Surefire Backup

ryanv

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm. I've only read this post of this thread, but I'm concerned that you'll not be happy if you're comparing the L4 to the E1B. The only things those lights have in common is that 1) they're made my SF and 2) they take a CR123 cell.

-- L4 = a flood, wall of light.
-- E1B = a very much narrower beam, that throws much further.

I understand, I am looking for something with a more directed beam. Believe me though, i love the L4 and the flood of it, i just wish it threw a bit more.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF ryanv. I think you will be extremely happy with your E1B. It is going to give you the extra throw you are looking for. Between the L4 and the E1B, you have the best of both worlds. Hang on to your wallet, and have a good time while your here. If you've got a light related question....This is definitely the place to find the answer:thumbsup:

I understand, I am looking for something with a more directed beam. Believe me though, i love the L4 and the flood of it, i just wish it threw a bit more.

Last edited:

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Just recieved my E1B today, first impressions.

Good things:
Size is perfect in my hand
80L/5L
Nice throw
I like the clip

Bad things:
The smoothness... I exchanged the clickie with a SF twisty z52, much better. And I dont like clickies... dont trust them.
Just one O-ring when SF shows two of them on their website.

Overall:
3 stars out of five, a few things that I dont like but its a nice light. It will be my new EDC.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Bad things:
Just one O-ring when SF shows two of them on their website.
No SureFire E-Series model has ever had double o-rings [on the TailCap-end of the body].

SureFire's webpage for the E1B here does not state that it has double o-rings (unless I'm missing it somewhere)

Their more flashy page for the E1B here does indeed show a photo of a segment of a double o-ringed body. It's not an E1B though. It's the wrong anodised colour, wrong dimensions. Possibly a photo of an M3 or perhaps an MH90.
The description does not mention double o-rings. The same image segment is also used for the other models featured on that flashy site.

The E1B doesn't need double o-rings anyway. They are only really required for divelights that could have the components rotated underwater.
One could argue that double o-rings stiffen up the ability to rotate the TailCap - useful in some situations I guess.

I'm sorry that SureFire's poor use of images (in the attempt to be helpful and show off the features of the flashlight) resulted in you having this expectation. Perhaps you'd like to contact SureFire and let them know how you feel?

Al

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
No SureFire E-Series model has ever had double o-rings [on the TailCap-end of the body].

SureFire's webpage for the E1B here does not state that it has double o-rings (unless I'm missing it somewhere)

Their more flashy page for the E1B here does indeed show a photo of a segment of a double o-ringed body. It's not an E1B though. It's the wrong anodised colour, wrong dimensions. Possibly a photo of an M3 or perhaps an MH90.
The description does not mention double o-rings. The same image segment is also used for the other models featured on that flashy site.

The E1B doesn't need double o-rings anyway. They are only really required for divelights that could have the components rotated underwater.
One could argue that double o-rings stiffen up the ability to rotate the TailCap - useful in some situations I guess.

I'm sorry that SureFire's poor use of images (in the attempt to be helpful and show off the features of the flashlight) resulted in you having this expectation. Perhaps you'd like to contact SureFire and let them know how you feel?

Al

Yeah I noticed that the colour was wrong, and you are right that SF doesnt say that it has double, but since they use a rather advanced (skillfully) presentation of the E1B and other lights I was hoping the picture also would be accurate.

One other thing I noticed was that internally the E1B clickie doesnt have an O-ring that I could see, but the z52 has. Tru that double O-rings does stiffen up things, I kinda like it.

I am not really sure SF would care much about my opinion, otherwise I would have done so in an instance. :)

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I am not really sure SF would care much about my opinion, otherwise I would have done so in an instance. :)
Go on! Send them an email.
You saw a photo of double o-rings 'helping' to explain the features of the E1B on their very own website. It was an influencing factor in your decision to purchase an E1B. You were disappointed that the E1B does not actually feature double o-rings and hope that letting SureFire know that they can replace the photo with a more representative photo, lets push the boat out and say how about a photo of the actual product.

Al

ryanv

Newly Enlightened
update: I love the e1b. its small and powerful, what more could you want? Its sure not the beam of an L4, but it throws a lot further. I will be keeping both the flashlights. I found myself this weekend carrying both of them......