Supreme court gone south.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha, you and I agree with almost everything except computers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That being said I think I don't understand everything you were saying above...

I think the rest of you might want to re-read that PDF as linked to above. I think the judge using the word "detain" was perhaps not the best choice of words. You're not being detained, you're being asked to wait for a few minutes while an officer gives you a flyer with information about a crime that they are trying to get information on. They are specifically not allowed to stop and search you for no reason. Police will always abuse the probable cause thing, but this doesn't give them any more powers in that way. But it does bring them closer to you for no reason. but it's the same as pulling up next to one at an intersection and waving with your middle finger. If the officer gets a look at you and doesn't like what he sees he has probable cause to pull you over. In this new case, if he sees something he doesn't like while giving you the pamphlet he can arrest you there.

But he is still required to arrest you. (unless it's the INS come to look for terrorists in which case you can be held without a trial if they invoke national security, but thats a whole different argument that has absolutely nothing to do with this)

If the police are looking for you, and they think you're on that highway they can already put up a road block to get you. These roadblocks are for asking the folks on their way home if they saw anything yesterday on the highway at the same time when something happened.

I don't see immediately how this will be abused any worse than they system is already abused. THey can already stop and give you a breathalyzer for no reason. They can already stop you if you look crosseyed at them. They can already stop you if your suspension is bottoming out to see what you've got in the trunk. Now they can stop you to ask if you saw a certain car yesterday that was involved in a hit and run.

It is specifically forbidden that they just set up a road block for no reason. To think they will never make up a specific reason is naive, but thats no different than anything else. There is enough crime that they can pick something to stop anywhere, but I can't see anything specifcally in the decision that lets them do anything more than stop you long enough to give you the pamphlet. The court seems to think that the police budget will keep them from doing this very often. I'm not sure that is a decent check for spurious use, but again. I don't see the "detention" of citizens anywhere in the language except from that judge that used it to describe the fact that they are going to screw up traffic. I sat in traffic for an hour and a half for no good reason this morning. No reason for the hold up. If at the end of it they had asked me if I had seen a guy that kidnapped someone or killed someone, it might have made the experience less annoying and not more.

Greta

Flashaholic
gadgetboy... sorry... it wasn't you who made the "dark hole" comment, it was NoShadow...

[ QUOTE ]
Is bliss until it's you sitting in some cold damp hole being held without charges,...

[/ QUOTE ]

And again my apologies for the misquote... "cold damp hole"... not dark deep hole. Sorry... my bad.

Again, I fail to see the similarity in "sitting in some cold damp hole" and being stopped and questioned about a current criminal investigation at a roadblock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The point that you are all missing here is that in order for one of these roadblocks to be set up, probable cause has to be shown to the courts and it has to be approved by a judge... just like search warrants.

As far as asking ANY police officer what constitutes probable cause... again, you obviously don't know anything about me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You really don't have a problem with being presumed innocent until guilty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... no... should I? ????/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif????

[ QUOTE ]
would you change your thoughts on this after a SWAT team invaded your home and dragged your husband away without even a hint of a reason why, where he will be held, for how long, etc?

This is a serious question, as it could very seriously happen now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again... I don't fear this! My local SWAT team has invaded my house many many times... and I've invaded every single one of theirs also! And yes, some people have been dragged away and been held... but we kinda had a guess as to why... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif ... Hell, I've even had DEA and FBI agents invade my house! They're the worst, let me tell ya!

Yes, I'm making light of this because honestly, I am just not seeing the "leap" here. None of you is providing me with documentation that the things you are saying are in fact the way it is right this very minute in time. All I've been shown is a statement that says that by law, I must remain stopped at a police roadblock for as long as the officers choose to keep me stopped... in conjunction with seeking information. THAT does NOT bother or scare me!!

Lux... you may not know why you were stopped. The officers don't have to tell you... but I'm sure it wasn't "for no reason". The correct statement would be "for no reason that was apparant to me". It doesn't have to be apparant to you. BTW... were you detained and then left sitting in some cold dark hole? ... Just taking a survey here. Wondering if this has ever really happened to anyone? From a police checkpoint?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
This thread makes me think that there is hope yet, even though people are trying to brush things under the carpet.

Your husband may be a LEO, Sasha, but not everyone's is. I don't even have a husband. We all know that there is scum even in the hallowed police force, what's stopping them from detaining me because i look like a OMG TERRRIST and may be carrying a nukular bumb? What's stopping them from seeing the pack of CR123A's on my dashboard as i pass through the slums on my way to work, not dressed to the nines, and stopping me for a chat that makes me late and get written up? (Oh, why didn't you get up earlier/buy a suit/buy a better car/whatever because your personal freedoms are being trampled on?)

