Teenagers and locked doors

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand.

Kids don't shower after gym class? Or do they have some sort of shower stall arrangement (I'm also guessing that this probably varies between various school districts.)

Granted it's been the better part of 40 years, but high schools and middle school male phys. ed. students don't shower in group showers anymore?

If the example that you cited is specific to your local sports complex, then I'd guess that the the school coaches may be somewhat derelict in their duties. At least in my day, part of a gym teacher's responsibility included teaching students about personal hygiene (including protection against sexually transmitted diseases.) As a matter of fact, the gym teachers used to take roll at the showers to make sure each kid showered.

bwaites said:
Brighteyez,

Kid's DON'T shower together.

We recently built a new team room complex for our sports teams at the town coliseum. The home team showers have been used, but just by the coaches. The kids don't shower, even the ones getting on a bus to travel 2 hours or more home!

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH, Brighteyez, this is a whole new century, where MAKING students do anything is no longer acceptable, especially if it involves anything remotely involving their bodies, making them uncomfortable, etc.

Our facility actually has separate stalls, means nothing, nobody uses them.

So far as I can tell, in discussions with friends who live spread across the country, no school districts require kids to shower, either boys or girls, after PE or anything else.

It's a brave new world out there!

Bill

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Granted it's been the better part of 40 years, but high schools and middle school male phys. ed. students don't shower in group showers anymore?
I NEVER have and NEVER will. Yes, I prefer to stink for hours after exercise than to shower with anyone. Those seens you see on TV where all the guys are in the locker room some with towels, some without,,, NEVER. 40 years ago, I probably would have avoided sport altogether.

Anyhow, Alex please don't expect that things will change if you advise the kid. Try as hard as you can to help but try not to be dissapointed if nothing happens.

Last edited:

LowWorm

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I'm not sure I understand.

Kids don't shower after gym class? Or do they have some sort of shower stall arrangement (I'm also guessing that this probably varies between various school districts.)

Don't know about your state, but in Utah there have been a few well- publicized incidents of locker-room hazing that have been public relations nightmares for school administrators and their districts. Faculties may be of the opinion that the potential harm of group or even open showering (hazing, bullying, sexual harassment, etc.) outweighs the traditional benefits (good hygeine).

It is a different world out there, and not necessarily for the worse. I don't know of any boy who ever thought that group showering was one of the indispensable highlights of his high school experience. And if the schools really cared about a kid's health and hygeine, they should require teeth-brushing after lunch and get rid of all the soda and candy in the machines, too.