most desirable but far less advanced 😉

images (6).jpeg

3_gun

Enlightened
A K18 RF/GS/GPS/camera detector. In today's world if you want to secure your living/working space from unwanted scanning/spying it's $$ well spent. Picks up WiFi, Bluetooth, cell signals & GPS + it has a light & filtered lens for spotting hidden camera lens that might be recording to an onboard source. Just used it to test Faraday cell phone bags before buying ; SURPRISE many don't work well or at all. The second surprise was a bag that sold for $22 for 2 locked the phone down tight [Onever]. The third surprise was the phone turned off still tripped the detector every 30secs outside the bag. Forth, the phone turned off & in the bag, the battery died from a full charge in 3 days or less, much faster than when out of the bag. I can only guess that if the phone doesn't get a ping it pings more often trying to get a connection. Sadly this K18 doesn't tell you what signal tripped the unit, only the strength. I'm not a high risk target so it's good enough for my needs.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Wow! You guys have some seriously specialized tools!

The phone wiring in my house was messed up. When I went voice over IP, I had two different techs try to get the phone line next to the kitchen counter to work. Each spent an hour or two, and didn't get it. I felt badly thinking that they got paid for the job, not by the hour. I just bought a wireless system, and went with that.

Later I decided to get a tone generator and probe to see if I could figure it out.
A couple of wires from the outside changed colors somewhere along the way. My best bet is that there was a junction box somewhere in the attic.

Without this tool, I'd still be using a wireless system.

1697021336641.png

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Wow! You guys have some seriously specialized tools!

The phone wiring in my house was messed up. When I went voice over IP, I had two different techs try to get the phone line next to the kitchen counter to work. Each spent an hour or two, and didn't get it. I felt badly thinking that they got paid for the job, not by the hour. I just bought a wireless system, and went with that.

Later I decided to get a tone generator and probe to see if I could figure it out.
A couple of wires from the outside changed colors somewhere along the way. My best bet is that there was a junction box somewhere in the attic.

View attachment 50598
Aka Fox & Hound set. I like the detachable cable on the tone generator in this set.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one, but when the fiber optic cable buriers came out to lay fiber optic line to my house, they had a signal tracer to locate buried power lines. They clipped the transmitter to the conduit going from my house into the ground to locate wires going to my yard lamps. The regular utility locator people use them, too. Pretty handy, and saves a lot of hand digging.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I don't have one, but when the fiber optic cable buriers came out to lay fiber optic line to my house, they had a signal tracer to locate buried power lines. They clipped the transmitter to the conduit going from my house into the ground to locate wires going to my yard lamps. The regular utility locator people use them, too. Pretty handy, and saves a lot of hand digging.
Yes, that's a larger, higher-powered version of the same thing. It comes with an inductive coupling clamp that goes around the cable or conduit that needs to be identified as it passes underground. Works really well. I used one to locate a water line under the front yard as well as a power conduit that crosses the back yard. Saves a lot of exploratory digging and a possible disaster with a backhoe.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When they were lying underground cable in my development they used a air compressor powered ram to get under the driveways without tearing them up. They'd dig a hole perpendicular to the driveway, and drop this air ram into it. Then they'd dig a trench parallel to the driveway on the other side, to see where this air ram comes out.

turbodog

Flashaholic

View attachment 50598

I used to have one like that.

They were not equipped w/ needed gear.

This unit will tone and test pinouts w/o having to go back and change the tone generator. IIRC it sends analog and digital down the wires at the same time. Only unit I've seen tone out a run patched into a live switch.

Bought one after I saw a guy use one to find a tone in a rack of 1000-1500 connections in under 30 seconds. Unreal.

1697512514339.png

turbodog

Flashaholic
rare item...

used for checking static electricity levels on robot playing fields before a match. if too high = fried robot

we've seen some fields with 5-7kv of static electricity

can also check robot itself... some tend to generate static as they drive/operate... depends on construction.

1697513145952.png

Poppy

Flashaholic
1697973236959.png

A sawzall is a tool that is hardly ever needed, but when it is, it just can't be beat.

I know that I told this story before, so I'll just make it brief.
A friend's church basement got flooded, and it was decided to remove the bottom four feet of sheetrock throughout. That was about 300 linear feet of walls.

With a chalk line, and a long blade on the sawzall, it made fairly quick work of the task. Two men carting the debris away were challenged trying to keep up with me.

When they were lying underground cable in my development they used a air compressor powered ram to get under the driveways without tearing them up. They'd dig a hole perpendicular to the driveway, and drop this air ram into it. Then they'd dig a trench parallel to the driveway on the other side, to see where this air ram comes out.

The green moss at the top of the video is our asphalt driveway.

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? 🧐

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to bring up flashlights on a flashlight forum, but since much of the flashlight talk has become either sparse or stale or boring of late, why not?

This has already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned, and with no need to *******ize or compromise snap ring or expensive needle-nose pliers which don't work as well anyway, this was a good purchase. 'Specialty' indeed:

EDIT: It appears 'automod / autocensor' could use some of that so-called 'AI':)