The best torch (I own) for nightime bush survival is the Zebralight H501

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened
Re: The best torch (I own) for nightime bush survival is...

For the water purification end of things, what about those "military water purification tablets"? If they work as well as claimed, then you wouldn't have to worry about carrying a metal container to boil in. I've never had any experience with them but they seem like an option worth looking into.

AusKipper

Enlightened

For the water purification end of things, what about those "military water purification tablets"? If they work as well as claimed, then you wouldn't have to worry about carrying a metal container to boil in. I've never had any experience with them but they seem like an option worth looking into.

They unfortunately have a shortish shelf life, and i dont like things with a shelf life :) (because I would forget to cycle etc, constantly having to buy more etc etc)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent write-up and a good read.

I like my Zebralight H30 a lot too. It came with a warm Q5 that works OK outside - nothing like truly neutral or warm emitters, but good enough. It's lack of throw as you found out is limiting for searching quickly (if that is all you have). You have to walk more of a search pattern looking close to you to find things like fire & shelter materials. That's fine as you have found if you have other lights like you had, but I try to plan for failure of my primary lights (and backups).
So I prefer a more balanced beam for all around use in case I am stuck with only one remaining light - especially my headlight. I have modded a PT EOS with a 15 degree optic and Luxeon SV1H star that gives it a well balanced beam for distance on high (and even medium) but great moderate flood with a soft spot on low. Too floody is a waste of lumens to me. I often have to use the H30 on medium when I would still be using the EOS on low - negating its efficiency & runtime advantage. Of course I don't like the bigger size, order of modes (hi-med-low), and 3AAA power of the EOS, so the search for the great 1AA or 1CR123 headlight with good balance of features continues.

Interesting use of the flashing mode of the TK. I typically carry a Novatac for a locator beacon (EOS as backup beacon) on trips. A long pause-short flash beacon is great for that.

Multi-modes are essential unless you have a couple of complimentary lights - one with low only maybe.

Hey old what are numbers 3, 4, & 5 in that picture (the small ones?

3= Counterfeit A20 Ultrafire [ Now moded to SSC P7 ]
4= Q5 5mode Twisty Mod
5= Ultrafire 602C

All are 1xCR123A 3.7v

Tony Hanna

Newly Enlightened

They unfortunately have a shortish shelf life, and i dont like things with a shelf life :) (because I would forget to cycle etc, constantly having to buy more etc etc)

I wasn't aware of the shelf life and I completely understand. It would really stink to be in a SHTF situation and then get sick on top of it because the water tabs had expired.:( I can see how the finite usability could play into it long-term also (running out of tabs vs. being able to boil water indefinitely with a metal cup).
Oh well, figured them worth mention anyway.:)

Egsise

Banned

Nice test AusKipper, I have missed that totally.
My setup for hunting etc. is quite similar:
ZL H50(Q5, I wish it would be 5A)
TK20(Q2 5A)
Preordered Quark AA Q3 5A(Slow beacon, FINALLY!)

All use AA NiMH, lithiums for emergency.
Diffuser cones for TK20 and Quark AA are a must.
Those three are not too heavy if I have to carry them 5-10 miles a day.

I'm thinking of buying the Fenix headband, ZL H50 should fit in it, Quark AA on the side...

AusKipper

Enlightened

ZL H50(Q5, I wish it would be 5A)

My Zebra is a Q5 (ie, not a warm version) and I like it just fine.

It has good color rendition compared to the Gerber, which spits out some nasty blue light...

I have never had (or seen) a warm (or neutral) H50/501 so I cant really compare but I imagine I would be just as happy with the Q5 as the 5A.

AusKipper

Enlightened

I wasn't aware of the shelf life and I completely understand.

Yeah, i'm not sure if the shelf life is "real" or not, ie sugar has use-by dates on the pack, but we all know it stores pretty much indefinitely. I know bleach actually does deteriorate over time, but i'm not sure about the chlorine/iodine tablets.... I would rather not take the chance :)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I have used both the H501w and TK20 in the woods camping and on night hikes. Found the H501w near prefect for camp but not so good bushwhacking as the flood light does not have enough throw and have been turned around a few times testing it out for this purpose. For a real warm tint fun time try both the H501w and TK20. The TK20 is more throw than flood so the H501w on low or medium illuminates the ground and area around me as the TK20 does the throw. Both on high is total warm tint illumination! But to be honest if I am counting ounces the TK20 gets left home. On the gear the Bic lighter works great. I have found lost Bics in the woods and the darn things still work once dried off. They do have issues during winter camping and need to be warmed in my pocket or hands first. Don't be so fast to bash good old campfire smoke. Seems bugs don't like it either and this is a good thing. Also a better setup and fuel selection can help produce a cleaner burning fire and it helps to not be sitting in the direction of the prevailing winds. A sil nylon poncho is also a nice gear items. Dehydration is a killer for sure. I would run the risk of drinking unfiltered water rather than going without for days. But you can get an "Aquamira® FRONTIER™ Personal Survival Water Filter Straw"

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good read - I always like preparedness info. I've known about the vaseline covered cotton balls for quite a while but have not added that to my EDC. I'm thinking I'll go for one of those little tubes of vaseline and a hand full of cotton balls squashed down into a plastic zip lock bag. That way I can make them as needed and the vaseline won't get on other things or melt off in a bag (as I think it might do under hot summer temps). My EDC is probably bigger than a lot of people would have but I think the idea of keeping a small tube with the cotton balls separate may work for smaller kits too if you take less cotton and a partial vasleline tube rolled up. I think I've seen these as small as finger size - might be the ones made for lip balm.

