Surefire E3e?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It certainly sounds and looks like a UBH. It appears to have much nicer anodizing than mine, which is so light it's almost clear. Nice piece.

Thank you, yes this is quite a nice one. The anodizing is rich and dark, done very well and it's in mint shape. And the knurling is also great. I've heard the quality on the UBH sets was hit and miss. Maybe certain runs were better than others. Once in awhile I luck out I guess.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think key to phasing out incandescents altogther will be the ability to use 'solid state' (LED) solutions to replicate the advantages incandescents still have over the current so-called "white" light LEDs.
Without wanting to get into a debate about this (it's covered elsewhere) SureFire users still use incandescents for colour-rendition, especially under certain atmospheric conditions (smoke, dust, fog etc), and to be able to transition from IR to white light by the flick-open of a BeamFilter.
Once LEDs can be tuned to produce the exact spread of frequencies desired at the push of a button or twist of a dial then I think that SureFire will consider phasing out their incandescent models.
Imagine an LED that can be producing full[er] spectrum white light one moment and at the twist of a dial on the flashlight be producing IR light, and with a further twist be producing blue light (etc). Now that would be a Kroma!

I too can't wait for near 100-CRI LEDs. For the reason of color rendition, I recently picked up a new SF G3 incan and am loving it! After using the G3 out on a few night hikes, it's hard to look at the "white" of my SureFire LED lights anymore :( (even my beloved E1B :eek:). No new incans from SureFire makes me kinda said.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I use LED lights for extended periods of time, the output really starts to annoy me. I'm not sure which is worse, the grim ghostliness of it or the light reflected back at you as blue light tends to do.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You so want to have light reflected back at you, this is why you use a flashlight, it makes your eyes see.
As to the blue hue ... depends on the tint and LED used as well as on the power. Enough horsepower in a LED light eliminates tint issues IMHO.
bernie

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You so want to have light reflected back at you, this is why you use a flashlight, it makes your eyes see.
As to the blue hue ... depends on the tint and LED used as well as on the power. Enough horsepower in a LED light eliminates tint issues IMHO.
bernie

Exactly, you need more horsepower to achieve similar (trying to say that with a straight face) results which leads to more reflection. The reason DOT and other drivers don't like blue headlights is because of the extra glare. And blue light tends to diffuse and reflect back in the atmosphere, that's why you don't see any blue fog lights. The glare and 2 dimensional view really starts to bother me after awhile.