Surefire UM2 Ultra

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I am very impressed although I've had it all of an hour. I'll try to take some pictures whenever I get a sunny day outside comparing the two side by side. I hope to mail it off in a couple of weeks to get it bored out to accept an 18650 but I don't know if I'm ready to let it go just yet.
Before you try to bore it you should check if the 18650 cell will fit in the "outer threads" of the UM2 head. I'm not 100% sure, but I might checked this and found out this outer threads are not wide enough for a 18650 cell.
The outer thread of a U2 is if I remember correctly wider than the UM2 outer threads. Both battery tubes are also not compatible. You can not put on the U2 body the UM2 head.

Oh another thing I should mention is that the Surefire diffuser I use for my U2 (not sure of the part number off hand) fits the UM2 perfectly!
The Surefire Holster V91 also fits perfectly. This holster fits for Kroma / U2 and UM2. The Diffuser / Filter / Beamcover is the 1.47 Inch version FM6x

Last edited:

JBA

Newly Enlightened
For some reason I thought I had replied to this the other day but apparently not. So just for the heck of it, I tried a 17670 I have and at first I was elated because it was working perfectly on high! Until I realized I was on the second to the highest setting :( Still plenty bright but the highest setting with the 17670 does the same thing, oscillates between two settings. From what I can tell, it looks like the 18650 would fit fine on the UM2 (after boring) with plenty of thread left. Would there be anything gained by having it bored out for the 18650? Just longer run times? Anyway, glad to see the UM2 is truly an upgrade to the U2 with the accessories working for both lights; I have both the V91 holster and the diffuser :D

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, bore it to 18mm and use the highest capacity 18350s around, that should work. Decent runtimes on max too.

18350 from Xtar tested by HKJ to give around 950mAh at 1Amp would give good performance.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, bore it to 18mm and use the highest capacity 18350s around, that should work. Decent runtimes on max too.

18350 from Xtar tested by HKJ to give around 950mAh at 1Amp would give good performance.
Unfortunately i don't think that battery is available anymore(rated by xtar 900mAh). They have another good one, but less capacity.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running my UM2 on Olight RCR123A's since I got it. They give full output, are readily available here in the U.S. and when they weaken the UM2 gives plenty of notice by stepping down on the high levels. :twothumbs

kssmith

Enlightened
I started using the Olight RCR123 batteries in mine as well, however mine is kind like the old-school Surefire, in that whenever the battery gets too low it just shuts off. I don't get a warning. It actually scared me to first time that it happened. I thought that something had destroyed my light.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started using the Olight RCR123 batteries in mine as well, however mine is kind like the old-school Surefire, in that whenever the battery gets too low it just shuts off. I don't get a warning. It actually scared me to first time that it happened. I thought that something had destroyed my light.

I don't run my UM2 on the highest setting for long so maybe that's why it doesn't shut down abruptly. I do have a 200 lumen EB1 that will suddenly go dark on high with the Olight RCR's, I'm guessing the battery PTC module gets triggered thermally rather than by low voltage in this case.

I'm saving my primary CR123A's for Y3K. ;) But it is great to have rechargeables for normal use and be able to fall back on primaries in case you are away from a charging source for a while.

Mr.Freeze

Enlightened
...got mine today:

IMG_20170113_180135.jpg

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on a great pair Mr. Freeze! Been thinking about picking one up to complement my Dominator also. Have the new Minimus on the way so the UM2 will have to wait a while. Nothing like the Dominator! :thumbsup:

Mr.Freeze

Enlightened
thank you!

well, the dominator is really impressive.
the details of both, are what i expect from surefire! it's really state of the art.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunter, also I have to say you have a great pair of Surefires! I also love my UM2. For me it is the best flashlight I bought in 2016 :D. Also nice to see there are Dominators in Germany ... :)

Mr.Freeze

Enlightened
thank you!

the um2 was not official sold here in germany! at the end of 2016 i was very close to order from arms unlimited and as though by chance this one appears around here.

well, some guys suggest the brightes place in germany is 48°51' N / 8°33' E :naughty:

Mr.Freeze

Enlightened
@ genna: wow - really nice!

...could be possible to "see" each other. but imagine how many people will call 110 (911) in case of a "bright whatever" moving very fast in the dark sky... *lol*

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
Genna, the UM2 will sit nicely in the Hellfighter handle! Dream set there.........:D:thumbsup:

Awesome idea! Thank you [emoji1303][emoji1303]

It's nice to see so many SureFire Dominators! I bet if we all turned ours on, we could signal one another:)

I think a try is worth! [emoji41]

@ genna: wow - really nice!

...could be possible to "see" each other. but imagine how many people will call 110 (911) in case of a "bright whatever" moving very fast in the dark sky... *lol*

Thank you! You're right! In Stuttgart I see sometimes in the night a beam appears...it seems I'm not alone [emoji23]

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I took the plunge and ordered one of these lights. I didn't even know they existed until stumbling into this thread a few days ago, but I really like the older Surefire styling and especially the selector ring. I previously owned a UB3T and a UNR Commander and loved the selector rings on those, but those lights were just too large and I found myself not using them much. The UM2 appears to be that same great concept but scaled down into a more reasonably sized light, and something I would be more likely to carry on my person.

Another feature (or lack thereof) I appreciate about the UM2 is the absence of blinking modes like strobe or SOS. I have no real use for these modes and they were too easy to activate on the UNR and UB3T.

And as I typed, I just received the shipping notification for my UM2. Pretty excited for this one.

Latest posts