Surefire Invictus & Optimus - expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Invictus & Optimus Breaking News!

I also thought it was odd from a marketing standpoint. I thought they were releasing the Optimus first then the Invictus because a lot of people would want to see what another 200 lumens will deliver and purchase the Invictus. Even thought I did not preorder a Optimus I immediately thought wow those people are not going to be happy. From what they were saying it sounds like the difference of a couple of months with both out by September. Lets see 1 Invictus, 1 E2DL and 1 Arc6. It looks like an expensive summer.

I agree...doesn`t seem to make sense from a marketing point of view. First Optimus...then Invictus. And for christmas a focusing Invictus...would seem to be the better way to suck wallets empty.

But...just a thought...perhaps some other company might be on the verge of releasing a bright 400+ lumen light ...and sales could be lost. This part of the game has always been...well let me just say Surefire has never won before.

The Optimus having the novel focus could be released at any time and still have at least some sales and if the focus goes over well...could be incorperated into other lights.

Size15's

Flashaholic

The UB2 Invictus is a very bright light using an LED in a reflector.

The UA2 Optimus features a combination TIR optic and "Zoom Plate" lens to adjust the beam from 'spot' to 'flood'.

SureFire can do reflectors. For me it makes sense that they would need longer to perfect the technologies required for zoom focusing. This is all new and there is a lot resting on SureFire being able to pull this off (much of the hype was started by SureFire themselves). Not worth rushing things.

Al

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened

For me it makes sense that they would need longer to perfect the technologies required for zoom focusing. This is all new and there is a lot resting on SureFire being able to pull this off (much of the hype was started by SureFire themselves). Not worth rushing things.

Al

What about for the people (like me) who have already pre-ordered the Optimus expecting it to come out first (by all accounts)

If the Optimus WAS due out in June, right now (May), they should not be in the "perfect(ing) the technology" stage, they should be in the manufacturing/preparing to ship stage.

Numbers

Enlightened

I had occasion to talk to SF CS a few weeks ago, after taking care of my business I asked the rep if the timing on the Optimus was still June. The response:
How long have you been buying SF's .....
Therefore I am not holding my breath.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had occasion to talk to SF CS a few weeks ago, after taking care of my business I asked the rep if the timing on the Optimus was still June. The response:

they DO have a sense of humor then...lol!

this is strange, size15s doesnt have anymore information on this one then we do...or does he? :rolleyes:

Crenshaw

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about for the people (like me) who have already pre-ordered the Optimus expecting it to come out first (by all accounts)

If the Optimus WAS due out in June, right now (May), they should not be in the "perfect(ing) the technology" stage, they should be in the manufacturing/preparing to ship stage.

Well even if SureFire have been giving "release dates" to dealers pointing to June for the UA2, that doesn't amount to an official release date that you should rely on. I don't think it's fair to say what SureFire should or should not be doing based on guesstimated release dates provided to dealers that were never released officially or publicly.

Using Optics HQ as an example, their pre-order list only states "estimated availability" of the product. "Estimated" being the key word here.

For all the excitement that release dates of new SureFires products may drum up for CPFers, myself included, all that we can really go by is "it'll be ready when it's ready" until an official announcement is made publicly.

Regards,
Tempest

Size15's

Flashaholic

As I said, I have no idea on what basis people became so convinced the UA2 even had a release date, let alone one in June.
Wishful thinking following an estimation...

Well exactly! This is situation normal for SureFire - it always takes longer to release their new products than they and everybody else would like!

Flashlight Enthusiast

well this is weird because i preordered a Optimus

ASG

Newly Enlightened

For what its worth, I was at the National Rifle Association convention during May 16-18 and Surefire was there on hand. On display were all of there flashlights, including a standard current issue U2. I asked the rep when we could expect to see the UA2 and the UB2 and he said that they are working out some issues concerning them. They probably won't be out for at least another 4 months or so. He said to sign up on Surefire's e-mail list and they will e-mail the release date in advance.

ASG

iapyx

Enlightened

Is that the release date purported on CPF and by SureFire Dealers on CPF?

I don't recall the UA2 having a release date.
(which is why I found it strange that CPF and certain dealers seemed to expect it to be released as early as this summer)

exactly, we cpf'ers get this info from some dealers.
The dealers say to get their info directly from Surefire.
Either SF is -or the dealers are- not giving the correct info.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I spoke to customer service at Surefire today and was informed they are now going to release the Invictus before the Optimus. They stated they received so many calls on the Invictus, they decided to release it in June. Has anyone else heard this? I was holding out for the Invictus. Looks like its going to be a shorter wait.

That's what I get for taking a couple of days off from CPF.

Almost missed the great news. Wonder if it has something to do with the Invictus making 400 lumens, max, out the front on 2xCR123s.

Hmm..... Could be. :twothumbs

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yay for the Invictus. :)

Those of you waiting for the Optimus...just relax...it'll happen. :cool:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

eh, can I change my UA2 pre-order into a UB2 pre-order?
guess not huh. :ironic:

Well, you had no interest in the UB2 so why would you want to change your preorder? What difference does it make? What if SF just delayed the UA2 till later, without moving up the UB2? Does that change anything?

iapyx

Enlightened

Well, you had no interest in the UB2 so why would you want to change your preorder? What difference does it make? What if SF just delayed the UA2 till later, without moving up the UB2? Does that change anything?

Now who actually said I had no interest in the UB2?

Size15's

Flashaholic

exactly, we cpf'ers get this info from some dealers.
The dealers say to get their info directly from Surefire.
Either SF is -or the dealers are- not giving the correct info.
I'd chalk up to over-excitement, enthusiasm, eagerness to please and a good dose of confusion and misunderstanding.

What this has demonstrated [to me at least] is that once again 'release dates' are not to be trusted.

Al

curlyfry562

Enlightened

SureFire can do reflectors. For me it makes sense that they would need longer to perfect the technologies required for zoom focusing. This is all new and there is a lot resting on SureFire being able to pull this off (much of the hype was started by SureFire themselves). Not worth rushing things.

Al

I agree that makes the most sense if this rumor is true.

Qoose

Enlightened

Because if you had real interest in it, you would have pre-ordered both? But anyway...whatevs. :cool:

Actually, I would like to preorder the Invictus. Only I'm not prepared to pay $99,999 for it at my favorite distributor. I'm curious if we are going to be seeing changes with everyone who started pre-orders for the UA2.

Status
Not open for further replies.