Surefire - CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

roksx

Newly Enlightened
So how long ago did you request the tailcap ?
Oct 12 2007
Feb 17 2008
June 19 2008

I had other stuff on my mind so it probably could have gone faster, but the annoying thing is that each time they mailed me saying that a tailcap was on it's way. That's why I would wait a while and forget.
I'm very happy that I finally got a replacement though, just a little disappointed that the color is off, much darker then my L2.

BBL

Enlightened
No.
I expect the CEO to be interested in feedback like this and to (excuse the americanism) "Kick ***" to make sure the support is in place.

What do you expect the CEO to do???????
Keep the company running... keeping track of the departments, strategy. communicating with key-customers, partners and suppliers. Not drinking coffee all day long and waiting for some pissed consumer to vent at his personal email address...

Wick

Newly Enlightened
As this is also not one of their cheapest lights, I do NOT expect to be told "it's been dinked - tough ****" - I have paid a LOT for this unit and I expect a degree of back up reflecting this.

They do back up their product. If the unit was broken, Surefire would have fixed or replaced it. Having a "ding" in your light, which you caused, certainly doesn't constitute a broken U2. Your U2 has a cosmetic flaw, it operates just fine. In my experience Surefire has always gone out of their way to make customers happy to the point of exchanging LED lights because someone did not like the tint of their light, pretty generous in my opinion.

Surefire chose to design the U2 in a particular manner which does not allow piecemeal replacement of the bezel components. As mentioned earlier, its an integral unit which is not meant to be disassembled by the end user. Like it or not, that is the design. Considering the way I have treated some of their lights over the years, I think their engineering department is doing a pretty good job.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify...you were contacting Customer Support in regards to a couple of dings and scratches in the anodising? :confused:

Nothing was actually "broken" or damaged in such a way that it affected your use of the light?

Regards,
Tempest

looman

Enlightened
They do back up their product. If the unit was broken, Surefire would have fixed or replaced it. Having a "ding" in your light, which you caused, certainly doesn't constitute a broken U2. Your U2 has a cosmetic flaw, it operates just fine. In my experience Surefire has always gone out of their way to make customers happy to the point of exchanging LED lights because someone did not like the tint of their light, pretty generous in my opinion.

Surefire chose to design the U2 in a particular manner which does not allow piecemeal replacement of the bezel components. As mentioned earlier, its an integral unit which is not meant to be disassembled by the end user. Like it or not, that is the design. Considering the way I have treated some of their lights over the years, I think their engineering department is doing a pretty good job.

Now apply this to any other product you buy from watches to motor cars. I am sure you would not accept this in all your personal goods.

However, you are happy with this. I am not.

looman

Enlightened
Just to clarify...you were contacting Customer Support in regards to a couple of dings and scratches in the anodising? :confused:

Nothing was actually "broken" or damaged in such a way that it affected your use of the light?

Regards,
Tempest

Correct. I never said it was broken. I lent it to a friend who dropped it and it got cosmetically damaged.

My other 2 lights have been dropped too and not suffered as much damage and also run perfectly. And I can get replacement parts without problem.

I have simply learnt to assess the product I am buying. And I have chosen not to use surefire again.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Yep and the break down in communication came whilst it trying to determine whether it was possible to replace certain components of the Lamp Module.
I get the impression that from SureFire's perspective it was like "Nothing is replaceable on the unit, and it isn't broken, we don't understand what the issue is."

Seems to me that CPF has an important place helping people understand flashlight products and flashlight company culture and ways of working.
In doing so expectations can be more appropriately set so as to minimise disappointment and upset.
CPF members can also save the need for an international phone call, or help users make best use of the time and money spent communicating.

Al

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
Looman,

The KL3 bezel is yours for free if you are going to keep the light like you should do, its a great piece of kit. A buyer would be unhappy with parts swapped from one model to another, I know I would.

Pm me you address and its in the post no need for any money.

I presume you can't have an origional bezel because they are produced in batches for assembly in to complete heads and as a bezel has never failed before SF do not produce over runs to hold spares for waranty issues. (or they mis understood your request, you could try calling again before contacting CEO's)

Dan

greenLED

Flashaholic
...from SureFire's perspective it was like "Nothing is replaceable on the unit, and it isn't broken, we don't understand what the issue is."

Seems to me that CPF has an important place helping people understand flashlight products and flashlight company culture and ways of working.
In doing so expectations can be more appropriately set so as to minimise disappointment and upset.
I've also seen CPF "helping" raise unreasonable expectations regarding certain products. I went through exactly the same process with my (many) U2's, until I realized my expectations towards that light were unreasonable (based on the over-hype at the time of the U2's release). Once I got past that, it was smooth sailing and less headaches for me.

