survival keychain lighter, GB interest list FULL

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregon

Enlightened
Re: survival keychain lighter, GB interest list

Knighthood said:
2 or more depending on prices - Washington state here. Does it refill ? And if so what kind of fuel ? Will it work at zero degree ?

Thanks !!!

Think minature xippo. The center pulls out of its tube to reveal the flint tube and fuel cotton filled chamber. I used Ronsonol liquid lighter fuel from the $ store. I sure hope it will fire-up when its cold.

oregon

Radio

Modulated Moderator

oregon said:
Think minature xippo. The center pulls out of its tube to reveal the flint tube and fuel cotton filled chamber. I used Ronsonol liquid lighter fuel from the $ store. I sure hope it will fire-up when its cold.

oregon
Any word on spare flints? Does it take standard ones?

oregon

Enlightened

Radio said:
Any word on spare flints? Does it take standard ones?

I removed the flint from the lighter shown in the pictures above. The spring is rubust so watch out and the screw is brass but small enough to fly away with the spring. I can't say if it is standard or not. It was frustrating getting it back in with my bumbling fingers. Finally used small pliers to set in on the hole then pushed the flint down with a tiny screwdriver.

Let me know what tests you want to see run on the capsule lighter. I can get flints at Safeway or maybe a smoke shop at the mall and see if I can insert them into the capsule lighter's flint tube.

oregon

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic

how long does the lighter hold fluid without evaporating?

oregon

Enlightened

cy said:
how long does the lighter hold fluid without evaporating?

My guess would be until the rubber o-ring degrades (years perhaps). The only opening screws together with a rubber o-ring making the lighter air-tight. The idea is: fall overboard, fall in the lake, break thru the ice over the stream, trip while crossing a stream during the winter (i actuall did this on a run in the Gorge about 7 miles from the car) or anything else that douses you and you still have a lighter that works. Probably won't matter is you drown but if you survive and make it to tinder then you can make fire.

Anyone else read Jack London's "To Build a Fire?" There are two versions. One for children and one for adults (the adult one still bothers me when I recall the story (there appears to be an actual limit to how loyal your dog will be given unfortunate circumstances).

oregon

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic

for sure in for two , if this is true

bane of all fluid lighters is how fast fluid evaporates. I do have a few fluid lighters from 50's and 60's that hold fluid for months.

oregon said:
My guess would be until the rubber o-ring degrades (years perhaps). The only opening screws together with a rubber o-ring making the lighter air-tight. The idea is: fall overboard, fall in the lake, break thru the ice over the stream, trip while crossing a stream during the winter (i actuall did this on a run in the Gorge about 7 miles from the car) or anything else that douses you and you still have a lighter that works. Probably won't matter is you drown but if you survive and make it to tinder then you can make fire.

Anyone else read Jack London's "To Build a Fire?" There are two versions. One for children and one for adults (the adult one still bothers me when I recall the story (there appears to be an actual limit to how loyal your dog will be given unfortunate circumstances).

oregon

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the fuel will not evaporate even after I play with it a few times, I'd probably be in for a couple depending on price.

oregon said:

oregon

oregon

Enlightened

Perfectionist said:
How soon will you know pricing ??

Any chance you could also do a group buy on these too !! :D http://www.permanentmatch.com/home.html

I'll know the price when I receive delivery. Note: see my pricing model at "interested party" list.

The order was paid for and placed at the factory last week. They should be manufactured and ship (via EMS) to me next week. When they have cleared customs and I have paid fees and duties associated with the customs process I will know the price.

There is somewhat of a language barrier with the "permanent match." I believe it is called the "strikes match light" by the manufacturer but I am not certain. A GB could be possible if there was sufficient interest. Let us see how the vendor, customs and I do on this one first.

oregon

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened

ready006.jpg

I just received a box of bubble mailers with peel-and-stick ends ($0.10 each). And, a bunch of appropriately sized ziplock baggies ($0.03 each). My return address print-peel-&-stick labels are ready to apply. So, I am on the ready line. Just need the lighters.

Postage: CONUS is $0.63 (one lighter with mailer is between 1-2 oz.) and each additional ounce is $.24. Insurance is $1.35 (if wanted). Delivery confirmation is $0.60 (if wanted).

Postage: Outside USA:
Canada: Global Priority (small) $4.25
Australia, Netherlands & United Kingdom: Global Priority (small) $5.25

Oh, yea, I've been carrying and using the lighter daily. Love it. It fired up in the wind today in an open field at the wildlife refuge (saw two Bald Eagles in a tree). Don't smell the lighter fluid at all since it is sealed. I haven't added any fuel. It arrived dry. I should have weighed it before I filled it. Figure one ounce per unit.

oregon

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened

LESLIEx317537 said:

I don't know for certain, I haven't been here at CPF that long, but I think that this way of doing a foreign group buy is unusual: target is acquired first and then the group buys-in. Costs are simply divided by the number of units acquired.

No money is made by anyone in the group and we have buying power.

I have high expectations for low final cost. Where else have you seen these for $1.24 shipped from the manufacturer?

Anyway, thanks leslie and you are welcome.

oregon

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

5 for me if available

GoingGear.com

Enlightened

I'll take 10, if they are around $2 each, as it looks like they will be. These will make fantastic gifts to my outdoorsy friends.

If these sell out and you need someone else to pony up the initial cash for a group buy, let me know. I love things like this and would be glad to help the community.

oregon

Enlightened

Radio said:
When do I send PP for my TEN? :goodjob:
I bumped you from 3 units to 10 to ten units.

I will open a proper Group Buy thread in the Group Buy forum when I receive delivery. I bot the production run, so they are being made, once made they get shipped to either Seattle or Portland customs (depends on which flight they are on), then they must clear customs and I pay the duty and any other charges associated with the customs process, finally they come to my post office box.

When I have them I will know the unit cost and I will post my paypal info and ask for everyone to submit their mailing address so I can make a mailing label run. You should probably opt for priority mail @ $4.05 due to your 10 units weight. If not then $.063 + (9 x $0.24) = $2.79. Do Boston postal workers play rough with your mail? (speaking of Boston: loved "The Departed." If you had to chose which character most closely resembles you?)

I hope this format of the foreign group buy works well for everyone. You benefit from lack of risk until it becomes a sure thing (no worries). I benefit by being able to buy in quantity. We both benefit by keeping the cost down. Note: with Kai handling my payment, negotiating the price, placing the order and shipping to this shore I feel secure. I have researched the customs process for this low value shipment and believe that customs won't cause me grief and that the cost will be small.

Anyway, thank you for letting me give this format a try. I value your support. We shall see how it goes.

If this is a success then perhaps it will be a template for future foreign group buys. If it melts down then hopefully it will be a learning experience.

oregon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts