Surefire Titan T1A

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Titan T1A - latest news?

Not trying to start a fight here, but is there a legitimate reason why
this little aluminum light costs $240.00?

Does it have a fantastic UI or something?

Or is it just the Surefire name?

I really like this light, but it costs more then the Ti Arc AAA!!

The Arc and T1A are not even close to the same. (IMO)
The UI on the T1A is supposed to be infinately variable as you twist the head.
I'd still have to try one out in person to see if it is worth the price.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine, strong purple tint but what do you expect for $239?:) The tint is nostalgic, looks kinda like one of Peter G.'s early Arcs. There is the slight yellow corona around the purple hotspot, probably a characteristic of what looks like an SSC P4 emitter.

The beam is silky smooth with a gentle transition to the brighter center, looks good both near and far. The reflector has a mild orange peel texture.

This light will dim more than any other Surefire I've seen, great for night spec ops like sneaking off to bed without waking the wife. Also, the smooth near beam is wonderful for things like reading a star chart with night adapted eyes. I've got a couple of Henry's lights handy for comparison, the T1A dims well below the lowest preprogrammed level on those lights.

I can't detect any PWM flicker or color shift (it stays purple as the light goes to the dimmer levels :grin2:).

The finish of the light is black and slightly shiny compared to the matte black body of a SF E1B. As with other new generation SF's there is no knurling. Switch action is smooth with friction, a soft detent at the off position. According to the instruction booklet, the light will automatically turn off in five minutes when on the lowest 25% power settings. I've accidentally turned Henry's lights to a low level rather than off. Still, since the low levels will take up to days to run down the battery, I think I'd like maybe 30 minutes or an hour before auto shutoff.

The T1A comes with a full size black hand lanyard and a black split ring. I might put a nano clip on the split ring so I can put the Titan on a key chain or neck lanyard.

Nice boutique type light, a little pricey for what you get, I see it is on a set of BMW keys in one of the SF marketing photos.

I'll take the light on the road tonight for a few days, see how it performs.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to the instruction booklet, the light will automatically turn off in five minutes when on the lowest 25% power settings.

What!? You mean, you can't use this light to read with? You can't use it as an emergency night light, unless it's over 25%? Well, I guess I'll have to see how bright 26% is. :nana: The only problem is, how will I know when I'm at that point with no detent? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that feature a bit. Let's see, you get a super low, low. But only for 5 minutes. :( I've been having fun with my M1X due to the fact that you can set it to any level you want. I've used it a lot at it's lowest level. I can't imagine it shutting off on me every five minutes. :sigh:

Thanks for the info!

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

What!? You mean, you can't use this light to read with? You can't use it as an emergency night light, unless it's over 25%?

I've learned on other CPF threads never to question the wisdom of PK's power management schemes.:eek: It is possible that this was added because the twisty switch seems to have a very soft off detent and could easily be bumped 'on' in the pocket.

It would be nice to be able to deselect the auto off feature, the dim settings are more likely to be used continuously I would think.

Anybody tried a rechargeable battery in the light yet? SF in times past was notorious for not supporting lithium ion rechargeables, supposedly for safety. Of course, they sell primary CR123A's.

Nowadays, with ammo manufacturers making green bullets, I would imagine Surefire will soften their rechargeable stand to help stop global warming. A recent vintage SF U2 works fine on AW rechageables but an E1B does not.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened

Bluish tint? Noooooooo.... Me no likes angry blue LEDs. Even from my favorite flashlight company.

.... but the smooth infinite brightness levels with no flicker is very nice.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I assume they used the U2 bin P4 for this light, not pleased with the news of the purplish tint.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened

Then why don't you start a new thread instead of hijacking this one. Invariably, every thread on the Surefire Titan gets hijacked by someone who just has to point out how expensive it is.

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack, and no, I am not knocking Surefire, I
actually thought there was something about this light I didnt know.

That's why I asked, not to be a wise-*** :nana:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack, and no, I am not knocking Surefire, I
actually thought there was something about this light I didnt know.

The Titan T1a is the least expensive option of the 3 lights on the market that uses a dial that works like an old-timey stereo volume knob to adjust the brightness. The other lights are the original Titanium Titan CR2 (>$500) and the Gatlight series.

Some would consider this the best possible UI, it is apparently much harder to implement in a small package than you would think, hence the cost. (efficiency and reliability are two issues)

Did you read Henry's "White paper" I linked you to download? He suggests that infinite variability is actually a bad idea because of "brightness creep". I found it theoretically annoying because I had no idea what my runtimes might be in the middle levels. Hence why I asked about the detent. The Saint is supposed to have a detent at 10lm or 30lm (I have heard both)

I actually much prefer the 6 position dial switch of the SPY to infinite and would love to see that implemented in a cylindrical form like the T1A. But everybody is different. I personnel don't like the so called infinite levels on the D10 and others and would prefer the same UI but with about 7 well spaced levels to scroll though instead of 100+. Imagine if the volume button on your TV remote went from min to max in under 4 seconds and had a 0.3 sec delay before you could release it or it would turn the TV off. It would be impossible to get the right listening level. At least the dial of the Titan is a better implementation of the "infinite" concept.

