Surefire G2L Head Made From Aluminum?

carrot

Flashaholic
Show me anyone, Anyone, who orders one and gets a 6P head on a G2 body! I think it's just a photo someone snuck in there at Surefire. If they really did ship this, they would owe people the proper head per their replacement policy. It's just a shot of lego, not product.
So by logical extension, when they make a new, updated version of the L1 (which they have done quite a few times in the past), they are required to send all old customers the new version gratis?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Sure!:laughing:
HAhaha, ok ya got me!
If you get a 6P bezel on a new G2L purchase, that could be a reason to buy a G2L. The price difference between the G2 and G2L is awfully high if the only difference is a quickly diminishing LED drop-in. Although the black one is easy, how will they do the different colors? Will we see the G2L turn into a black only product?

Illum

Flashaholic
I was hoping something like this, if you haven't already noticed, the design of the G2 seems to be more intricate and fashionable than the 6P, which has a more elementary design...aside from thermal conductivity there has been previous posts saying the G2 has more grip than the 6P because of the significant variations in thickness between grooves. However, having only owned a G2 and not a 6P I can't prove the logic one way or another

Its good to see design improvements that may in term bring about better performance, but I think at minumum Surefire needs to make the bezel with "G2 like designs" or perhaps an engraving of some sort to make it look less obtrusive / less "lego like" combination of the preexisting design on the 6P
but thats just me :grin2:

how do you tell whether its photoshopped?

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks photochopped. If it isn't it doesn't match very well. They could at least make the tailcap the same way for some balance....

O

OpticsHQ

SureFire will be doing an "in-line" change to the new heads. This means, we do not really know when this will happen and neither the model nor price will change. From what I understand it will be available in black and yellow (not sure about color matching though). Estimate is that they will begin shipping "new" versions in the next month or so (or as soon as the current versions are gone).

Scourie

Enlightened
The Surefire website states that the G2L is made from Nitrolon and Aluminium. I'm of the opinion that this is a step backwards, a big benefit of the G2 is it's non-conductivity.

Mind you, I do have a yellow G2 with a 200lm multi-mode drop-in.

Rob

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Rob. Do you mind me asking where you got the 200lm multi-mode drop-in? Thanks.

Rob

The Surefire website states that the G2L is made from Nitrolon and Aluminium. I'm of the opinion that this is a step backwards, a big benefit of the G2 is it's non-conductivity.

Mind you, I do have a yellow G2 with a 200lm multi-mode drop-in.

Rob

jbviau

Enlightened
Strange. Re: sinking heat away from the LED, wouldn't an aluminum body be more effective than an aluminum head? I don't see how this change will help all that much.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Strange. Re: sinking heat away from the LED, wouldn't an aluminum body be more effective than an aluminum head? I don't see how this change will help all that much.
It would be strange for SureFire to make this change without good reason.
I mean one would expect any benefits gained by the change to outweigh the drawbacks of mix'n'matchin' Nitrolon and aluminium...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope it color matches better than it shows in the pic. That looks terrible. I'll still probably get one though. LOL!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Exactly. Theres' more aluminum in the body to pull away heat. Besides an aluminum body with nitrolon head and tailcap would look better. I think they should reconsider their strategy with this, but thats just my worthless opinion.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If SF can have their drop in make good metal to metal contact with the head then the head will be a fairly massive heat sink. I do not have the GPL drop in, but I am trying a DX drop in. Using a yellow Nitralon body and a 6P current style head, I am trying this out. There is no good metal to metal contact of the drop in to 6P head, only up front at the window and an O ring. After 4 minutes head is getting warm. At 12 minutes head is a little warmer. Light output (bounce with lightmeter) is not dropping significantly. Stopped test at 20 minutes. Head is much warmer though no where near hot. Light output did not drop drastically. I will do this same test procedure with an all metal 6P later, and report back to this post.

Again, if there is good metal to metal contact with the GPL drop in with the metal bezel of the newer G2L then the head will act as a good heatsink.

Bill

Patriot

Flashaholic
I hope it color matches better than it shows in the pic. That looks terrible. I'll still probably get one though. LOL!

I didn't even think it looked all that bad....lol. And I didn't think it looked photoshopped...oh well. We all notice different things I guess.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the bigger problem for "matching" the head and the body is the texture/finish as opposed to colour.

Here's hoping that SureFire will still produce the light in multiple colours. Even if we can't get all the crazy G2 colours that have been created in photoshop, at least having the same colour options with the G2L as there were with the G2 would be nice.

Regards,
Tempest

AzGB

Enlightened
Never been a big fan of rumor and speculation... It's real folks.

SF_G2L_2_A.jpg

SF_G2L_2_B.jpg

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, is the aluminum head going to ship with the G2L only? Is the standard G2 still going to ship with a Nitrolon head?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I've never really encountered any problems with heat in my G2L, the biggest improvement here, for me, is the adoption of the hexagonal anti-roll bezel. The aluminium lights have it...the G3 has it...so why didn't the G2 get it until now?

Regards,
Tempest

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
I recently received a G2L, about a month ago, and it has the Nitrolon head.