While I haven't used it much (recently acquired) I think FirstLight USA's angle head flashlight might be a good combination of a very small light that can be clipped on pants, shirt etc with a forward light pattern that has both throw and a lot of light or can be held with the finger loop making it somewhat of a cross between a headlamp and a hand held all in one unit. It's a fairly unique light that hasn't had a lot of attention on CPF and this might be a good unit for such situations. I'm not sure it would be my first choice since I haven't used it enough to know how useful it will be in a real survival situation but I think it's worth mentioning.

The Tomohawk is a very good light. I don't edc it a lot though because it takes up too much space on my belt, though the reality is, it still is quite small. Here's a comparison of the lights. Background is squares are 1 inch.
P7155910.jpg

I have the clip removed from the Tomohawk.

AusKipper

Enlightened

Whats that rubber looking thing on the head of the Zebralight? Did the hold H50 come with that? or is it home made? I assume its to protect the light/stop the light getting in your own eyes correct?

The most fancy home made modification I ever make to my torches is wrapping them in gaffa tape to keep my hands warm/stop it getting scratched, but that looks like it would do a better job at protecting it (at least if you had one on the tail as well...)

Woods_Walker: If I am going into the bush intentionally I take a backpack with all that fancy stuff in it (including my TK20 :p ). If I had had my backpack with me I could have survived in comfort easily for 2+ weeks.

If it had been summer I only have 5 litres of water so that again would kill me before 2 weeks is up. No running creeks in my area in summer. Maybe I could have dug down, but I think water would be my death again, unless a bush fire killed me first.

(only 5 litres of water lol, its nearly 1/4 of my pack weight)

If I had to grab and go in a hurry I would only have 3 litres of water because I dont keep the water bladder full. Still, better than none.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

The zebra light came with that rubber thing. It does help to keep the light out of your eyes.
I can relate to water. Summer in the Sonoran Desert will kill you pretty fast without it.
I do keep two MIOX purifiers, a Katadyne Pocket filter, Katadyne Mini, and Steripen Traveler with a solar CR123 charger in various bug-out gear, just in case I do find a tank with water in it.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The zebra light came with that rubber thing. It does help to keep the light out of your eyes.
I can relate to water. Summer in the Sonoran Desert will kill you pretty fast without it.
I do keep two MIOX purifiers, a Katadyne Pocket filter, Katadyne Mini, and Steripen Traveler with a solar CR123 charger in various bug-out gear, just in case I do find a tank with water in it.

+1 on the Katadyn's - the pocket filter is good for 50,000 liters and has a 20 year warranty. It also is silver impregnated which is a big help in killing bacteria. Got mine several years ago.

I've never been to big on the MIOX though - pricey, seems overly big on hi-tech but does not produce much volume of water. Also needs batteries to funciton and replacement parts if used much. The only situation I can think where one might be helpful would be if you were too injured to pump the Katadyn.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Miox actually work quite well, but you do need to have some spare batteries around. I like that fact that they kill viruses, which no filter can filter out. They are just too small. Even the filters that have the "iodine screen" actually don't kill the viruses. I'm just paranoid, but I've been in a situation where I could have used it, and didn't have it (wasn't invented at that time).

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Miox actually work quite well, but you do need to have some spare batteries around. I like that fact that they kill viruses, which no filter can filter out. They are just too small. Even the filters that have the "iodine screen" actually don't kill the viruses. I'm just paranoid, but I've been in a situation where I could have used it, and didn't have it (wasn't invented at that time).

I guess I may want to revisit the info on the MIOX. Having a strong chemistry and microbiology background I'd like to know exactly how it kills virii. I don't think it's a real complex process but so far in reading the info on the MIOX I don't have a good feel for exactly what it uses but that may be their way of protecting their technology. I know of 'zappers' that can kill everything in a liquid but those need batteries also. Since they mention electrolysis it may be nothing more than running a current through the water (with a little salt of some sort added - maybe potassium chloride rather than sodium chloride).

Sorry to the OP if we are getting a little off topic here but it seems to have become somewhat of a preparedness thread - one of my strong interests.

gsxrac

Enlightened

While everybodys talking about water purification tablets I would suggest using them as a last ditch effort, from what I understand about them alot of them contain iodine and iodine will severly weaken your kidneys if you ingest too much of it.

Right now I dont have any kind of water filtration or purification stuff in my BOB but I do have a few bottles of water in there. Eventually when I can afford it id like to buy one of the battery powered water purifiers. Since the MSR MIOX uses 2 123's maybe it can use RCR's? anybody tried this?