Niconical

Enlightened
If you feel the employees at Surefire have treated you badly and let you down, then fair enough, but has the light failed your expectations in any way? It did after all, as you put it, "survive brilliantly".

If for any reason you don't like the people at Surefire, or the way they work, then that's fine, but by no longer using a Surefire it's only yourself you're hurting.

looman

Enlightened

Well I consider having a dink in the body to be slightly more critial than a tint in LED colour. But it doesant really matter now. Other lights I use have also had a much harder life than the U2 ever had and they are in better nick and could probably be easier to repair than the U2. But then.............they aint anywhere near as expensive as the U2.

looman

Enlightened
Looman,

The KL3 bezel is yours for free if you are going to keep the light like you should do, its a great piece of kit. A buyer would be unhappy with parts swapped from one model to another, I know I would.

Pm me you address and its in the post no need for any money.

I presume you can't have an origional bezel because they are produced in batches for assembly in to complete heads and as a bezel has never failed before SF do not produce over runs to hold spares for waranty issues. (or they mis understood your request, you could try calling again before contacting CEO's)

Dan

Dan - thanks - thank is a really kind offer. But as I have already said, I am selling the U2 as to be frank I went in at the deep end and the U2 was the first torch I bought. It is great kit I agree but it doesnt do the job I want that is why I have got 2 others that get used and the U2 sits at home when there is work to be done.

As I am selling it, I would feel really cheeky taking this off your hands for nowt and beleive me - it is going.

As for the issue of wether they do individual components or modules - well their choice but my request was perfectly clear and the reason and what I wanted could not have been misunderstood unless you were a complete moron.

My experience of SF to date is poor and as I have said, I choose not to do business with them. If others wish to then I really dont have a problem with it but it does allow easy ground to be gained from their many competitors.

I also do a lot of shooting and one of the disciplines is air rifle - PCP's to be precise and these are quite expensive and complex bits of kit. The manufacturers in the UK didnt leave 200 yrs ago and if you have a problem it is generally sorted PDQ - especially by a couple of the leading companies such as Daystate. I fail to see why SF feel they dont need to do this or consider ignoring contacts and taking weeks/months to sort out minor poop is acceptable.

If it is OK, I will pass your kind offer on to the new owner (whomsoever that should be) but let me know as if it is not ok I will not prejudice your position.

Again - I really do thank you for your offer but the U2 is going to a new home and SF can stick where the torch might still shine LOL. However, the notch on the edge of the bezel may scratch going in LOL :)))))

Thanks - appreciated.

Last edited:

looman

Enlightened
If you feel the employees at Surefire have treated you badly and let you down, then fair enough, but has the light failed your expectations in any way? It did after all, as you put it, "survive brilliantly".

If for any reason you don't like the people at Surefire, or the way they work, then that's fine, but by no longer using a Surefire it's only yourself you're hurting.

I am prepared to suffer mate........................

I have never had an issue with the kit. It's the back up that sucks (as far as I am concerned). Peeps will make their own minds up.

I will not be loosing any sleep by not having a SF in my line up as the other 2 units I use have had more use, in more demanding environments and have faired better than the U2 hitting tarmac in terms of a drop hazard.

Last edited:

looman

Enlightened
SureFire is by far, the largest supplier of flashlight, weapon lights, weapon supressors and other tactical gear for the Military and LEO markets in the world. Therefore, I can safely say that SureFire IS the equivalent of Microsoft in terms of size/budget. May I remind you that the demand for such products within the United States Military really is something to consider. That's not even counting the LEO markets and the Anti-Terrorist units all over the world. Having said that, I think SF has a tad bit more revelant customers to help out than a couple of spoiled CPFers bitching about bad tints and donut holes.

As a matter of interest,. wondering if you have found any interesting MS V's SF figures yet such as Number of employees, Turnover, Gross Profit figures yet.

Very willing to eat humble pie and apologise ?

Just wondering !!!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've also seen CPF "helping" raise unreasonable expectations regarding certain products. I went through exactly the same process with my (many) U2's, until I realized my expectations towards that light were unreasonable (based on the over-hype at the time of the U2's release). Once I got past that, it was smooth sailing and less headaches for me.
This is a natural consequence of an enthusiastic fan community. All part of the fun...

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
By all means pass the offer on. I just did not want you to sell it to someone and not tell them. For a component to fail in the head, them send it off to SF and be told the waranty is void because it is made of non stock components.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.