DM51

Flashaholic

What!? You mean, you can't use this light to read with? You can't use it as an emergency night light, unless it's over 25%? Well, I guess I'll have to see how bright 26% is. :nana: The only problem is, how will I know when I'm at that point with no detent? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that feature a bit. Let's see, you get a super low, low. But only for 5 minutes. :( I've been having fun with my M1X due to the fact that you can set it to any level you want. I've used it a lot at it's lowest level. I can't imagine it shutting off on me every five minutes. :sigh:
The low-level shut-off was implemented to minimise the risk of heat-sink fatigue, a problem that has been observed in prototype high-frequency PWM lights.

The extremely high PWM frequencies necessary to produce low-light levels with minimal flicker can produce corresponding thermal shock cycling and high-frequency resonance in the heat-sink. This can lead to a breakdown of the metallurgical structure of the alloy, leading to reduced thermal conduction properties and sometimes to complete failure of the heat-sink, not dissimilar to other types of metal fatigue - a localised catastrophic metallurgical failure first observed in the 1950s with the de Havilland Comet aircraft (and in other cases since then).

Research is currently being undertaken into the problem of heat-sink fatigue in Cu-Cr-Zr and Sn-Ag-Cu alloys. It is thought that use of incorrect thermal epoxy compounds can exacerbate the problem, but it is not known whether or not the presence of Chip Weevils has a contributory deleterious effect.

Last edited:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, I hadn't heard about a 5 minute auto shutoff on the lower levels. That is a total deal breaker for me. If there is no way to defeat that, SF just saved me $250! :party: :sick2:

I also wouldn't spend $50 on a light with a strong blue tint, let alone $250. I'll have to wait until milkyspit is modding them, I guess.... unless it's going to shut off in 5 minutes 90% of the time I'm using it, in which case I guess I won't. :duh2: :ohgeez:

Boy am I sorry I read this thread today!!! :sick:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder what the 25% means? On the original Titan that I owned the first 1/4 turn or so after on was all dedicated to lumen values under 1 lm. The lowest level was like a tritium dot.

I had it turn on by itself or I forgot to turn it all the way off once and the low is so low I didn't even realize it was on. A week or two later when I went to use it the battery was dead. At least I am guessing that is what happended.

Dan FO

Enlightened

The low-level shut-off was implemented to minimise the risk of heat-sink fatigue, a problem that has been observed in prototype high-frequency PWM lights.

The extremely high PWM frequencies necessary to produce low-light levels with minimal flicker can produce corresponding thermal shock cycling and high-frequency resonance in the heat-sink. This can lead to a breakdown of the metallurgical structure of the alloy, leading to reduced thermal conduction properties and sometimes to complete failure of the heat-sink, not dissimilar to other types of metal fatigue - a localised catastrophic metallurgical failure first observed in the 1950s with the de Havilland Comet aircraft (and in other cases since then).

Research is currently being undertaken into the problem of heat-sink fatigue in Cu-Cr-Zr and Sn-Ag-Cu alloys. It is thought that use of incorrect thermal epoxy compounds can exacerbate the problem, but it is not known whether or not the presence of Chip Weevils has a contributory deleterious effect.
So the bottom line is chip weevils, all that to get to the chip weevils. :devil:

Chip weevils are not a problem unless peanut butter is used as the hardener in the formulation of the epoxy however a simple switch to cheese has been found to cure this phenomenon. Cheddar has been found to work the best by the scientific community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtuqjFf7-N4

DM51

Flashaholic

Aw, man. I've been busted, lol. But I had to leave a clue, or it wouldn't have been fair.

You've got to admit it was quite convincing, though.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking his post was 27 days late, but thought they might have time distortional effects over in Area DM51. That's what you get for traveling faster than the speed of light.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't know about them prototype lights but Henry's models seem to work fine for hours and days at low levels, I've used them for night lights in a remote mountain cabin. PWM is widely used at radio frequencies and above in digital communications, perhaps the freqs are too high for the electromechanical coupling to cause 'heat-sink fatigue'.

It is sad if the T1A can only run for five minutes at low levels due to design issues. Is this flaw perhaps what delayed the release?

I took the plunge for the good of the CPF community and tried a rechargeable AW CR123 in the T1A. Nothing, it would not light at all (or flicker like with the E1B). I put the original battery back in and it works as before.

The light is nice but kinda in an odd niche. A little too big for my keychain (a Fenix LD01 Stainless will stay there). It is great in the pocket but is a lot less bright than a Ra Clicky. The low levels are neat, particularly with the continuous twisty interface but, if they suddenly turn off after only five minutes, I don't think I'd trust them for even a latrine visit. The documentation indicates that you can reset the light by turning it off and then on, but every five minutes?

Anyway, it's a nice gadget, has the prestigious Surefire name on the side and is sure to appeal to a small upscale segment of the market.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened

Are other tint options available?

If the pics are accurate, I cant handle that blue!!!!

jhanko

Enlightened

Is anyone stocking these yet, or are they just trickling in for pre-orders?

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wasn't Chip Weevils an ABC Sports announcer back in the 70s? I really used to dig those plaid jackets.