SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
I have concerns about the authenticity of a new EDC2 I purchased from a secondary seller. Comparing LED pics with an EDC1 I purchased…the diode is neatly framed by a black outline in the EDC1, the EDC2 looks a bit sloppy with gaps around all sides.

69342710-4B5B-45CA-9638-A30045ABC10E.jpeg
839F9BE0-DB28-4325-AEF0-7748C0282FC9.jpeg

I have concerns about the authenticity of a new EDC2 I purchased from a secondary seller. Comparing LED pics with an EDC1 I purchased…the diode is neatly framed by a black outline in the EDC1, the EDC2 looks a bit sloppy with gaps around all sides.

View attachment 57129View attachment 57130
You could reach out to SF's customer service and send photos. They won't commit to giving you a definite answer without you sending the actual light in, but they can provide some input as to if there's anything suspicious. Hopefully their answer can allay your fears or give you enough evidence to file a buyer's protection claim.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
I'd assume minor differences over the course of a manufaturing run.

If y'all are sufficiently concerned, maybe compiling a series of pics along with the particular serial numbers might be of some use.

I dunno if these lights have been out long enough to have been copied/pirated.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When PK left SureFire and started his own gig he said there were times he'd see fakes of his new lights before he'd even released his new light.

SureFire fakes are very common overseas so it's not unusual that some would make it to America. Best to buy directly from SureFire these days. Bright Guy is legit too. The owner is a flashaholic who supplies legit items to numerous first responder departments.

matt4350

Enlightened
Soooo, seems this light is not much chop for EDC, but it sounds hella good as a belt light for police work. Anyone able to comment if they think the spill will provide adequate situational awareness if I'm in a poorly lit street, for instance? Would it be too intense moving around a vehicle intercept site? I use both Malkoff and Elzetta when I'm working outdoors, love them heaps but some more throw would definitely be cool, I'd like to get some opinions first when I'm thinking of dropping this sort of cash on a light.
Thanks!

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
Soooo, seems this light is not much chop for EDC, but it sounds hella good as a belt light for police work. Anyone able to comment if they think the spill will provide adequate situational awareness if I'm in a poorly lit street, for instance? Would it be too intense moving around a vehicle intercept site? I use both Malkoff and Elzetta when I'm working outdoors, love them heaps but some more throw would definitely be cool, I'd like to get some opinions first when I'm thinking of dropping this sort of cash on a light.
Thanks!
It has decent spill but it's primary function is a thrower. The longer you go out the more spill you have at a distance. I compare it to my ED2 Ultra @ 1,000 lumens and it blows away the ED2 in terms of throw. The EDC1-DFT is not exactly small or pocket friendly. It's a big large and bulky for a single-battery light, but I find I can put it in the pocket of a fleece or jacket and it's fine. Summer time may be a bit more of a challenge. If you want a recommendation for an excellent thrower with good spill I highly recommend the Fenix PD35 v3.0 with 1,700 lumens. Very impressive light, but it is a two-cell light.

akula88

Enlightened
Anyone get one of these in HA grey? It looks like the EDC2 is now available in HA but I've never seen a picture of one in HA in the wild.
I've been trying to wait for the resellers/dealers to re-stock the EDC1-DFT HA (GRAY) since after-thanksgiving. Still no positive notification from them.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried one out when Scheels had one on sale for $125. My opinion was it had way too much spill and not enough throw. I wasn't real impressed with the LED tint either, but it was okay. I ended up returning it. I won't be buying another, my E2e's still serve me well.

matt4350

Enlightened
It has decent spill but it's primary function is a thrower. The longer you go out the more spill you have at a distance. I compare it to my ED2 Ultra @ 1,000 lumens and it blows away the ED2 in terms of throw. The EDC1-DFT is not exactly small or pocket friendly. It's a big large and bulky for a single-battery light, but I find I can put it in the pocket of a fleece or jacket and it's fine. Summer time may be a bit more of a challenge. If you want a recommendation for an excellent thrower with good spill I highly recommend the Fenix PD35 v3.0 with 1,700 lumens. Very impressive light, but it is a two-cell light.
Thanks for the reply, had a look at PD35 v3 but I think for the marginal increase in throw I would just stay with my Elzetta Charlie, maybe get the HC head. Website indicates PD35 is 1 cell 18650, is there an extension?
Cheers mate!

emac77

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, had a look at PD35 v3 but I think for the marginal increase in throw I would just stay with my Elzetta Charlie, maybe get the HC head. Website indicates PD35 is 1 cell 18650, is there an extension?
Cheers mate!
The PD35 accepts one 18650 or two cr123 batteries.

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
Well, I went back and read the entire 30 pages of this thread, as there seems to be so many variations in these lights, what with plain Jane edc1-t, edc1-dft, edc1-dft turbo. I noticed someone had posted a pic of the packaging when the light first became "readily" available, so I took a look at my package. There are stick-on labels over the candela/lumen/throw markings; mine states 95000 candela, 650/25 lumens, and 616 meter throw, and notes turbo beam pattern.

For the guy who complained about the price drop, I bought mine in early December off ebay, and paid 192 to my door. So don't feel too bad.

Taking the light out at 3AM in a reasonably dark back yard, I noted that the spot portion of the beam is really very tight. The spill is pretty even, though I could live with a much narrower cone, and much less total photonic spillage. Life's tough that way, I suppose. But the beam looked LEP-tight.

I have the flat ring/O-ring phenomenon, and the threads seem just a bit gritty. I might try a tiny dab of aeroshell grease there, but it doesn't really seem necessary.

I'm happy with the clicky t-piece; it's what I imprinted on with my first E1B, and I'm a believer in keeping controls identical across the board, for things that I might need in a serious hurry. 2 modes, always working the same, is ideal; all controls operable with one hand is also important.

I've read concerns about the aesthetics of the lights, and taking a look at it as an object, it's true that the head seems disproportionate, but in operation it's fine, it's pocketable for me, and I would probably never have paid it any mind if it hadn't been mentioned. Now I'm thinking that an EDC2-dft might be a little more balanced-looking. Is that a sufficient excuse to buy another light that is superfluous to requirements? God help me, it probably is.

Might as well mention that I found an original E1B Backup on ebay which I snatched up because it was there; Grandfather told me that if you find something ou need and like that works well, buy two, because they'll stop making them. He should have said "three."
I'm wondering if these stick-on labels are covering up the old lumen/candela ratings, and if so, were they initially rated too low by mistake, hence the stickers? I haven't read anything on whether the early release EDC1 w/71K candela and 550 lumens were any different than the more recent 95K candela and 650 lumens.