Cops can mistake their Taser for a gun and put a bullet through the chest of a teenager and get away with a minor slap on the wrist - giving up everything for a Police State is not the answer.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DrJ said:
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
i'm stopped regularly by LEO's here for no reason..

should i assume they're stopping me to question me, in order to aid for an ongoing investigation?

or would baggy clothes and headphones = probable cause?

[/ QUOTE ]
Clean up you act son...I suggest an NYPD sweatshirt, some tighter pants that highlight your crotch size...and of course it's pretty obvious that you need to trade some of those wimp-o-lights for some REAL tactical flashlights....

Also, get some or those orange noise stopper phones they have at the shooting range and put them over your regular headphones you use for playing mp3s...then stick some fire department decals on the sides...and of course if you have long hair...get one of those FBI crime scene jackets and change around the letters to IBF to make it legal to wear, add a couple of small American Flag patches and maybe a pin too, and you're set....

[/ QUOTE ]
*guffaw!*

Drjones

Enlightened
C'mon sasha...you should know I meant "presumed guilty until proven innocent." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry about the typo. I fixed it.

Man...I don't even know how to start to explain why its wrong to exchange liberty for the (very false) promise of temporary safety.

I guess all I can say is that it is totally anathema to everything that this country was founded upon and originally stood for.

Our freedom is what sets us apart from and above the whole rest of the world. If we lose, nay, give that away freely, then we have lost everything.

Greta

Flashaholic
Good Dr... truly... I thought you meant what you typed. I thought it was some kind of trick question... scout's honor!!

For everyone else... you are missing my point!!! I have exchanged no liberities!!! I have lost no freedom!!! I live my life quite happily within the laws of this country! I come and go as I please, I work where and when I want, I buy what I want, I say what I want!! The difference is that I DON'T WANT to do any of the things that would land me in a cold damp hole! Because I don't have any desire to do any of these things, I don't FEAR having my house invaded by a SWAT team in the middle of the night! Don't you all get it that this kind of thing is NOT NOW nor even LATER going to be common practice. Stop living your lives in fear and try just LIVING... it's a hell of a lot better ride... trust me.

Greta

Flashaholic
And another thing... (ok, show of hands who didn't see that coming... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )... there is also a big difference between what cops do and what the law allows them to do. The law is specific. Obviously, there will be abuses of the laws... hell, that happens NOW! You all are upset because of what the cops MAY do. They MAY take a baseball bat to my pickup truck this evening just for shits and giggles... doesn't mean that the law allows it. So again, I say that you're taking a HUGE leap. The law does not allow for what you are describing... you haven't shown me where it does. All you shown me is speculation on how the cops may abuse a law. And that's been going on for longer than any of us have been alive.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me thinks that some people get in trouble even when they aren't breaking any laws by getting so upset at being "hassled by the man!" that they might be compelled somehow to say "BITE ME you imperialist tool I pay your salary!" instead of just "Good evening officer, no I don't know anything about that."

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Uh... ok gadgetboy... that's just a little bit different than being thrown into a deep dark hole or taken into custody as was implied with your statement. Being stopped at a roadblock and being questioned to help with a current criminal investigation is hardly the same thing. And it's hardly without probable cause. They are seeking information concerning a current criminal investigation. The probable cause is that you may know something that could help them. They can't just set up a roadblock on a whim. They have to show probable cause to the COURTS in order to set up these roadblocks and question citizens.

Again... HUGE leap!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And yesterdays SCOTUS decision was a huge leap from the civil rights we had even 20 years ago. Almost every LEO acadamey accross the US will encourage their officer to lie in order to obtain information (reconcille that with "to serve with honor"). Abuse of police power is more common than not.

Here you are at a roadblock...
Officer: Execuse me sir/mam we just had a crime around the corner where somone was seen putting things in the trunk of their car, and they dropped a library card, could you please step out of your car, open your trunk, and ID yourself for me.

You will notice that the above scenerio doesn't end with a question mark, because now it (albeit with courtesy) is a demand, not a request.

This discussion however was begun not as police action debate, but rather a freedom rights violation by the SCOTUS. Sasha stated that our laws must "grow up with the country", and you are right. The authors of our constitution knew this, but they also knew that it should never be at the expense of our freedom, or basic human rights.

Again it is not my intent to cause a bad reflection on the police officers, and how they inforce the laws. I work with them, and I think they have a tough job to do, but I also see how it is done. Yet the BOR says it is not only our right to prevent the errosion of liberty, but in fact our duty to do it. Even at the expense of a $40,000 dollar pool in the back yard, and a $40,000 dollar SUV in the front.

