Surefire KL1 head

gsxrac

Enlightened
Man this thread is a zombie! its back from the dead... again! But anyways I have no idea but I think mine is blue enough to be used as a police light :D

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me wehat type of LED is in the first gen KL1 heads?
Just a guess but a Luxeon 1W?

I don't think there were other options around when the Gen1/2 KL1 was introduced.

Here's one upgraded by Icarus.
kl1j.jpg

snip
Man this thread is a zombie! its back from the dead... again!

Just shows how well made lights stay around.
..unlike those that pop up and dissapear in the 'bang for buck' race :D

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm thinking that it might have been a Low Dome Lux I, not the Lambertian High Dome. Optic was probably NX05, or maybe NX01, not sure.

Bill

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
:bumpit:

Maybe you KL1 experts could help me figure out what I've got here?

I recently rec'd a modded 1st-gen KL1 in a parts package. I figure it's about ~60 lumens on 3x CR123 & ~50 lumens on 2x AA, and is very nice and warm, the best tinted LED I have.

I believe it has an updated optic, but the Luxeon 'star' boards are a little before my time here. I checked out Craig's very good LED photo thread, and it appears to be a LuxIII.

I don't know if the driver has been upgraded - it seems to be at least comparable to the original buck-boost driver - 3xCR123 hasn't fried it yet, and it does nearly as well on 2x AA. My guess is that the stock driver (500 mA right?) plus a LuxIII could give me the decent performance that I'm seeing? :shrug:

KL1004.jpg

KL1017.jpg

Any suggestions for an appropriate emitter if I was to upgrade? It's really not too shabby now (compared to what I've read about the original performance of these first-gen heads), but if an upgrade would be both inexpensive and easy, you know ... :crazy:

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recently rec'd a modded 1st-gen KL1 in a parts package. I figure it's about ~60 lumens on 3x CR123 & ~50 lumens on 2x AA, and is very nice and warm, the best tinted LED I have.

I believe it has an updated optic, but the Luxeon 'star' boards are a little before my time here. I checked out Craig's very good LED photo thread, and it appears to be a LuxIII.

I don't know if the driver has been upgraded - it seems to be at least comparable to the original buck-boost driver - 3xCR123 hasn't fried it yet, and it does nearly as well on 2x AA. My guess is that the stock driver (500 mA right?) plus a LuxIII could give me the decent performance that I'm seeing? :shrug:

Any suggestions for an appropriate emitter if I was to upgrade? It's really not too shabby now (compared to what I've read about the original performance of these first-gen heads), but if an upgrade would be both inexpensive and easy, you know ... :crazy:

I doubt it's the original driver, which would be 350mA, but known to run to at least 9 volts. The original KL1 put out maybe 25l, so a goosed LuxIII could probably do what you are seeing with 500mA. Or maybe you have a P4 star, and lower current.

Why not take it apart to check, or just check the emitter current?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

KL1004.jpg

KL1017.jpg

Nice to see one of the old KL1s again :)

I have a pair, and I have soldered one before. Now looking to stick some XR-E's into them because I have a couple of spare XR-E's left over from another project.

My misadventure will be documented here..
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3529976#post3529976

I considered buying XP-G's but at my intended 350mA drive current the XP-Gs don't offer that much of a diff (10-20lu) over my XR-Es so I decided to stay with those.
http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp7090_xre.asp

My KL1 driver boards are stock because I particularly like the characteristics of the original boards, including being able to run on virtually anything you throw at them up to a stunning 9V. Batt life is particularly good at 350mA too. From your description you MAY have the stock board. Some modders added resistors to the stock boards to bring them up to 500mA or even higher. I remember reading the combos they published, but I figured the resistors were too small for me to safely solder with my ham fingers.

Basically my plan in a nutshell, is to desolder the old LEDs, smack in a XR-E on its star, reflector on top of it (after appropriately isolating the reflector from shorting on the star connectors), and close everything up again and enjoy my 100+ lumens. :)

Your optic appears to be the stock standard NX05. I am replacing mine, because the XR-E is unlikely to play well with them. It is a pity, because I've owned a KL1 almost since the day I got here, and part of the charm of the KL1 is the diamond-shaped hotspot. I understand not everybody likes it, but after having lived with the KL1 for so long, it's grown on me :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome :)

The Cree is nice and bright even at stock current. I'm impressed, especially considering I love my insanely bright lights. :)

Get an XP-E and chop the star to fit (or buy a smaller board from DX). The NX05 optic gives a horrible beam, my reflectors are still on the way.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Get an XP-E and chop the star to fit (or buy a smaller board from DX). The NX05 optic gives a horrible beam, my reflectors are still on the way.
OK, I particularly love CPF when it can kick out answers to some of the more obscure questions... :huh:

So if I don't mind the existing beam characteristics from this optic w/ the P4 (edit: my mistake, there is a LuxIII in it at the moment), do I have any viable LED upgrade paths without spending any extra $ by changing out the optic? Or is a top-binned P4 the end of the road for the optic I have?

