Surefire L4 5W released!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
If I want longer on periods I may remove the rubber from a Brinkman and wrap it on the E2E

[/ QUOTE ]
BN - Please don't do that! You'll insulate your hand from the heat, certainly, but you will also be insulating the heat from the environment. If the exterior of the light can't shed the heat, the temp will likely not stabilize until a much higher, more damaging point is reached - if at all. You won't be seeing any plastic 5W lights until we've increased efficiency WAY beyond what we have today.

Better to do your best Michael Jackson imitation and wear a glove on your flashlight hand. Or do what I do, and play hot-potato with the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Darell,

Thanks for reminding me about that. Is there any merit to my idea:

"....Would it be possible to put a tiny cone shaped funnel with the large opening directly over the LED and the small opening with a smaller diameter than the LED emitting its point-source light into the main reflector which can then focus what it sees as a "smaller emitter" into a tighter beam?"

Brightnorm

Darell

Flashaholic
Ah sorry, BN -

I wasn't ignoring that question by accident - I simply don't have the required reflector/optical expertise to hazard even a high-quality guess. It would seem to me that the effect you're after is a side-emitter.

Mike75

Newly Enlightened
Now I'm starting to feel sorry about buying the LSH-P a week ago! And I didn't even get it yet! Damn... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

GreenArcher

Newly Enlightened
Why feel sorry about getting the LSH-P? It is a lot smaller and lasts for 2 hours on one battery! From what I read, this L4 only lasts for 65 minutes on two batteries. It would have different if the L4 has a dim mode, which lasts for 4 hours, like the KL1.

So, you'll want both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Brock PDF, only 65-70 Lumens. Underdrive or Surefire realistic/conservative measure?

I'm willin' to guess that the textured reflector should have a lot to do with the lumens output not being at what they should be. Maybe SF is using only U ranked LSs... And I believe it's slightly underdriven as well (4.5W or so, instead of 5W)... So who knows... Plus, being that lumens could be lost at the sides of the head, or at the back end, and you could easily lose 30-40 lumens to sidespill that never makes it out the business end...

Just my hunch...

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
I've just received a reply from Supreme Co in Hong Kong regarding my L4 order:

"No other factory will make the 5W LED in the short future. I have the prototype, I love it very much, it is as bright as the classic 6P, and the light is blueish, it give better "blind effect" than warm color light."

"L4 and KL4 will be available in very limited quantity. We ordered hundreds of them, and Sure Fire factory said only very few available to ship."

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire rate the output of their products by measuring the light that comes out of their products. For regulated models the output is what it is.

Another thing to point out is that the rating of the Luxeon is one thing, and what it can do in a product rather then on a lab bench is another.

SureFire have tuned the KL4 for use only on the E2/E2e. It would be reasonable to expect the the KL6 will be tuned differently.

I would have thought there is an important difference between underdriving a Luxeon according to it's optimum lab spec compared with underdriving a Luxeon compared with the optimum performance characteristics of the product it is being used in.

I don't look at the beam of light coming out of the KL4 and think "It looks underdriven...". Rather I think "Wow!".

Al

Brock

Flashaholic
Soon after I got mine I did the usual flash in the eyes. Most of the time it is really bright, but it honestly blinded me for a min or so and left that flash bulb square of the LED in my vision for about 5 min. It is more stunning then even an M6. I would guess this is because with the M6 you have about a 1/3 "warm up" time on the lamp, maybe your eyes can start to adjust to the brightness that fast. Well the KL4 is instant on, no time for your eyes to iris down. It is bright...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Brock,

I think both you and Al have commented on this "Instant Power ON" and I know that Darell was amazed at the use of red Luxeons for brake lights for the same reason. I think a subtle but significant difference has been identified here and should be considered when the task is defensive disorientation. I would much rather use the KL4 as a defensive "blinder" than a slow start 50 watt HID. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Soon after I got mine I did the usual flash in the eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I'm going to be doing this too, as soon as I receive my L4. LOL. I hope I don't hurt myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone post a pic of the light side by side against an E2(E) for reference(bezel down on flat surface), BTW how long is it? and what is the diameter of the bezel? Can you also post a pic of the beam against an E2 with the 60 lumen LA? (Not the whitewall test, but a regular pic illuminating something at a known distance)

Thanks!

Alex

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
YAY! I ordered one. Hope it'll be here soon. This would be the 2nd Surefire i own. I'm excited!

I have one question though. Does the L4 feature Hi and Low brightness like the L1 and A2?