Surefire L4 170 lumen Output?

foxdoublegunner

Newly Enlightened
Bill,
I also did a web search before purchasing my new L4 and did not unearth much info. I purchased my L4 (170 lumen) from a well known auction site. If you were to do a search on the site you will see a number of L4 models, some of which are adverstised as 120 lumen and some as 170 lumen. There are also some L4's which do not have the lumen value listed. If you order from this site, I recommend that you specify that you would like to receive the 170 lumen model and not the older model. The person that I purchased the light from NIB stated that she would send the newer 170 lumen model to those who specified that they wanted the upgraded model. Otherwise she would send the older model NIB. The box had a sticker specifying the higher, 170 lumen value. Although the rated strength is a bit less than my 6PX, I am very satisifed with the beam quality and the build quality. I am sure that it will serve me well for a number of years.

Regards,
Foxdoublegunner

tjhabak

Enlightened
I know this is an old thread, but wasn't there a version of the L4 that used a Cree emitter? Or at least a KL4 head for one of the weapon lights that had a Cree?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread, but wasn't there a version of the L4 that used a Cree emitter? Or at least a KL4 head for one of the weapon lights that had a Cree?
I think the newer Cree ones are KX1, KX2 etc. On the KL4 I think SSCP4 is the latest available.

I did however have had such KL4 (170lm version) gone thru an XPG2 (S5 flux) swap, courtesy of Lumens Factory. The results are great, even though the hotspot is not tightly focused.

My question, however, is: what's the input voltage range of the KL4 (SSCP4 170lm, buck driver)? I've tried RCR123a and while it works, I've been advised not to because 2x3.7V input is not on its official specs. Also what's the drive current of the stock KL4?