Suggestions for trip to ground zero/katrina

turbodog

Flashaholic
Well, I'm packed as far as my gear goes. I'm in the process of picking up donated items. Here's about 1/3 of what I have so far. The trailer's loaded with about 2000# of water and another 1000# of clothes, food, diapers, linens, towels, pillows, etc. And, please notice the 55 gallons of gas in the back of my truck.

I go tomorrow to pick up the other 2/3 of the items. Now if I can just find somewhere to load it all.

There's a huge (3-4000 members) church that's the central hub for all non-government relief efforts. I went there today, and it looked like a swat team had landed. They had tractor trailers everywhere. There were golf carts, red traffic cones, pallet jacks, fork lifts, and about 300 people running around.

You called ahead and told them what you needed and for how many people. They would pull your "order" and have it palletized and shrink-wrapped, sitting at the curb. You then drive up, and they load it in your truck with a fork lift. Very impressive operation.

packed1.jpg

packed2.jpg

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog,

I haven't read all of the posts, but all I can add is this:

Hand disinfectant - the stuff that squirts like hand lotion and dries on its own. This is critical before drinking something, smoking a cig, etc.

All of my lights that run on 123s are pretty much useless. My stock of 50 batteries is gone and it doesn't make sense to use batteries that are good for nothing but the flashlights. The light I've used the most is my 4D/5W mag conversion. It runs forever and the batts work in radios and lots of other portable equipment. I don't think that water proofness is an issue because I don't want anything that has fallen into that water anyway. It's like picking an item up out of a toilet.

Bring gloves. Heavy rubber gloves, not the nitril or latex surgical gloves. The thin gloves last all of five minutes before they leak.

I know that you're trying to pack light, but I don't know what they'll be providing you with or where you will be staying. Your eu2000 might come in handy. I've used mine to operate air compressors and get cars with dead batteries running.

I've also gotten a lot of use out of my small chain saw. It's a 16" with a 45cc engine. It's fairly compact and I've been able to clear good size trees with it in 20 minutes or so, with help.

Make sure that you have some bandages and neosporin or other anti bacterial. A little cut could turn into something not so little.

Vick's salve or something to apply under your nostrils. The smell can get pretty bad with the water, what's in the water, and the smell of other people's vomit.

Some of that spray on bandage (I wish I had some of that stuff) or crazy glue to use as a temp bandage. You really don't want to be working in that stuff with an open cut.

Exactly where/when are you going? My wife went back to Houston because her father is having triple by pass surgery tomorrow and he isn't expected to make it. I've done all that I can do here and might go where I can be of some help. Besides, living conditions here are less than desireable and if I'm going to be miserable, I might as well be doing some good too.

I don't know about Mississippi or Alabama, but the devastation in Louisiana is heart wrenching. I've had to sit down and cry more than a couple of times, not just because of my personal loss either.

While driving down, and if you pass a relief station giving out MREs, get a couple of cases. Inspite of relief efforts here, I've found a countless number of people that were unaware of the relief efforts or were unable to get to them. These people needed food and water. I've given out about 10 cases of MREs and lots of water. I don't know what it will be like in Miss. or Ala., it's just what I've seen in La.

Good luck,

turbodog

Flashaholic
Chop said:
turbodog,

I don't know what it will be like in Miss. or Ala., it's just what I've seen in La.

Good luck,

Generally speaking, MS got the worst of it by a long shot.

Do google search on waveland, ms. Then pascagoula, then biloxi, etc...

turbodog

Flashaholic
Ok, here's what I finally came up with.

pelican 1610 case
2 combination locks
cable to lock case to tree/etc
thin rope

cup
gallon ziploc bags
trash bags

thermarest pad
sheet (too hot for sleeping bag)
pillow

shoes
socks
pants
shorts
underwear
t-shirts
wide brimmed hat
bandanna
leather gloves
belt

shaving kit
off
sunscreen
toilet paper
towel
bathcloth
hand soap
sunglasses
baby wipes
vicks

liter nalgene bottle

hds u60
uk 4aa eled w/ lithium aa
a2 w/ spares carrier
extrs set batteries for all lights

dust mask

cell phone w/ car charger

ruger .40 w/ 2 clips

drinking water
camelbak

digital camera

swisstool w/ sheath
roll electrical tape

drivers license
cash
visa card
amex card
business cards

cookies
spaghettios
powdered gatorade

flat repair kit
tire pump
fix a flat

msr stove
1 small msr cookpot

I'm happy to say that this ALL fit in the pelican case except for:
hat
tire pump
fix a flat
gun (it's hidden in truck compartment anyway)
thermarest pad

Got my hep A and tetanus shots today. Nurse was really cute. Am I feeling sick again? *cough cough*

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Take a water filter. CamelBak makes one that fits inside their hydration systems. If not, buy the Seychelle Survivor. (www.seychelle.com) It comes with a 24 oz. bottle with integrated filter, emergency blanket, whistle, and chlorine tablets for REALLY suspect water. I carry one everywhere.

