SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
Got my EDC1-DFT today. Pretty cool light. No complaints yet. :) Good size. Low is really bright. Nice serial number. Love the wider than body tailcap! Throw is incredible! Waiting for dark.

Edit: I noticed that if I run it with a Surefire SF123 primary for more than a few minutes I can no longer switch to low mode. Or it may take several tries. If I put the 18350 back in then it works normally again. Strange.

View attachment 56178View attachment 56269

How does the throw and spill compare to the Fury? Big difference?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting to see there's a difference between the EDC1 and EDC2 heads on the positive terminal from looking at Sean's photo of his EDC1 on the previous page.

The EDC2 has a spring loaded plate that's about level with the battery bumper. It doesn't have much travel in it.
The EDC1 looks like it has more of a protrusion and travel on the terminal. The terminal generally looks different also.

Here's what my EDC2 looks like:

IMG_5635.jpeg

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if SF started using white O-rings or if scammers started selling counterfeits?

Forging a logo on a printed circuit board near a diode is no longer a problem

Attachments

• Fake 1.jpg
    Fake 1.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 124
  • Fake 2.jpg
    Fake 2.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 121

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
That scout light doesn't look quite right to me. I didn't get the best look from those picture though.
Confirmed fake?

tango44

Enlightened
Funny how people won't accept that Surefire had problems and design issues with these lights and immediately will say that these are fake!
No! No! No! SF makes us wait for two years and gives us a crappy light!
Is that hard to accept?

random_name

Newly Enlightened
Funny how people won't accept that Surefire had problems and design issues with these lights and immediately will say that these are fake!
Is that hard to accept?
What issues have you had with yours?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Is that hard to accept?
In fairness, SureFire is getting better when it comes to wait times. With these two models it was ONLY two years.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their drivers are very reliable, my friend and I ran M6LT on 3*26650 and also replaced the diode with XHP50.2, it has been working perfectly for several years now

What they definitely lack is copper boards with a direct thermal path, then it would be possible to increase the power without the risk of overheating, as it is now. There are very few failures due to LED overheating, but they do exist. For flashlights at such a price and for such a purpose, this is, in my opinion, bad. Even very cheap Convoy / Lumintop / Wurkkos have long switched to copper boards. Lupine also made the transition from aluminum to copper quite a long time ago and their board also has contact pins, like the SF, and sell them separately for modification of older models. So this is a small problem for production. Perhaps taxes in LA are eating up all their money?

1706776362409.png

Attachments

• IMG_8545.JPG
    IMG_8545.JPG
    795.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8546.JPG
    IMG_8546.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 36

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that hard to accept?
I'd say it's a great light.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their drivers are very reliable, my friend and I ran M6LT on 3*26650 and also replaced the diode with XHP50.2, it has been working perfectly for several years now

What they definitely lack is copper boards with a direct thermal path, then it would be possible to increase the power without the risk of overheating, as it is now. There are very few failures due to LED overheating, but they do exist. For flashlights at such a price and for such a purpose, this is, in my opinion, bad. Even very cheap Convoy / Lumintop / Wurkkos have long switched to copper boards. Lupine also made the transition from aluminum to copper quite a long time ago and their board also has contact pins, like the SF, and sell them separately for modification of older models. So this is a small problem for production. Perhaps taxes in LA are eating up all their money?
They could (should) definitely use copper DTP boards.
Every Surefire that I've modded, I've swapped the original board with a copper DTP.

The EDC2-DFT stands to be one of the very few that I won't mod, not even tempted to in any way.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
How does the throw and spill compare to the Fury? Big difference?

The throw of the EDC1-DFT is like a laser compared to the Fury. The Fury has a very wide beam but not much throw.

Different uses.

I got the Fury Intellibeam because of the lumens, but didn't care for the spread, and wanted more throw. I was disappointed, until I realised how very useful it was; IMO, the Intellibeam feature MAKES the light.

It's absolutely ideal as an around-the-house every day light. You don't blind yourself looking around for stuff, but when you really need the intensity, it's there for you. Changed my view of the light completely; wouldn't want to be without it.

The EDC1-DFT is a whole different animal. While the spread has some drawbacks, mainly backsplash in dense environments, you can't beat it for throw. It puts light way out there, well beyond my former go-to, EB1 Backup with the TIR lens, which I loved for its spotlight capability. Still do, but I've been carrying the EDC1 for a while now, and it's doing what I want.