Rosevelt said "We'll put a chicken in every pot", what he didn't say was while everyone was staring at the chicken, or in line to get theirs, we'll be taking things out the back door!

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
......... Hopefully, public opinion will always play the least role in their decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean this? If so, because the public is incapable of knowing what is best for themselves? I don't know if I consider the public that savvy but there was that "For the people, by the people" as I recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed I did mean it. In fact, the qualifier I used, "least", might even indicate a greater role for public opinion than hoped for.

That "for the people, by the people" is still alive a kicking. The foundation of our government grants a sort of absolute control over government activity and legislation, although the process is slow. I use the term "sort of absolute control", because there are some deliberate built-in impediments to absolute democratic resolution. We might think mostly of such documents as the constitution and the bill of rights as a document restricting or granting governmental activity. In reality, they also restrict or grant control by the public majority. The ability of the people to place ones of their choosing into periodical positions of power, and the ability to address abuses by those people, either through the election process or through other legal channels provided, permits a majority such an absolute control. The problem with such a system is that the majority will act in their own best interest, leaving the minority with less rights, less opportunities and less equal protection under the law.

So, what to do regarding such a flaw in the democratic process? You do as the founders did; you build checks and balances into the system, with a measure of control that can't be controlled by public opinion. One check is the constitution. It protects the minority and individuals from the majority, yet can be altered with great difficulty. As has happened before, when the need is sufficient it can be changed, but it won't be overnight. By itself though, it's nothing. Someone with greater power must be permitted to interpret it without fear of the power of the majority to influence the decision. That function of course falls to the courts. Lower courts of course can be reviewed by higher, until it reaches the Supreme Court. By then, and even there, it's not simply a matter of the justices sitting down and discussing it amongst themselves. The truly affected parties get to argue their case. The final decision is based on whatever arguments have been made, wording of the law, it's effect, ramifications, and the collective opinions of the justices. Since they're making a decision on what has previously been enacted by majority opinion through the public's elected representative, the courts are simply holding the majority to a decision they've already made. They shouldn't use the public's fickle preferences to decide what the public meant at the time a law was enacted.

The public does have recourse when an unpopular decision is made. It's not by appalling to the courts. That's a waste of time, and contrary to the function of the court. Alteration of whatever laws are involved or enactment of new laws favoring the public opinion can be made by the public's elected representatives. There is the direction for the public to turn their attention. Turning their attention and efforts toward trying to sway a court system is contrary to checks and balances we so highly prize, and a waste of time.

Basically, the court holds you to previous agreement; present public opinion has no bearing on that. Legislation reflects the public's present and future opinion; public opinion does have a bearing on that. Effort targeted toward the proper branch is fruitful. Effort targeted toward the branch that can only interpret, is a waste of time. Waiting for the Supreme Court to alter a decision is a job for the very patient.

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Almost every LEO acadamey accross the US will encourage their officer to lie in order to obtain information

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... again... what is your source for that? And to be honest... LEO's have been lieing to obtain information.. again, for more years than any of us have been alive. If you have nothing to hide, then what difference does it make if they are lieing or not? I just don't understand that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Officer: Execuse me sir/mam we just had a crime around the corner where somone was seen putting things in the trunk of their car, and they dropped a library card, could you please step out of your car, open your trunk, and ID yourself for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok... now see... this is the biggest difference between you and I. I have no problem with complying with this "request". I'm doing nothing wrong. And why should I waste these officer's time by being a butthead and screaming about my rights. It takes less time for me to get out my wallet, show my ID, open my trunk and then move along my merry way... "with pleasure, Officer... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif" . I just don't understand why you look at any kind of cooperation with law enforcement as an infringement upon your civil rights. It really isn't. Really. Really-really.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Me thinks that some people get in trouble even when they aren't breaking any laws by getting so upset at being "hassled by the man!" that they might be compelled somehow to say "BITE ME you imperialist tool I pay your salary!" instead of just "Good evening officer, no I don't know anything about that."

[/ QUOTE ]
well.. in my experience.. it's more like
A). Blue lights catch my eye, i turn and am blinded by the officers blues
B). i get lit up by a spot of light, turn and i'm staring into a vehicle mounted spotlight
C). "stop walking" plays out over the intercom..