Take some Tabasco sauce or your other favorite condiment. You'll be sick to death of the mass feeding food soon enough. The spices will liven up your meals.

Sunglasses. Your eyes will thank you later.

A couple good pens and waterproof notebook. Permanent marker (Sharpie) or paint markers are also handy.

Pepper Spray. Useful for unfriendly dogs or their equally unfriendly owners.

Solar Shower. Good for holding 5 gallons of clean water and can easily be used for three people per filling.

Insect Net. I think US Cav has a lightweight one that pops up and zips around you. An even better solution is a TentCot. (www.tentcot.com) It will keep you up off the ground and can be set up anywhere.

There is so much more you could possibly bring, but space is always a concern. Good luck, and thank you for going! I know the people there will appreciate it.

RadarGreg

paulr

Flashaholic
Rather than spend a fortune on bottled water and MRE's, I wonder if it would make more sense for those churches to set up a soup kitchen type of operation (maybe even mobile) unless funds are more plentiful than available labor. I found some 100 quart stockpots online here and 50 pound sacks of dry rice or beans are available at places like Costco. I think 50 lb of rice was around 15 bucks, beans a bit more. Together they make protein. Add some vegetables, chili powder, etc., pre-soak the beans and put the pot up on some cinder blocks with a couple of camp stoves under it and you've got dinner for 100 people in a couple hours at maybe 50 cents a person.

turbodog

Flashaholic
paulr said:
Rather than spend a fortune on bottled water and MRE's, I wonder if it would make more sense for those churches to set up a soup kitchen type of operation (maybe even mobile) unless funds are more plentiful than available labor. I found some 100 quart stockpots online here and 50 pound sacks of dry rice or beans are available at places like Costco. I think 50 lb of rice was around 15 bucks, beans a bit more. Together they make protein. Add some vegetables, chili powder, etc., pre-soak the beans and put the pot up on some cinder blocks with a couple of camp stoves under it and you've got dinner for 100 people in a couple hours at maybe 50 cents a person.

They're not using MRE (well except for first day or two). They're cooking actual meals.

Place we're going is cooking about 9000 meals a day and still can't keep up.

The people have no transportation; you must take the meals to them.

turbodog

Flashaholic
RadarGreg said:
Take a water filter. CamelBak makes one that fits inside their hydration systems. If not, buy the Seychelle Survivor. (www.seychelle.com) It comes with a 24 oz. bottle with integrated filter, emergency blanket, whistle, and chlorine tablets for REALLY suspect water. I carry one everywhere.

Sunglasses. Your eyes will thank you later.

Did you see the picture above? :p

Water we got.

I do have a msr filter and a uv sterilization water bottle. But, the water there's so bad I think it's safe to say that it is unfilterable.

Filters are designed for filtering stream or lake water usually. This stuff is not much cleaner than raw sewage. But it's also got a ton of chemicals, oil, and gasoline in it as well. I don't even want to think about what a dead body does to contaminate a water source. yuck

I'm gonna hand out 99.5% of the water I'm taking, but I'm keeping about 10 gallons for myself.

Last edited:

2dim

Enlightened
FWIW, here are my suggestions:

Earplugs, for sure! "World's Finest" [internet] all-natural 34db by far the best. "Bucky" sleep mask [travel store].
Best quality Oregano oil from health food store. Few drops swished in the mouth and swallowed, several times daily, goes a very long way. Also can be applied externally [not eyes or ears] in the nostrils for protection. Excellent stuff!
"Nilodor" [made in Canada] is highly concentrated natural air deodorizer available from some drugstores. Available as drops [tiny bottle] and pump or aeresol sprays. Use sparingly--it's amazingly effective! "Febreze" better for clothing.
Charcoal tablets are helpful for food poisoning, if taken immediately.
Peppermint oil good for nausea and upset stomach/gas.

All the above will take up minimal space. Best wishes, brother!!!

Last edited:

C4LED

Enlightened
You may want to get hold of some of those disposable rain ponchos if possible.

http://www.vellaslockerroom.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=21258!SEVEN&csurl=%2Fistar.asp%3Fa%3D3%26dept%3D10%26class%3D105

lymph

Enlightened
Turbo,

You're great! Thanks for doing this. This is one of the things that makes America great and gives me faith in humanity.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I have made my final collection rounds.

I'll try to get some photos of us before we ship out. We've got a LOT of stuff.

