Steven Colbert Testifies @ US Congress

Monocrom

Flashaholic
but in closing.....It's comedy, folks, and somone having the temerity to stay in character at such an auspicious setting is unprecedented.

I agree. That is 100% correct.

Thankfully, other professional comedians know when it's time to take off the big red clown nose.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
{Colbert} having the temerity to stay in character at such an auspicious setting is unprecedented. I cannot think of a parallel.

A few years ago, Colbert gave the address at 'The White House Press Corospondents Dinner,' an anual gala event which then president George W Bush (the younger) and most governmental VIP's attended. Colbert was feet away from Bush while he roasted him, but Colbert remained in character as an ultra-right winger and few / none of those in attendance got the jokes. It was a very tight monologue, jokes with-in jokes, double entendre's, brilliance and daring.

//

Re: Satire - sometimes it can make a very strong point.

re: little wasted $ - Colbert explained Thursday night that all expenses were out of his pocket, though the US congress would provide a glass of water for those speaking before the commitee.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankfully, other professional comedians know when it's time to take off the big red clown nose.

That explains a lot: I think you watched the wrong clip, Colbert was wearing a nice suit but no red nose.

Has he ever worn a red nose? :confused:

Nice suit though. Anyone recall his custom pin-striped hoodie when he faced Republican Senator? He's a well dressed person.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy a good joke even when it mocks my political position, such as the works of the late George Carlin. I don't however find much humor in Steven Colbert's routines. :tired:

Got anything else?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That explains a lot: I think you watched the wrong clip, Colbert was wearing a nice suit but no red nose.

Has he ever worn a red nose? :confused:

Nice suit though. Anyone recall his custom pin-striped hoodie when he faced Republican Senator? He's a well dressed person.

On the off chance you're not being sarcastic, the red nose was not in reference to a literal one.

OCD

Enlightened
Yep... he wasted the time of high ranking political officials, and made EVERYONE look bad in the process. Now they all look like a joke....

1st, I thought it was funny too! You get what you pay for! 2nd, with the way congress has behaved for the last 20 or so years, this didn't make them look like a joke. They've been doing that on their own! This was only the seltzer water to wash off the pie already on their face!

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
He didn't waste anyone's time.
BTW, wasn't he invited by those high ranking officials? They got what they asked for.

And, like smacking someone in the back of the head, this still won't knock any common sense into these 'high ranking' officials. Get out and vote.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath, I guess you were right. This was never posted to be about the serious subject or the political institution, but here I sit, corrected. You may as well lock it, but in closing.....It's comedy, folks, and somone having the temerity to stay in character at such an auspicious setting is unprecedented. I cannot think of a parallel.

I hate to be such a stickler, I mean it was funny to watch, but I'm kind of disappointed in both congress and colbert.

Because thats been working so well thusfar...

Congress hasn't really tried that thus far... They spend most of their time ignoring scientists. Do you remember the endangered species "god committee"? They were a group set up by congress, used to determine whether or not the extinction of the snail darter fish was economically viable. Not only did they find there could be severe environmental repercussions, but also that the whole water project congress was trying to pork barrel that would kill the fish was not economically viable or remotely smart. Congress ignored this team of scientists they assembled because they don't care about anything but getting money, getting votes, and staying in office. (although I think in the end the project was vetoed by the president because of all the bad publicity or something)

So again, I think if they actually listened to scientists, they might do a better job...

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Colbert did a good job. Clever humor and satire can be an effective vehicle for conveying an opinion or concept, and preferable to the WWF style of political discourse that can be found in some venues.

regards,
Steve K.