Surefire E1E

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1E:

I got to see one recently at a gunshop, and its tiny and cute.

However, after looking at Surefire website it seems the bulb assembly does not come with the reflector. Is this true?

Furthermore, there isn't any spare reflectors easily found on the Surefire website should the original get damaged.

Where would one order an extra reflector should the original ever get damaged?

So, the output is 15 lumens for 90 minutes. Those of you that have this model, how flat is the output curve? At the 60-90 minute range, is it producing so few lumens that the light is barely useable? Or is it producing respectable light for 90 minutes?

If it starts at 15 lumens and is unregulated, I wonder how long it maintains decent brightness?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector portion of the head is permanently afixed, it is a part of the head; however, replacement heads can be had and are not that expensive.

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about how much output at 60-90 minutes? Still usable light?

Would people recommend this model?

BTW, I'm turned off by the 1-watt LED conversion heads. My KL3s (on the 6Ps) all have terrible LED tint, and relatively mediocre beam quality (for a Surefire). I think I'd use the E1E is an incandescent.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1e is pretty much useless, to me anyway. I think the rated lumen rating on a fresh battery is like 15. That's with a frest battery too. It starts to dim pretty quickly too.

If you're turned off by the KL1, you haven't seen one that was more recently manufactured. They come with high dome emitters and the color has been improved, for the most part. Besides, the stock KL1 actually puts out more light than the E1e incandescent bulb and it's regulated. It won't dim as the batt drains.

As for the KL3, they are pretty sickly in stock form and I haven't seen any come stock with a high dome. The KL3 in its stock form doesn't even begin to approach what they are capable of. I guess that's why so many have them modded. The KL3 can easily become a 100+ yard light.

You could also mod the stock E1e head with an ecan/esink pill and turn it into an LED light, to keep the small size. You'll get regulated light and a nice flood beam that has a hotspot for a bit of throw.

ugrey

Enlightened
I have an E1 and an ARC LSH-P. I only only carry them during the day, or as backup to a bigger, brighter light. My ARC AAA or Dorcy AAA take care of most tasks. I tend not to use the medium size/brightness lights much anymore. If I want a light, I want a bright one. For EDC I now carry a Surefire G2. An E2e would be not much more bulk than an E1e and a heck of a lot more light. A Nuwai 3 watt looks very interesting at 3.7 inches by 1.1 inch head and about 40 lumens for about 1 hour 40 minutes. Cost is $50. I hope some of this helps.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yours truly the dumba55 decided to wipe his E1e's reflector... now I get to stare at the horribly artifacted beam. Is there any way I can rescue the reflector or is it a writeoff? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I figure that since you have to bore a 13/23" hole (1.435cm in metric if I'm not wrong - where I am they all use metric bits), most of the reflector will be gone.

Where can I get the flat eSink for a high dome? The Sandwich Shoppe only has the side emitter eSink with the recess.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the wiped reflector, get in touch with jcciv. He might be able to get you a replacement head for a very reasonable price.

On modding the E1e, you use a 13/32 drill to bore it out. Most of the reflector will be gone, but it works very well. I (and many others) have done quite a few of these. Trust me, it works.

As for the heatsink, you could just take the esink and fill the hole with AA epoxy. I don't think you'll have any thermal issues. For my mods, I just machined flat heatsinks.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick reply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I get all my SF parts from jcciv, maybe I'll think about a new reflector if I want to give it a shot.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I too, think that the E1e is practically useless, but I do love the E1 with the KL1 head. I don't think I'll ever use the stock E1e, but I do carry the E1 with KL1 every day, in a carry-all bag that also holds a plain E2. I use the E1 with KL1 for close-up work or for color rendition, and the E2 when I need "reach" (throw).

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I have an E1e. I like it. It's a typical, quality SureFire product.

That being said, I rarely use it anymore. My E2e throws so much more light (compared to the E1e) that I can put up with the larger size in my shirt pocket.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF i may hijack for a moment, what E1e/LED head and or modded head is a good pairing? I love my E2d, but want a led that would work well with both. I did figure after owning the 2d i would not have a need for a E1e but, it's too cute to not buy. and If i can start a nice parts setup for both all the better. throw is my thing so any opinion's
on add-on's let me know some fav's.VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1 is a must-have for any serious E1e owner, however with the stock NX05 optic, you'll be expecting an NX05 beam, of course. IMHO it's more of a flood for close-range work. It is compatible with the E2D as well - more runtime on 2 cells.

As for throw, ahh.. that's where you need a MODDED KL1, and Chop/CM are authoritative in that department. Something about reflectors and higher drive current.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, you could modify a KL1 and it'll give an E2e a run for its money. Even from an E1e body. I have one incand light. That's an M3 with the HO lamp. All other lights are LED. The performance is there and I can't remember the last time I bought a lamp assembly.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my E1e and I love the KL1 that is fitted on the E1e. My KL1 is the high domed version and is pretty white. I have thought of getting it modded but decided not. I have seen how a friend's modded KL1 go loose after he dropped it, and how it failed to work. Surefire will honor their warranty when it comes originally but what about a modded piece? Who is going to warranty that modded piece? Doesn't sound very logical to me. My apologies to all CPFer's who offer modding services here.

Craig720

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Would people recommend this model?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I recommend it. The E1e is one of my EDC lights. I carry it on my belt in a Victorinox nylon pouch. You can't beat it for size and throw.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same. It doesn't feel out of place even in a shirt and tie, too - had to dress up today.

An addition to my earlier comments, if you're into throw, check out the new KL1.. throw king (as SF LEDs go) indeed.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjandyho,

I hope that KL1 wasn't one of mine. If it was, it should have been sent back to me. Dropping a KL1 should not make it stop working.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying that the stock E1e was useless to me. The fact of the matter is that the incand E1e's output is sickly, especially on a battery that isn't fresh. I'd just have to go with either modding the E1e head with a luxeon conversion, or go with a KL1.

As for the new KL1, I'll bet that it can't touch the performance of a modded old style.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tony,

No worries. Definitely not from you and I am not going to disclose the modder either.

I have heard from some that you do a fantastic and neat job modding lights but I just don't feel comfortable yet. It is so very difficult to acquire a KL1 here in Singapore and unless I can find another piece, I am not taking any chances now. Things might go wrong even in postage.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjandyho,

I'd hate to think that you are living with what you have for fear of what might happen. I've sent many things to Singapore, without problems.

On the other hand, I recently posted in the BST forum to find a KL1 for a customer that is in your part of the world and got a pretty quick respose. If you want to do that, you could have the KL1 shipped straight to me.

As for the work, I accept full responsibility for all of my mods. If I break it, I replace it.