Packing is pretty much over at this point. I leave in 2 hours from now.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I am back.

Where do I start?

On the drive down, we started seeing damage about 20 miles north of Hattiesburg. It was limited to trees and billboards.

Hattiesburg had more damage. More trees down. Wires down. No billboard survived. Shingles gone. Roofs gone or damaged.

We continue on. We still have 90 miles to go.

More driving through mainly rural highway areas. All the trees now point in the same direction. Very strange.

Road sign missings. Overpass signs gone.

We're getting into Pascagoula now. Things look like Hattiesburg except a little worse. More roofs damaged, more trees down. They have power though. Cars are driving around, and gas stations and restaurants are open for the most part. Where is all the damage?

We still have 10 miles to the coastline.

Driving further in now. Tree damage is not much worse, but roof damage is getting worse.

We're at our destination. We're about 1.2 miles from the water. Most all business are closed. The ones that are open have spray-painted signed up informing people of that fact. Power in this area came back on yesterday.

Water is back on, except there's a boil-water notice. That should be lifted by today with a little luck. The water is no longer brown and doesn't smell like sewage.

The water that had not been handed out earlier is starting to go out now. Bottled water is in abundance actually.

The red cross has moved to 2 meals of about 4500 servings each. This has dropped to about 3300 now. It appears people are leaving town and/or have started to get back on their feet.

FEMA is still arriving in stages.

The private sector is doing the real work though. Utility companies are already on their way back home (as far as outot state crews are concerned). Power is back up to everyone that still has a house standing. the streets are sort of clear. At least 1 lane is open to most places.

We worked at this feeding depot some. Trucks needed unloading and loading. Food and supplies needed sorting. The baptists have 3 forklifts there now. They had fuel, but no pump. But we had a barrel pump and were able to fuel their lifts and the refrigeration unit on an 18 wheeler trailer.

Ice is not being handed out quickly enough. Red cross has trailer loads of it. At the rate they're handing it out, 80% will melt before it is used.

Clothes are in an oversupply situation. There are so many clothes there that a LOT of them will be thrown away.

We "borrowed" some pallets of ice and struck out for the coastline.

Things got worse quickly.

Except for a few houses right on the water, most houses were still standing.

I'm working on getting our pictures, and will post them later if possible.

Visualize...

1. Take all your carpet, carpet pad, sheetrock, wall insulation, roof shingles, roof boards, doors, windows, mattesses, possessions, interior doors, appliances, cabinets, lawn mowers, and anything else you have.

2. put it in a blender for 2 minutes on puree

3. add in 100 gallons of mud, dead fish, and sewage

4. blend some more

5. pour it out all over your house, yard, street

It was bad.

People had started "cleaning" up this mess. Basically they were shoveling it to the curb. The city was coming through with an empty 18 wheeler equipped with a crane arm and clamp. They picked up all your crap with very little ceremony or respect and took it to the dump.

Everyone had spray painted their name/NEW phone #, insurance company, etc on the side of their house. If they did not have a house, or if it did not have walls anymore, this information would be on a piece of plywood in the front yard.

There were a lot of dead cars. Water height estimates were 24-28 feet at distances of 3/4 mile from the shore.

I will never forget the smell.

People were appreciative of the water and ice we were handing out, but many did not need any. It seems that they were calling in relatives and friend to help them clean up some. Power/water/gasoline were available again, so if you had money you could start doing whatever you wanted to.

I saw a motel that flooded on the ground floor to 8'. A mold abatement company had arrived. EVERYTHING from the 1st floor was piled at the curb. They had huge dehumidifiers in each room drying everything out.

A local restaurant survived and was serving food. But they had no floor covering and very little interior walls left.

Lots of snakes.

No mosquitoes (yet).

Not what Mississippians would call hot, but very hot for the visiting "rescuers". They called it "incredibly hot".

Lots of people were living in tents in their front yard. A few had gotten an rv to live it. The RVs were not from fema.

By the time we left, the bureaucracy had arrived and was in full effect. At this point, I mean that in a good way. More and better food was arriving. Organized volunteers were arriving by the busload. FEMA/MEMA were actually getting a start on getting a handle on the situation.

If you want to help... I'd say to volunteer at a local shelter. If you don't want to meet the people there you can still help support the shelter anyway. They many need people to run errands, donate money (always popular), or look for local jobs for the refugees.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
We covered pretty much the same ground. I saw pretty much the same stuff but just a week earlier. I was surprised that there were no mosquitos either. Very odd. Slept in the truck for 2 nights. FEMA was nowhere in sight.

Glad to see others willing to help. Good job!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Chris
Hurricane photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieseladdict/sets/895511/