SureFire rechargeables coming soon!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't really that new, SF announced these things at SHOT quite a few months ago. I believe they called it "dual fuel" technology.

That said, I'm dying to see what they ask for the UAR Aviator. The A2L is already a $300+ flashlight, I can't imagine it's going to get any cheaper.

Lapetus

Banned
Yeah they will no doubt hike up the prices even MORE for giving us all the privilege of using cells that we could already use in just about every other light for many years!

Aren't we all lucky.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the price of the UB3T, I would fathom the new lights to hover in the price range in the higher part of $400 to lower part of $500. Don't think I would pay for one as fast as what I would do with the LX2. Maybe I will wait out for more user feedbacks before hitting the nail.

Size15's

Flashaholic
This is not news - it is all covered in the SHOT Show 2011 thread(s) and shown in SureFire's 2011 catalog...

SureFire proposes four new rechargeable 'dutylights' based around a new rechargeable body and revolutionary 4-Function TailCap (4FTC):
UAR "Aviator"
UBR "Invictus"
UNR "Commander"
R1 "Lawman" (4FTC optional)

SureFire's proposed new Li-Ion rechargeable battery body looks set to feature a bespoke [proprietary] removable Li-Ion battery pack. It is so-shaped with a contacts tab/tongue that it will only fit and function in the battery body it is designed for. SureFire will also be offering a "lithium battery magazine" (cradle) for a pair of SF123As that can be used instead of the Li-Ion battery pack.

There is a socket for a plug-in (12V DC) power cable in the side of the body towards it's forward end near the fuel-gauge.

And SureFire Dealers should know better than to hype excitement for SureFire Vaporware - SureFire has strongly trended to releasing new products at or just after SHOT Shows [along with the proposed ideas for future products of course].

We all have plenty of experience of seeing SureFire Dealers and SureFire themselves being backed into a corner and 'forced' to give release dates we all know aren't going to happen. We shouldn't do this - it's not fair on them and it's not fair on ourselves.

If you want one of these proposed new SureFires the best way to go about this is to register your interest with your friendly SureFire Dealer (CPF-supporting of course), and ask them to keep one aside for you if/when they receive them and contact you to see whether you're still interested in purchasing it.

The saying goes - "It ain't released until my dealer has one ready to ship to me!"

Last edited:

Lapetus

Banned
Ah, so having seen the video from SHOT 2011 they are basically releasing a couple of lights with built in Li-ion batteries.

No support for RCR123, no support for 18650 and no support for 17650 cells that people can buy seperately?

Wonder if these built in cells will be covered under the legendary Surefire lifetime warranty?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they're not priced competitively with the top two rechargeable duty lights: Streamlights Stinger and Pelican's 7060, these new SF's will not be popular with the LEO targeted end user (10x Dominator was. flop in the LEO market) and i dont think the military market is strong enough to support these lights.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If they're not priced competitively with the top two rechargeable duty lights: Streamlights Stinger and Pelican's 7060, these new SF's will not be popular with the LEO targeted end user (10x Dominator was. flop in the LEO market) and i dont think the military market is strong enough to support these lights.
SureFire has had plenty of time since developing their last dutylight range to research and prepare for their re-entry into this market sector so it'll be interesting the impact these proposed new products make won't it.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, I'm dying to see what they ask for the UAR Aviator. The A2L is already a $300+ flashlight, I can't imagine it's going to get any cheaper.

I don't think I've ever seen another pilot with an A2L and if the UAR is over $50 (yep, fifty) I don't think you'll see many of these on the flight line either.:)

Maybe some rich doctor with a V-tail Bonanza and a Sporty's Pilot Shop catalog in his pocket will pay $500 for a light but I don't think a professional pilot will. Unless, of course, he, she (or it, to be fashionably inclusive) hangs out here...:thumbsup:

Lapetus

Banned
The new ones have a 4 way switch that looks interesting.

Not for me. Push the switch side ways? No thanks. Just overloading one switch with too many functions.

Selector ring or multiple switches sounds far better.

But then again they would not be "proprietary" or "revolutionary"

Erzengel

Enlightened
The 4FTC addresses the main issue with the normal two stage twisty, named tumb fatigue. It still offers instant access to high mode if You need in a tactical situation ("tactical" in a LE context). If you need light for longer time, You just push the switch to any side while it is on.
Every flashlight company operating under a rather strict product liability law will be safer, if they provide a proprietary battery solution, if they don't use NiMHs.
If they provide a usable charging cradle for the car with the ability to charge a spare set of rechargeables, they can become very useful LEO duty lights.

Lapetus

Banned
Every flashlight company operating under a rather strict product liability law will be safer, if they provide a proprietary battery solution, if they don't use NiMHs.

Why do you think this?

Erzengel

Enlightened
Just look in the Batteries/Smoke and Fire subforum. There are many people who will put 4$ 18650s in a 300$ light. If the light goes up in flames, some of them will sue the manufacturer of the light some compensation (the battery worked in one laptop and many other lights before the explosion). No matter how the case ends, it can create some negative PR for the flashlight manufacturer.
At the moment there is a development, that some flashlight manufacturers develop/sell their own lineup of chargers and rechargeables, 4Sevens and Jetbeam/Nitecore come to my mind.