Suggest improvements to the NiteCore D10 / EX10 version 2.0 thread

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty happy with everything on this light. Only thing I can think of is maybe a rubber cap over the piston? Current must be going through that button, but more important to me is keeping scuzz and water out of the piston mech.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
My question is, the light must know current level to decide the action for click-click: if current level is user set, then click-click jump to min; if current level is min already, then click-click jump to max.

I believe this is unneeded burden for programming. And this UI only sound intuitive when you are continuously changing mode, once you turned it off, next time you have to guess and test the effect for click-click. What if the user set level is pretty low but not min? User turned light on, saw it is pretty low, then click-click, wow, it become lower; or it just jump to max, surprise!

Current D10 and EX10 always turn on in last mode. So:

click, click - min - turn off - turn on

And you're on min again. Click,click - memorized user level(US) - click,click - min - click, click - US...

click,hold - max - off - on - max

Click,hold - US - click,hold - max - click,hold - US ...

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you think that all lights with one or more levels set by users should't have memory? I can't remember what I set so it should be reset every time when the light is off? It's very very unlikely. I don't think that sobebody would forget it, besides there's no sense to set level very close to min or max.

Last edited:

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
I agree on the idea of memorizing the use set level, but I prefer another UI. Just turn it off and turn it on again to return user set level, that's all.

So you think that all lights with one or more levels set by users should't have memory? I can't remember what I set so it should be reset every time when the light is off? It's very very unlikely. I don't think that sobebody would forget it, besides there's no sense to set level very close to min or max.

Last edited:

liquidsix

Enlightened
So many opinions, so little time to read them!!

I'm the wrong person for an opinion (I haven't gotten my D10t yet) but I have to put in my 2 cents anyways.

I agree with your point about smart ramping.

I also have my own radical opinion for a UI:

1. Instead of going straigh to low, make double click switch between 2 custom modes.

2. to adjust the custom mode that you currently in do a click-hold.

3. To momentarily jump to high just hold down the piston, and when it is released it returns to the mode that it was on.

Well that's what would work for me anyways. Too bad the concept of the USB programmable light died too soon, the EX10 and D10 would have a massive potential for being the end all of light UIs if you could customize how they work.

firephoenix

Newly Enlightened
+1 I think this improvement is the highest priority, other than that I'm satisfied overall, amazing light. No idea what else could ever exceed this.

Edit: If somehow they decide to fix the circuit, it would be great if they offer the module as a separate purchase for us first run customer as an upgrade components.

I think it's sometimes hard to discern what the true max is.
If I ramp it up to 98/100 levels , I may think it's maxed out, but the circuit knows better. Next time I do a ramp, it will naturally try to ramp "up" the last two levels. This in turn, will make it look like its trying to go up in brightness, when it's already maxed out.

How about press and hold to ramp both up and down infinitely until the user decides to stop? Kinda of like a circular loop :

ramp-up ---------->max light -> ramp-down ------>min light ---> ramp-up------->etc... over and over again.

maxray

Newly Enlightened
I will buy a D10 when a (good) pocket clip is on it.

I say a good one, because I lost my beloved L0D yesterday due to the crappy pocket clip.

firephoenix

Newly Enlightened
I think simplest is best:

If I had it my way, the light would work exactly like this:

1.) double click ... Lowest level, double click again...Highest level, repeat
2.) Press and hold Ramp-up--->Ramp-down--->Ramp-up--->repeat until users stops.

Stopping will save the brightness setting. This should "always" be the default brightness when the light is first turned on.

3. Single click to turn off.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think simplest is best:

If I had it my way, the light would work exactly like this:

1.) double click ... Lowest level, double click again...Highest level, repeat
2.) Press and hold Ramp-up--->Ramp-down--->Ramp-up--->repeat until users stops.

Stopping will save the brightness setting. This should "always" be the default brightness when the light is first turned on.

3. Single click to turn off.
I like this idea. I came up with #1 before and others rejected it.

Anyway the current UI is fantastic, but other variations could work just as well. :)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will buy a D10 when a (good) pocket clip is on it.

I say a good one, because I lost my beloved L0D yesterday due to the crappy pocket clip.
I am so excited about the clip 4sevens is going to offer. They look so nice and useful.

I was never a clip guy, but I will make use of those clips to the max. :thumbsup:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion is to add another battery...stick a p7 in there...and drive it up to 400 lumen on the 2xAA...600 on the 2x123. I need light.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion is to add another battery...stick a p7 in there...and drive it up to 400 lumen on the 2xAA...600 on the 2x123. I need light.
That sounds pretty damn great!

I think a 2AA version or 2CR123 version would be awesome.

brucec

Enlightened
Aside from ramping direction, I think the UI is fine as is. But then again, I use mine in momentary/twisty max mode most of the time. In this way, it works exactly like a Surefire P60 light. These really are very nice little lights so my main suggestions would be to fix following physical and QC problems:
1. Redesign bezel o-rings on EX10 for water tightness
2. Stainless bezel ring for D10
3. Lightly crenellated bezel rings
4. Pocket clip and holster
5. Fix sticky piston rings
6. Fix blue lube issues
7. Fix incorrect size o-ring issues
8. Fix offset bezel rings
9. Fix inductor whine
10. Fix curved lettering

I think that's all. Optional battery tubes would also be cool, but I don't know how well a 2xAA piston tube would operate.

manoloco

Enlightened
i know this is not possible with the current mcu, but i think this one would be very useful and comfortable for me:

double click: alternate between max and min
click hold: user setting (programmable and memorized)

memory for last used setting

hold ramp up/down (like its working in current models but without the "bug" that i know is not a bug)

this would keep the light VERY simple and have access to ALL settings very quickly

**edit:
or there could be a little variation:

double click: user setting
click hold: alternate between min and max

i guess its a matter of testing.

Last edited:

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
In momentary mode I would prefer that it not go to maximum brightness if I hold the button for more than .5 sec. I would prefer to change modes to change brightness.

On the ramp up/ ramp down bug change the software so that if it is close to mamimum it will ramp up, pause and then ramp down. This would keep it from appearing to be stuck if the brightness was close to either end.

I have a little trouble getting the press - press and press hold to work consistantly. If I remember right my old Arc4 adjusted to the users push and press durations.

All that being said I love the light. I just ordered a pair of EX10's to go in the cars. Keep up the good work.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I can't comment since I don't own one (per thread rules) but would be more likely to buy one if some of the UI changes - specifically user level memory and a way to toggle between max and user setting, and min and user setting - were implemented. In fact I can guarantee I'd buy one if it worked that way... been sort of thinking of trying one anyway but I'm holding out hope that 47s can source a higher capacity chip to add some extra features since apparently the current one is maxed out and they won't be making any changes until they get a new chip... there are other things I'd like to but will hold off for now... :)

But the D10 and EX10 were not designed to multi mode lights - so perhaps my basic comment is that I would buy a D10 form factor multi mode light - and that as a single mode light they seem to be pretty well conceived as they are...