Surefire G2L Head Made From Aluminum?

Size15's

Flashaholic
So, is the aluminum head going to ship with the G2L only? Is the standard G2 still going to ship with a Nitrolon head?
As far as SureFire have let on, and I see no reason to assume otherwise - the G2L will the only one of the Nitrolon family (G2/G2Z/G3) to gain the aluminium bezel. At least as long as the come with incandescent lamps...

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED module makes very little contact with the head compared to the contact it makes with the body. I don't see this being a significant improvement.

I'll see what I can do about testing it though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
We have not seen the Al head for the G2L yet. SF has probably figured a way for the new head to have more contact with the drop in module. It might even be form fitting. Who knows?

Bill

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks strange! My G2L has the nitrolon head and I think I prefer that... Yes, the module will drop in brightness within 10-15 minutes but I don't think it's that bad... It gives more runtime. The only thing I hope is that they didn't change the bezel because there was some problems with the nitrolon head killing the module fast. Anyway, I don't risk seeing any problem soon as mine is a backup light in my car. It won't get much continous use.

Does anyone use his G2L much? Any problem yet?

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I hope it color matches better than it shows in the pic. That looks terrible. I'll still probably get one though. LOL!

It would match better if it was hard anodized as it has a more matte like finish. While they are at it they could go ahead and offer the 6P/9P hard anodized as well!

KROMATICS

Enlightened
As far as SureFire have let on, and I see no reason to assume otherwise - the G2L will the only one of the Nitrolon family (G2/G2Z/G3) to gain the aluminium bezel. At least as long as the come with incandescent lamps...

What about the yellow one?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2L-BK shown in hand on SureFire.com has a standard 6P bezel.

SureFire have not yet shown what they are offering in terms of G2L-YL.
My guess is that it will continue to be a standard G2 body and bezel, or temporarily suspended until a yellow anodised "6P" bezel can be produced.

Numbers

Enlightened
I just hope that my yellow nitrolon G2L does not have any (heat sinking or regulation) problems and that this change is being made not because the already sold models need it, but rather in anticipation of using "hotter" updated led's in the near future with aluminum being able to handle them. Wouldnt that be nice.

6010 nsk

Newly Enlightened
I have been noticing at the store ,sportsmans warehouse etc the all the G2 lights on the shelf have a much reduced bezel and look silly to me. The part where the hex is stays the same size but just past it the bezel is reduced to the body size. Is this my eyes, the packaging or a CO thing , or ???
Speaking of nubbies I turned mine off on the lathe. :)

G2SMOOTH.jpg

Last edited:

rtt

Enlightened
If the head is a 6P, will we get a Pyrex lens also? I was under the impression that the current G2L has a Lexan lens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If the head is a 6P, will we get a Pyrex lens also? I was under the impression that the current G2L has a Lexan lens.
Yes, the 6P bezel has a Pyrex window.
The G2 bezel used by the G2L up until this thread (sic) has a Lexan window.

Illum

Flashaholic
A yellow-anodised 6P bezel would be sexy. I see a bumblebee-version of the 6P ... :D

or like the tail of a yellow jacket:popcorn:
it'll look like a fat grub if you lay the flashlight down on the counter and look at it from afar:grin2:

yellow anodized would be opening a new can or worms as that would basically imply that surefire is INDEED MAKING color versions... [hint, G2 colors thread]

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would match better if it was hard anodized as it has a more matte like finish. While they are at it they could go ahead and offer the 6P/9P hard anodized as well!

I've been wanting a black HA 6P forever. I hope they make them someday...

rtt

Enlightened
Yes, the 6P bezel has a Pyrex window.
The G2 bezel used by the G2L up until this thread (sic) has a Lexan window.

We can only speculate on why SF is changing the head on the G2L to aluminium (6P) head, only SF knows the real reason. My speculation is that there is a thermal problem with the current design. It could be that the LED life span is shortened drastictly due to the heat (dimming over time and then failure).

It has been many years since my thermo dynamics class, but if I remember correctly the heat transfer coefficient of Lexan and thermo plastic is very poor. If in fact the current polymer head and lens is changed to aluminum and Pyrex glass lens the heat transfer coefficient will be greatly improved. The Pyrex glass lens will improve the heat transfer coefficient by at least 5 times and the aluminium head will increase the heat transfer coefficient by at least 10 times. I will let the new graduates provide the most current information on heat transfer coefficient and thermal conductivity of the various material.

I see this change to be very good from the standpoint of heat management.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the new bezel not make the light feel somewhat "odd" in the hand? :thinking: Very bezel-heavy if the rest is still nitrolon...

Regards,
Tempest

Latest posts