Ohh yea I still havent gotten an H30? Id say its about time! It also seems like a great idea to test your BOB and BOE in a real life situation without the added stress of actually being in danger. Could be invalueable if you ever have to truly "bug out"

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened

While everybodys talking about water purification tablets I would suggest using them as a last ditch effort, from what I understand about them alot of them contain iodine and iodine will severly weaken your kidneys if you ingest too much of it.

Your body needs a very, very small quantity of iodine, but ingesting a few grams will kill you... Personally, I live in an area where water treatment is considered unnecessary in the bush, as long as the water is rapid flowing and not directly from an area contaminated by human activity or livestock. Such fresh streams are generally easy to find. However, you may find your self unable to move to a favorable water source.

I recommend reading Cody Lundins book 96.8: The art of keeping your *ss alive . Some highlights about water treatment:

• Iodine is poisonous, but...
  • No ill effects has been documented at the doses relevant for water treatment. (Newer studies may prove otherwise). Don't use it for prolonged periods, though.
  • The proper usage and dosage of iodine depends of how the effect is modified by temperature and water quality. Requires some reading.
  • Water treated with high doses tastes like camel dung. Taste may be improved with sitrus flavor after the iodine has done its job.
  • Iodine tincture has a much longer shelf life than tablets, and is probably the vise choice for a survival kit.
Personally, I'd boil questionable water if at all possible. Absolutely sterile without any chemicals...

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah = Boil .

I still remember a friend used to carry a very small bottle of Kerosene to start a fire under difficult conditions , such as snow / or rain .
Wet wood can be a bear to light without an accelerate .
:wave:

AusKipper

Enlightened

Personally, I live in an area where water treatment is considered unnecessary in the bush

Before I moved the nearest "bush" had year round running streams that I could drink straight from (and did on many occasions) with no ill effects.

However I am now in a new location and the only year round water is in dams :(

if SHTF I would be trying to go back home home anyway where there are lots of large water tanks, also, soon i will have a water tank here, so where possible I will be bugging in.

I went out again last night with a friend, and took my full BOB, and learnt 2 things:
1. I have lots of stuff and can live very comfortably for 7 days assuming no water is found, 3 weeks assuming I can find water
2. It all weights a tonne and while I can carry it OK'ish on flat ground but I can barely move up a hill!!

I reviewed all the contents of the bag this morning and decided I want to keep everything so I guess I need to get as fit as I once was :p (shouldnt be too hard, just been so flat out recently no time for exercize).

I also decided I am going to make low weight, high speed low drag bag for just a couple of days that will also assume I dont have my EDC on me (current bag assumes I have my EDC).

As far as torches go this means I am going to have to buy another H501 and another TK20 as the only torches I have left sitting around doing nothing are an E20 (good torch, but I want the "best" in a BOB), TK11 (not AA, GPS is AA, AA solar chargers are cheap, so everything has to be AA) and the E01 (not AA).

Also going to have to buy 4 more eneloops..

15 hours overtime here I come ....

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shhhhhh this is a secret !

Have you tried a golf Buggy/caddy/cart , the two wheel folding ones , buy a strong one and just pull it behind you .

I went looking at tents today , and all the nice ones weighed so much , then I thought - 2 wheel buggy .

AusKipper

Enlightened

Shhhhhh this is a secret !

Have you tried a golf Buggy/caddy/cart , the two wheel folding ones , buy a strong one and just pull it behind you .

I went looking at tents today , and all the nice ones weighed so much , then I thought - 2 wheel buggy .

That would be good with a path, or light off road stuff, even dirt roads and scrub it could handle.. but I dont think it would have helped with the.. almost cliff... I was going up :p

I used to carry that amount of weight walking 20km a day for 3 or 4 days in a row, I have just gotten slack recently. Need to get fitter again. Should only be 3 or 4 months work and I will be able to carry that bag without to much trouble (I mean I already can on the flat..).

As for tents, they are just trouble really, they are either cheap and leak, insanely expensive, or the good old canvas ones, that are too heavy to carry.

I now use "hootchies" exclusively. I take 2 hootchies, folding shovel, hammock, sleeping bag, paracord and self inflating mattress as my shelter/bedding. I improvise pegs out of sticks/rocks/trees i find onsite, saves carrying them.

I dont normally use the hammock, I generally just set up the hootchie, dig a trench around if I think it may rain, and use the second hootchie as a groundsheet if i feel like being clean, or set it up as an additional roof If i want that...

If its going to be freezing cold instead of having the "roof" hootchie up in the trees (like I normally do) you can peg it to the ground, get a stick of the right lenth at one end to keep it off the ground. Lay the second hootchie inside making sure you sort of fold the edges up (so the water goes underneath). Then you can get the shovel, dig a trench around and lightly cover the edge of the "tent" to keep the breeze out.

There is of course still one open end of the tent, so you need to try and aim this away from the wind, and/or build a wind-break out of sticks and dirt (remember you have a shovel now.. ).

If your short enough to crawl down the end and pull up the groundsheet to block the entrance you can do that, unfortunatly I am not lol.

In summary, Hootchies are better because they are simple, light, cheapish and adaptable. For the space of 1 tent you could carry 4 of them, imagine the options then :p