Steelers QB (Roethlisberger) in serious motorcycle crash and wasn't wearing a helmet!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Re: Steelers QB (Roethlisberger) in serious motorcycle crash and wasn't wearing a helmet!

I know at least _some_ of it is gas prices.

cyberhobo said:
Has anybody noticed the increase in motorcycle riders in the past 8 years. I think Americans are looking for some freedom or independent thought that has been stolen from them. Or, is it a silent rebellion of sorts? Don't know, just a theory.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Re: Steelers QB (Roethlisberger) in serious motorcycle crash and wasn't wearing a helmet!

This brings up an interesting point. Motorcycle license/motorcycle endorsement.

About a year ago, I was seriously shopping for one of these maxi-scooters. Honda reflex or maybe Honda silverwing.

I asked the local dealer about a license. He said they didn't check and/or care. If I had the cash, the bike was mine.

Expect people to start suing the dealers for selling to someone w/o a license.

nerdgineer said:
I'm hearing now that he also didn't have a license to drive a motorcycle. He had a learner's permit but had let it lapse...

He's an grown up guy who made his call. What he does about it next time he goes riding - assuming he ever does - is still his call. What lessons we take home from his accident is our call...

turbodog

Flashaholic
Surprise!

Your job's insurance premiums WILL go up if you have a serious MC injury. Then your employer will be forced to raise their prices for whatever good or service they produce. This price increase will be born by ME and the other consumers/taxpayers.

Either that or they will have to find cheaper/crappier coverage, or drop coverage altogether, or simply go out of business. Then taxpayers will foot the bill for everyones workman's comp checks.

In the end, taxpayers pay for everything. ALL costs are eventually passed onto the consumer.

Welcome to the real world.

senecaripple said:
well, dont worry taxpayers! because i work, i pay my taxes, i have insurances for both vehicles, my job provides me with decent health care and workman's comp in the event i am incapacitated, and i have so many days in my bank that i could be out for a whole year before i need to borrow more.
and i am an organ donor as stated in my drivers license. i'm not sure if my organs are any good, doubt hanibal lecther would even want them!

turbodog

Flashaholic

I wonder if he still feels "free".

Prior to the accident, in the wake of Kellen Winslow II's crashing of his motorcycle in May 2005, Roethlisberger had been criticized by various NFL members and the media for his preference for not wearing a helmet while riding. Even Roethlisberger's coach, Bill Cowher, lectured him about motorcycle safety. Former Steeler Terry Bradshaw had warned Roethlisberger, both personally when he visited Steeler training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, and on television, with advice such as "Ride it when you retire."[5] In a segment put together by ESPN following Winslow's accident, Roethlisberger had said he didn't wear a helmet because it was not required by law, adding, "You're just more free when you're out there and there's no helmet on".

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

if you get enough seat belt/helmet ticket's -your license to drive/ride will be revoked - go bye bye.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

markdi said:
A five year old should be in a child safety seat - I did not think we were talking about a child's right to choose.

It should be my choice to use or not to use a seat belt or a helmet.

I use both - but I should not be forced to by agent's of the state I live in who's wallets get fatter if I forget.

That argument applies to anything you want it to and has been in the past. Seat belts, helmets, car brakes (who needs front brakes was the argument then), drinking, other safety features, side of the road to drive on, license, etc, etc.

It is *not* your choice if you want to use the roads that others use.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

car brakes - come on.

my not using a seatbelt/helmet only put's me at risk

not some one else in a different car.

I use seatbelts/helmets whenever possible

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

To some extent, not wearing a belt/helmet puts everyone at risk:

As pointed out, society bears the cost of caring for those who don't care enough about themselves to protect themselves within reason.

A reasonable man would wear a seatbelt or helmet, thus insurance and society should bear the costs associated with accidents where an individual does what he can to protect himself and is still injured. That is what insurance plans are designed for.

However, we have decided that society should also bear the costs of care for those who willingly do something that might endanger their lives or wellbeing, regardless of whether it is lawful; that is plainly against common sense, but we do it anyway.

If you read your health insurance policy or your car insurance policy, I'll bet you find a clause that says something like:

"Medical or property costs incurred by the insured due to an illegal activity or action performed by the insured will not be covered by this policy."

However, I have never seen this clause invoked in 20+ years of dealing with health insurance companies, even though I have had clients and patients who were quite obviously injured because of an illegal act they performed.

Bill