Thanks much, there don't seem to be very many KL1 folks active around here these days... :candle:

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have a KL1 head I've been enjoying but am pondering an emitter swap - it is the last generation (i.e. domed optic and the head has the same appearance as the current KX1/KX2 heads). Does anyone know the ma standard on these? I do like that it will use a wide variety of batteries but wouldn't mind upping the efficiency and brightness just a tad (to the 100-120 range).

Any thoughts on the right emitter that will work with the optic? What kind of gains I can get from an emitter swap over the stock luxIII? Will a new emitter help with the squarish beam pattern?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I particularly love CPF when it can kick out answers to some of the more obscure questions... :huh:

So if I don't mind the existing beam characteristics from this optic w/ the P4, do I have any viable LED upgrade paths without spending any extra $ by changing out the optic? Or is a top-binned P4 the end of the road for the optic I have?

Thanks much, there don't seem to be very many KL1 folks active around here these days... :candle:

Good to see us golden oldies (6 years on CPF for me!) are still of some (minimal) use ;)

I have not tested the P4 but they tell me it yields better results than the Cree. If you find it acceptable, then yes that would be the end of the road - but only for now. Who knows what the future will bring? The beauty of the KL1 is the relative ease which emitters can be changed. Relative.. I messed up two of mine.. I think I'll need to open up the whole head the next time.

I have two $2.10 reflectors on the way from DX. At less than the price of a couple of CR123s (which are expensive in my area), it's a worthwhile investment to consider changing the optic, apart from sentimental value.

I have a KL1 head I've been enjoying but am pondering an emitter swap - it is the last generation (i.e. domed optic and the head has the same appearance as the current KX1/KX2 heads). Does anyone know the ma standard on these? I do like that it will use a wide variety of batteries but wouldn't mind upping the efficiency and brightness just a tad (to the 100-120 range).

Any thoughts on the right emitter that will work with the optic? What kind of gains I can get from an emitter swap over the stock luxIII? Will a new emitter help with the squarish beam pattern?

I only know about the 4th generation ones (the smooth-sided KL1 immediately succeeding the finned versions, of which there were 3 generations). I believe it drives a Lux3 at 500mA. At 350mA I'm already in the 110+ emitter-lumen territory by upgrading to a Cree XR-E, you should be able to expect a few more at 0.5A.

The beam pattern may be caused by the optic. You might be better off changing to a new LEd and reflector.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Good to see us golden oldies (6 years on CPF for me!) are still of some (minimal) use ;)
Actually, I've found a number of your recent posts to be very interesting reading, I'm happy that you've been posting again.

I have not tested the P4 but they tell me it yields better results than the Cree. If you find it acceptable, then yes that would be the end of the road - but only for now. Who knows what the future will bring? The beauty of the KL1 is the relative ease which emitters can be changed. Relative.. I messed up two of mine.. I think I'll need to open up the whole head the next time.

I have two $2.10 reflectors on the way from DX. At less than the price of a couple of CR123s (which are expensive in my area), it's a worthwhile investment to consider changing the optic, apart from sentimental value. .
I was mistaken in my post from yesterday, I only have a LuxIII star in this head - I was thinking about upgrading to a P4 if it would provide the best results with the current optic (after reading reports to that effect). However, a new discussion has opened up here re: using the K2 in this head & optic, so I'll follow that as well.

Please let me know how your reflectors work out, I would be interested in trying one of those if it will let me use the latest & greatest LED for this unit. I am hesitant to spring for the highly-regarded McR-20 reflector for a light that is of only secondary use.

Thanks again,
K

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you put a Cree xp-e in there you get about the same beam pattern, but a lot more light. I have a neutral white R2 xp-e in mine (removed the Lux3 emitter) and it is wonderful.

Sverre

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I've found a number of your recent posts to be very interesting reading, I'm happy that you've been posting again.

I was mistaken in my post from yesterday, I only have a LuxIII star in this head - I was thinking about upgrading to a P4 if it would provide the best results with the current optic (after reading reports to that effect). However, a new discussion has opened up here re: using the K2 in this head & optic, so I'll follow that as well.

Please let me know how your reflectors work out, I would be interested in trying one of those if it will let me use the latest & greatest LED for this unit. I am hesitant to spring for the highly-regarded McR-20 reflector for a light that is of only secondary use.

Thanks again,
K

Thanks for the warm welcome back :) Yup, I can't wait - even though I'm in Asia and closer to DX (they're in Hong Kong), every day still feels like an eternity!

Is this the right place for a mod like this :D?
This was my original write up on the thread but the pictures have since expired.
When I get around to it I plan on doing an XP-G triple in one of the old ribbed host just for fun.
** Quoted pics deleted - already posted above - Kestrel **
OOOOOH WOW. KL1 meets its ultimate destiny.

You'd need a 17670 to power that safely on li-ion (2xCR123 length)...

Last edited by a moderator:

MCRider

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator: