Stinger Switch

michael word

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering how to take the switch assembly out of the stinger to be able to clean all of the contacts.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite frankly, I wouldn't bother. If you're having problems with the switch on a Stinger, just take it in to a Streamlight warranty station and they'll replace it for you without charge. If you don't have a Streamlight warranty station nearby, you can always send it to Streamlight. After having mine for about 5 years, the boot started to wear through, I took it to my local dealer and they just replaced the entire switch assembly.

michael word said:
I was wondering how to take the switch assembly out of the stinger to be able to clean all of the contacts.

michael word

Newly Enlightened
I am not having problems with it at all but the beam seems to becoming more yellow over the last few months that I have been using it and changing bulbs and batteries do not help so I was hoping that a good cleaning and progold would help make the beam whiter again.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that's odd. The bulbs do tend to get yellow with use, but generally a bulb replacement is all that it takes. If you get a chance (after you get this straightened out,) you might try a Strion bulb in it; it does make the output a bit whiter.

If it is in the switch, you should still take it to a Streamlight dealer and get it replaced. While it's doubtful that the switch would be the cause, it's also unlikely that cleaning the switch is going to help it much.

Don't forget, Streamlight has a lifetime warranty that they actually honor ;)

michael word said:
I am not having problems with it at all but the beam seems to becoming more yellow over the last few months that I have been using it and changing bulbs and batteries do not help so I was hoping that a good cleaning and progold would help make the beam whiter again.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
...you might try a Strion bulb in it; it does make the output a bit whiter.

What kind of life span would you get from putting the Strion bulb in a Stinger?
Does it affect runtime?
If it helps I may put one in my Stinger.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both bulbs are rated for 3.6V batteries, the Stinger bulb is 6W and the Strion bulb is 6.2 W. Haven't really seen a noticable difference in run time, but then I seldom run the battery all the way down intentionally. The bulb life might be shorter (don't really know for sure, I'm still on the first Strion bulb), but I should also note that I don't wait for the bulb to pop before I replace it; I generally replaced the Stinger bulbs when they started to get diminished output (so I really don't know how long a Stinger bulb is going to last either.)

I just know that the output from the Strion bulbs tend to be a bit whiter (don't interpret that to be "white", it's still an incandescent bulb.)

webley445 said:
What kind of life span would you get from putting the Strion bulb in a Stinger?
Does it affect runtime?
If it helps I may put one in my Stinger.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Both bulbs are rated for 3.6V batteries, the Stinger bulb is 6W and the Strion bulb is 6.2 W. Haven't really seen a noticable difference in run time, but then I seldom run the battery all the way down intentionally. The bulb life might be shorter (don't really know for sure, I'm still on the first Strion bulb), but I should also note that I don't wait for the bulb to pop before I replace it; I generally replaced the Stinger bulbs when they started to get diminished output (so I really don't know how long a Stinger bulb is going to last either.)

I just know that the output from the Strion bulbs tend to be a bit whiter (don't interpret that to be "white", it's still an incandescent bulb.)

Does it seem a little brighter to you overall?
Appreciate the input, think I"ll give it a try. Luckily I have a supply store nearby that carries SL so it's just a short drive to retrieve one.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whiter, not necessarily brighter as in more throw.
Actually I probably reduced the throw because I also replaced the original polished reflector with the currently produced textured reflector (not something you need to be concerned with unless you have an old Stinger.)
With the original reflector it may have resulted in a little more throw, though I suspect it would have been negligible.

webley445 said:
Does it seem a little brighter to you overall?

michael word

Newly Enlightened
Thanks I will try the strion bulb and see if that improves it any. I have also just built an ROP, could that just be making my eyes realize how yellow the beam really is?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that could have something to do with it as well. And if you start using LEDs a lot, all incandescents will start to look yellowish. It's all a matter of perspective and try to maintain a proper perspective as well.

michael word said:
Thanks I will try the strion bulb and see if that improves it any. I have also just built an ROP, could that just be making my eyes realize how yellow the beam really is?