Surefire M3

jso902

Enlightened
Glad you like it! In my experience the LED versions don't seem to throw as well as the old school incan, despite their lumen ratings being significantly higher.
chris, you have to compare the M3T to the M3LT. The TIR lens really helps that LED a lot. the only problem is that the low setting looks a little green. THe high setting is closer to white.
An M3LT is definitely one search light.

brigadier, i like your quote. after investing crap loads on leds,
my favorite light is still a nice hot incandescent.
there's something about it...

as for boring an M3, I did it. It still looks beefy enough for me.
used a drill, duck tape, various sandpapers and topped it off by honing the unit with an 18mm honing bit.
After all the time spent and materials purchased... the price gets pretty close to paying a machinist to do it.
pic 1 with a sf cr123
Pic 2 18650 with a little shadow. FYI, it's a snug fit.
Hope these images help give you an idea of how much you're boring out.
urajubaj.jpg

3e3ynatu.jpg

before i forget... i wanted to ask the guru's...
"why did surefire make an oval shaped beam for the m3?" was it to augment the hotspot? was it to prevent scatter? or was it a blooper that they just went with?

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
"why did surefire make an oval shaped beam for the m3?" was it to augment the hotspot? was it to prevent scatter? or was it a blooper that they just went with?
Beam shape of reflectorized incandescents, depends on shape and size of filament, shape and size of reflector and texture.
Since shape of mentioned filament is oblong rectangular and scattered by orange peel reflector, therefore final look of beam shape is oval.

Brigadier

Enlightened

before i forget... i wanted to ask the guru's...

I actually like the oval beam. I find it very useful for scanning an area when the oval is horizontally oriented.

NEW2LED

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am new to this forum but have had an M3 for years, serial number A15453. I came here with the intent to look for LED conversion heads. I have read many of the threads about converting the M3 and installing your own LED and emitter. I don't think I am quite ready for that process yet. So I have been reading posts from the past three years looking for either a drop in LED replacement for the incan bulb or a replacement head containing an LED. However, after reading many of the posts in this thread I get the idea that there really isn't a great replacement LED for the M3??? My main goal for converting to LED was a little more lumens and a lot more run time! As a factory setup my M3 eats cr123s quickly. I have seen the posts about the Lumens Factory incan bulbs and the rechargeable batteries.

Is there a great LED replacement for the M3? And do the Lumens Factory bulbs outperform the expensive Surefire bulbs? Thanks for all the great info.

Rick

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I am new to this forum but have had an M3 for years, serial number A15453. I came here with the intent to look for LED conversion heads. I have read many of the threads about converting the M3 and installing your own LED and emitter. I don't think I am quite ready for that process yet. So I have been reading posts from the past three years looking for either a drop in LED replacement for the incan bulb or a replacement head containing an LED. However, after reading many of the posts in this thread I get the idea that there really isn't a great replacement LED for the M3??? My main goal for converting to LED was a little more lumens and a lot more run time! As a factory setup my M3 eats cr123s quickly. I have seen the posts about the Lumens Factory incan bulbs and the rechargeable batteries.

Is there a great LED replacement for the M3? And do the Lumens Factory bulbs outperform the expensive Surefire bulbs? Thanks for all the great info.

Rick

Yes, the Malkoff Devices MD10 is an excellent replacement for your M3. It's as easy to install as changing out the bulb.

As for the Lumens Factory bulbs, they perform well, but I don't know that I would say they are better than the Surefire bulbs.

:welcome:

NEW2LED

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire M3614

My non-bored M3 is powered by AW17500's and runs the MN10.

Is this your choice for the M3 because of lumen output, or runtime, or both? I am very interested in trying to improve on my M3's output and runtime. But without boring out the body or trying major modifications that are beyond my capabilities.

Billbo

Newly Enlightened
Malkoffs MD10 is a great Dropin! Only one mode. Perfect for tactical use.

If you are looking for 2 or 3 modes Tanas eM3t is a realy good Choice.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Re: Surefire M3614

Is this your choice for the M3 because of lumen output, or runtime, or both? I am very interested in trying to improve on my M3's output and runtime. But without boring out the body or trying major modifications that are beyond my capabilities.

It is a mixture of both. If I want more output and a little less run time, the LF HO-M3 bulb is great too, and with rechargeable batteries, just drop in a new set when it shuts off.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Piling on, I have a Surefire M3 that just arrived waiting for me at home. Tricked out with a TID! Can't wait to fire it up.

My only two 17500's live in my beloved Z3/Malkoff M61, so the M3 will use primaries for now. Going to take her out trick-or-treating with the kids on Friday.

My first Millenium series! (Not counting the M2 I flipped a couple years ago) Will take pics of this and the Z3 together. I love those 3-cell combat bodies.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rick
Lumens Factory recently announced a Turbo head for the M-series Surefires that will accommodate the standard M-series incandescent bulbs, as well as several new LED drop ins they released at the same time. Look for the thread "Shouldn't Lumens Factory have a turbo head?" in this forum. It was a few months ago.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got to play with the M3 that just arrived yesterday. After trying it out, I knew something was up. Pulled the lamp and sure enough... an eyebrow-scorching MN11 was inside. WOW! What a cannon. I've been out of the incan loop for so long, even my brightest LED lights looked cold and flat compared to this beauty.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got to play with the M3 that just arrived yesterday. After trying it out, I knew something was up. Pulled the lamp and sure enough... an eyebrow-scorching MN11 was inside. WOW! What a cannon. I've been out of the incan loop for so long, even my brightest LED lights looked cold and flat compared to this beauty.

If you have a single cell extender (A19), throw it on there and run the MN11 on 2x17670. I love me some MN11.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah heck, I'm still stuck in 2012. Order some 16650 Keepower cells. They have a smaller diameter than the 17670, and have greater capacity at 2,000 mah. Those plus an A19 would be perfect for the MN10/11!

bsg

Newly Enlightened
great thread, and good to see a lotta love for the M3.

mcm308

Enlightened
I had a NIB M3 I traded off thinking I wasnt going to use it. Well well, after getting an M4 and M6, I just had to get another M3 to go along with. I picked one uo from the MP with a 3 mode Nailbender XML I think. Not sure. The Nailbender is real tricky to get set into the head properly so I will probably grab another Z46 head for incan use and just swap heads when I want. I love my incans!!

Latest posts