Surefire V1 Vampire (Once upon a time "dual output")

Bismarck

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!
I'm new here and after several searches on the site I didn't find a similar thread for this problem about this particular model.
About three years ago I bought a SureFire V1 Vampire, with a KM1-D head capable of White and IR light and dual-output mode.
Everything was fine until one day the flashlight decided to goes off and never turn on again (faulty head).
So I contacted SureFire for an RMA.
Very kindly and professionally they repaired my flashlight at no cost and shipped it back to me with a brand new head but different model, in particular the KM1-E.
For what I know the difference between the KM1-D and KM1-E is just the way you can switch from WH to IR, the new model doesn't require to pull the head so I thought "wonderful!".
But in reality there was an other difference, apparently the KM1-E doesn't have the dual-output ability.
So what I have now is a tactical flashlight that can operate only in "high" mode.
I'm a bit disappointed cause the original Vampire was a different flashlight and "Low" mode was really useful.
I would not like to send it back cause I live in Italy and shipping to US is very expensive and after all I don't even know if they could accept a new RMA.
So my question is:
There is a way (regardless the warranty) to convert this head in a dual output module?
The informations regarding this head are quite scarce and I have not even been able to find any indication on how to tear down this unit.
Can someone help me in some way?
The old KM1-D unit is no longer available, so buying a new one is not an option...

Thank You a lot for your time!

Marco

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try to get it replaced with the original head...after all you bought the light for it's dual level AND dual wavelength output. What they gave you back was not that. Maybe they don't have any heads to use as replacements for yours but that's not YOUR problem. At the very least I think you should press them to get a refund if you can't get it fixed.

Afraid.of.dark

Newly Enlightened
Refund or they give you what you were under the impression of buying.

It is that simple. Why would they sell you something other than what it should be? I think that you should press them to fix the problem or give you your money back.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.surefire.com/policies/warranty/

"Should you need a replacement product, SureFire reserves the right to replace an obsolete product with a current production, like model. In the event that any issue with a SureFire product is not covered under this warranty SureFire can arrange to have the product repaired for a reasonable fee."

I don't think it's fair to expect a refund after 3 years. They replaced it with a new flashlight after 3 years. You could either ask for repair and pay the cost, or sell the new unit on eBay and buy the previous model :).

Last edited:

Bismarck

Newly Enlightened
I agree that asking for a refund or an other RMA probably isn't fair at this point, however it's really strange what they have done.
The V1 Vampire is a model that is still in production and with the same characteristics of mine bought 3 years ago (at least the V1-B) and the KM1-E unit is sold for 255$ on the main SF site. So why?
However, my intention is to not resend this flashlight overseas again, that's why I've asked for informations on how to disassembly or convert in some way this head in a dual-output lamp.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Marco
20210101_192557.jpg

Alpha Pews

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!
I'm new here and after several searches on the site I didn't find a similar thread for this problem about this particular model.
About three years ago I bought a SureFire V1 Vampire, with a KM1-D head capable of White and IR light and dual-output mode.
Everything was fine until one day the flashlight decided to goes off and never turn on again (faulty head).
So I contacted SureFire for an RMA.
Very kindly and professionally they repaired my flashlight at no cost and shipped it back to me with a brand new head but different model, in particular the KM1-E.
For what I know the difference between the KM1-D and KM1-E is just the way you can switch from WH to IR, the new model doesn't require to pull the head so I thought "wonderful!".
But in reality there was an other difference, apparently the KM1-E doesn't have the dual-output ability.
So what I have now is a tactical flashlight that can operate only in "high" mode.
I'm a bit disappointed cause the original Vampire was a different flashlight and "Low" mode was really useful.
I would not like to send it back cause I live in Italy and shipping to US is very expensive and after all I don't even know if they could accept a new RMA.
So my question is:
There is a way (regardless the warranty) to convert this head in a dual output module?
The informations regarding this head are quite scarce and I have not even been able to find any indication on how to tear down this unit.
Can someone help me in some way?
The old KM1-D unit is no longer available, so buying a new one is not an option...

Thank You a lot for your time!

Marco
Hi buddy, in short no. Surefire moved over to single. Output for the vampire heads and sadly. The low outputs are less common for tactical weapon lights. I have the KM2C and it's the same. Twist and go situation.