Officer (with fed up/suspicious look on face): Where are you going?
BBTL: I'm taking a walk sir.
Officer: Taking a walk where?
BBTL: Just in a circle around the neighborhood and back home.
Officer (with attitude): @ midnight?
BBTL: Yessir. I'm a night person I guess.
Officer: I see.
BBTL: Can I continue walking now?
Officer: Sure.
(officer gets back in vehicle and sits and watches me 'til i'm officially out of sight)
(i walk away and mumble "your flashlight sucks" under my breath)

just playing about the last part.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

but i fail to see the probable cause in that.. and i feel to see how him backing me into a pointless small-talk is NOT being "detained"..
i've seen ppl try to walk away and get in trouble for it..
small-talk = being detained. it's a TACTIC.

like i said earlier.. there are 3 local officers that i like, and the rest are terrible @ their job..

i didn't like LEO's in general 'til i met ppl like Sasha's hubby and other LEO's on CPF..

but that was me being bias from my experience with my local precints.. it's not something i carried as a grudge everytime an officer was in my presence tho.. it's just skepticism for the most part..

but my opinions aren't always valid due to the fact i've only had 19 years of experience on this Earth.. i'm sure my views will change in time, as soon as the number of good cops i know outnumbers the bad cops..

Edit:
or maybe i just got severely off-topic.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Bravo25 said:
Rosevelt said "We'll put a chicken in every pot.....

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Herbert Hoover that said "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage". Lucky for you; a couple of generations back you'd literaly had your lights put out for that attribution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
[ QUOTE ]
Bravo25 said:
Rosevelt said "We'll put a chicken in every pot.....

[/ QUOTE ]

That was Herbert Hoover that said "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage". Lucky for you; a couple of generations back you'd literaly had your lights put out for that attribution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think some of you are completely missing the point of this thread.

This is not about these actual decisions and laws and what they mean specifically. Of course you are still safe and the LEO round the corner won't arrest you for your nose, and Sasha is still right in having confidence in the US laws and LEOs. Today.

This is about the general direction of the US legislation and law enforcement. How far will this process of rights being taken away go? Where and when will it stop? Who will make the decisions? Who will have the power to do so? Who will be in command then? In the legislation and jusrisdiction? And most important ... what will the goals be by then? How will the interpretation of legislation change by then?

Bottom line is ... it might still be ok now, but how will it be for your children and grandchildren? From this perspective, you should be concerned. Always.

bernhard

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I just don't see a problem here. Being in the legal system for years I've seen every complaint and this one doesn't have good legs.

Either a method is useful or it's not. If it's useful in this case it's because it's handled correctly. Handled improperly it will generate resentment and complaints that will kill the practice.

Do it wrong and it gets stopped. Do it right and it genberates useful information that provides better security across the board.

In my opinion this is self limiting and won't cause a problem. Again, I don't see a problem with this.

Al

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Almost every LEO acadamey accross the US will encourage their officer to lie in order to obtain information

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... again... what is your source for that? And to be honest... LEO's have been lieing to obtain information.. again, for more years than any of us have been alive. If you have nothing to hide, then what difference does it make if they are lieing or not? I just don't understand that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok... now see... this is the biggest difference between you and I. I have no problem with complying with this "request". I'm doing nothing wrong. And why should I waste these officer's time by being a butthead and screaming about my rights. It takes less time for me to get out my wallet, show my ID, open my trunk and then move along my merry way... "with pleasure, Officer... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif" . I just don't understand why you look at any kind of cooperation with law enforcement as an infringement upon your civil rights. It really isn't. Really. Really-really.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lie to a LEO you are subject to arrest for providing false information, and yet they are encouraged to lie to obatain information. Kind of turns things inot a police state huh? I mean the double standard, and no accountability, and all. I work with them, and I know how this goes. If you live with one you do too, and that is not a dispurgement on your partner, just the system.

You really don't see anything wrong with being stopped to "database information"? Does Nazi Germany, or Communist Russia ring a bell. Then you go on to say that I am being a butthead because I feel it is my duty to ensure that my freedoms are intact, and remain that way...we'll I'll just consider it being a patriot. And I have no problem cooperating with the police in a random situation. As long as it is a request, and not a demand. See THAT is exactly where the problem is. It is no longer a request, it is a demand. Even though I have done nothing wrong, and yes I have a real problem with that!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think the ruling not only invites abuse, but was tailored in a manner that encourages it. It seems to construct a situation to warrant more probable cause searches by putting more of the general public into contact with law enforcement and under their direct scrutiny. There are plenty less intrusive ways to get crime information to commuters (like message boards and "tune to" radio frequency notifications) without inconveniencing them or opening them up to misinterpretation of their private activities, plain blatant abuse and/or possible arrest or detainment, hell, I don't even own a car so it wouldn't affect me but I can tell when something smacks of authoritarian license. All I can say is if it were up for public referenda (which I think most constitutional legislation should be) I'd vote against it.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif