The Fenix itch

Flashaholic_71

Newly Enlightened
I seem to remember something about a "proprietary" battery, but I'm sure you could buy them separately anyways... if it is removable easily.

Fenix ARB-L1 is the name of the battery by fenix that the RC-10 brings , I see on Fenix web site that they sell an ARB-L2 rechargeable battery witch they compare with an 18650 but the RC-10 uses a smaller battery than the 18650 . In the you tube video i posted before shows the size diference of the 18650 & the ARBL1. Too remove the battery all you have to do is twist off the tail cap & Insert . i would buy 1 or 2 extra battery's if they came out for sale.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who knew someday 300 ANSI throwy lumens would be a drawback?? :shrug: I bet Fenix chose the R5 to make it a very good camping flashlight and I'm sure it is.

I still work with my 180 throwy emitter lumen PD20 and I feel I have exactly what I need.

I only mentioned it as a drawback coz if you notice the lights coming out today, its all about lumens. Compared to the XT2C, ED20 and a few other lights, the PD32's actually underpowered and outgunned. Not that im saying its an inferior product, Fenix makes great lights and i own lots of their lights. For relative sizes, and identical pricing, wouldnt you get the brighter one? Seems logical. Maybe not need all 500-600 lumens all the time, but wouldnt it be nice to be there for that "when you need it" situation.

Let's face it, we all want pocket rockets. That is why the SC600 sells so good despite the QC issues and high pricing. :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only mentioned it as a drawback coz if you notice the lights coming out today, its all about lumens. Compared to the XT2C, ED20 and a few other lights, the PD32's actually underpowered and outgunned. Not that im saying its an inferior product, Fenix makes great lights and i own lots of their lights. For relative sizes, and identical pricing, wouldnt you get the brighter one? Seems logical. Maybe not need all 500-600 lumens all the time, but wouldnt it be nice to be there for that "when you need it" situation.

Let's face it, we all want pocket rockets. That is why the SC600 sells so good despite the QC issues and high pricing. :)

I wasn't slamming you for saying 300 lumens is a drawback, it was just my way of putting emphasis on the fact that we would have drooled over such a package with 300 lumens / 2 hours runtime no more than 2 years ago. Even more so for a 130 lumen high with 8 hours runtime :drool: Let's face reality: If you really do need more than 300 lumens other than for fun or SAR, you're in serious trouble to start with.

Let's get back to flashaholic reality: Sure, I like to have 500+ lumens and I'll use 500 lumens if I have that and it's not blinding me. I guess I have so many lights by now that I got to the point that high lumens kinda come second to my needs in beam profile, interface, runtime and color rendition.

I do think Fenix made a good decision by keeping the PD32 on the throwy side and giving it some serious runtimes, thought - all the new lights go for flood now. In the numbers the SC600 definitely beats the PD32, though, but I bet the PD32 throws a little further. The PD32 is also slimmer, but that's user preference stuff ;). In the end, each light has its purpose... :)

Flashaholic_71

Newly Enlightened
Or just buy a flashlight that doesn't try to corral you into using even a semi-proprietary battery.

I was looking foward for the Rc-10 and i am happy with it . I thought at 1st i was not going to like it ,but i can say i like it more than some of the other older models i have...

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I've got the impression that they are similar to 4sevens in terms of quality and marketing, am I right?

must resist the temptation to badmouth 4sevens' lights.. must resist... must say nice things...

Fenix is better than many brands out there.. no pre-flash.. less tint lottery.. not many people left scratching their head as they inspect for quality after buying one.

Some brands just have a more loyal fan base.

but yeah.. not too much of a difference between them all at the end of the day

edit: i may be more than a little biased...

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looks like the PC20 cannot support an 18650. Otherwise looks like a decent light.
You are right the PC20 does not support the 18650. It does work fine with the 17670 Lio-on. The PC20 has XM-L T6 though and the PD31/PD32 throw a bit further and has better runtimes, at least on Lio-ons thanks to the 18650 compatibility.

I got a PD31 too and I was lucky to get one from the later batches with a very clean beam. I saw some people here were using the PD32 forward clicky tailcap so I bought a spare one too together with a spare black clip. The PD31 is a very solid light and so must be the PD32 if you don't mind the side mode switch.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I got the PD32 a few weeks ago. I tried to resist because I wanted to get away from Li-ion. That didn't work out, I still like Li-ion. (Its Labrador72's fault, lol, he suggested the PD32 awhile back and it has been calling to me.) The main attraction for me was the identical UI to the LD12 and LD22 that I already had. I really love it, its a great light. I know its not the brightest 18650 out there, but it just feels solid to me and has the throwy brightness I was looking for with great run time. My LD12 is still my main edc during the day for its smaller size and near-mindless eneloop battery charging/changing.

I grab the PD32 when I know I will be outdoors after dark. Great for checking the woods around my house when I'm roaming around. Bigger than my LD12, but still easily pocketed. I think the TK35 would be fun to play with but would push the limit of what I want to pocket carry and it would end up being left home when I need it. I don't care for the RC10 battery and charging system, but I know some guys would prefer a setup like that.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the PD32 a few weeks ago. I tried to resist because I wanted to get away from Li-ion. That didn't work out, I still like Li-ion. (Its Labrador72's fault, lol, he suggested the PD32 awhile back and it has been calling to me.) The main attraction for me was the identical UI to the LD12 and LD22 that I already had. I really love it, its a great light. I know its not the brightest 18650 out there, but it just feels solid to me and has the throwy brightness I was looking for with great run time. My LD12 is still my main edc during the day for its smaller size and near-mindless eneloop battery charging/changing.

LOL! I'm flattered that I gave someody the sickness about a light! Much more so in a flashaholic forum! : )

Jokes aside, to me having 1xAA, 2xAA, and the 1x18650 versions of the same light one likes makes a lot of sense: same operation but different size and different performance depending on the need. No risk of fumbling around because one is used to a different UI, compatible accessories and legoability, to some extent, in case something breaks at the wrong moment.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Just throwing in there the TK21 U2 is worth a look too. At the very least the head is covered in the holster :)

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Jokes aside, to me having 1xAA, 2xAA, and the 1x18650 versions of the same light one likes makes a lot of sense: same operation but different size and different performance depending on the need. No risk of fumbling around because one is used to a different UI, compatible accessories and legoability, to some extent, in case something breaks at the wrong moment.
That's why I try not to look too closely at many of the great lights talked about on the forums; I could easily end up buying the whole family of each light.

No thinking or fumbling to switch between carrying the LD12,LD22 and PD32. After just a short time with these, I found myself squeezing the sides of my other lights when I pick them up looking for a switch that is not there.